Ferry from Sorrento to Capri
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
There are usually more than 20 ferry crossings from Sorrento to Capri. This service is offered by 4 companies: Caremar, SNAV, Alilauro and Navigazione Libera del Golfo (NLG).
Please bear in mind that ferry timetables are subject to change from season to season. You can check our fare search engine for the latest ferry timetables and book your ferry tickets with no extra fees.
How long is the ferry ride from Sorrento to Capri?
The duration of the ferry from the port of Sorrento to Capri is around 20 to 30 min. Please, keep in mind that travel time depends on weather conditions and the type of ferry.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
Yes, the fastest ferry to Capri from Sorrento takes about 20 min by high-speed boats (hydrofoils).
How much is the ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
The price of a ferry ticket from Sorrento to Capri is around €20. The ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on vehicle and seat selection, as well as available discounts. If you take a return ticket, you will be eligible for a discount.
Some ferry companies offer discount tickets for children. Children up to 2 years travel for free while children between 2 and 12 years old can benefit from a reduced ticket (around €10).
Tip: you can also travel with your pet by ferry for an additional cost of around €5.
What’s the ferry schedule from Sorrento to Capri?
There are normally 20 daily ferry crossings from Sorrento to Capri. The earliest ferry from Sorrento to Capri departs at around 07:15 and arrives in Capri around 07:35. The latest departure is usually at 19:25 for an arrival a little before 20:00.
What’s the distance between Sorrento and Capri?
The distance between Sorrento and Capri is 9 nautical miles (approximately 16km).
Am I allowed to travel from Sorrento to Capri?
Yes, travelling from Sorrento to Capri is possible. When you start planning your holidays, take a look at the latest updates on Covid-19 and ferry travel in Italy including all the documents required for your trip.
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Sorrento to Capri?
The breathtaking view of the magnificent Faraglioni rocks in Capri, Italy
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Sorrento to Capri
Here are some important travel tips for your trip from Sorrento to Capri:
- During the summer months, it is preferable to arrive at the port of Sorrento at least an hour before boarding to avoid delays.
- Ferry times change frequently. Make sure to check the ferry timetable from Sorrento to Capri again a few days before your departure.
- In case of hazardous weather conditions, ferry services are usually suspended. Please make sure to always consult with the company you are traveling with.
- You can also take a ferry from Sorrento to Naples, from Sorrento to Ischia and from Sorrento to Castellammare di Stabia.
- Explore southern Italy starting from Capri to Naples and Positano. With the ferry crossings available from Capri to Naples or from Capri to Positano, you can reach the capital of Campania or explore the breathtaking landscapes of the Amalfi Coast.
Where to take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri
The port of Sorrento is accessible by car, train or bus. It’s just a 7-minute walk from the city center (Piazza Tasso) and is easily accessible by public transport. It is about 50km from Capodichino Airport and about 1 hr from the Naples central railway station by taking the Circumvesuviana railway line.
Ferries and hydrofoils to Capri depart from the port of Marina Piccola which is located close to Sorrento’s historical center. There, you can find bars, restaurants, shops and several paid parking lots for long or short-term stays.
Tip: the Sorrento Lift provides access between Villa Comunale Park and Marina Piccola
Each ferry company from Sorrento to Capri has its own baggage allowance policy. Specifically:
- On the ferries of NLG passengers can have 1 piece of luggage up to 50x30x15cm. The limit for carry-on luggage is up to 5kg. Suitcases, travel bags and backpacks are considered luggage.
- On Alilauro ferries, passengers can bring a single luggage with maximum dimensions of 50x35x20cm and weighing up to 9kg.
- SNAV allows passengers to bring 1 piece of hand luggage weighing up to 9kg and with a maximum size of 50x35x20cm.
- With Caremar it is possible to carry 1 piece of hand luggage weighing 20kg at most and with a maximum size of 50x40x20cm at no extra cost.
Tip: please note that ferry companies charge fees for additional baggage and baggage exceeding the size and/or weight policy.
Given the short duration of the Sorrento - Capri route, there are no cabins on the vessels. Only standard seats are available on this ferry route.
Can I travel on the ferry from Sorrento to Capri with a car?
Caremar ferry company operates some of the crossings from Sorrento to Capri allowing the transfer of vehicles to the island.
Be aware that from April to the end of October, traffic on the island is prohibited for motor vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc.) except for permanent residents of the island. If you are traveling with your vehicle, there are a few low-cost parking lots near the port.
If you doubt whether or not you can transfer your vehicle to the island of Capri, you can always contact your travel ferry company beforehand.
However, if it's not possible for you to transfer your vehicle to Capri, you can take public transport, get around by taxi or rent a scooter or bicycle.