How to get from Sorrento to Capri by ferry
The ferry route from Sorrento to the island of Capri is available with more than 30 daily connections. Find the latest information for this route on our ferry guide.
Is there a ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
There are more than 30 daily crossings from the port of Sorrento to the port of Capri. The ferry companies that normally operate on this route are Alilauro, Navigazione Libera del Golfo (NLG), Caremar and SNAV. There are only high-speed ferries on the Sorrento - Capri route.
Check real-time schedules and book ferry tickets online from Sorrento to Capri on Ferryhopper.
How long is the ferry ride from Sorrento to Capri?
The duration of the ferry ride from Sorrento to Capri is quite short and it takes around 20 min.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
Ferries from Sorrento to Capri are all high-speed vessels and they reach the island in approximately 20 min.
How much is the ferry from Sorrento to Capri?
The price of the ferry ticket from Sorrento to Capri is around €20, but it can reach rates of €50 in the high season. The ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on ferry company, discounts, as well as vehicle selection or time of the year.
Good to know: Although it is possible to buy ferry tickets directly at the port, we recommend that you purchase them online in advance. This is a very popular and busy route, and seats sell out quickly.
What’s the ferry schedule from Sorrento to Capri?
The Sorrento - Capri route is active all year round and there are more than 30 everyday crossings. The departures are particularly frequent (approximately one every 30 min).
The earliest ferry usually departs at 07:45 and arrives in Capri around 08:10. The latest departure from Sorrento is around 19:25 in the evening and the ferry arrives in Capri at 19:45.
What’s the distance between Sorrento and Capri?
The distance between Sorrento and Capri is approximately 9 nautical miles (16km).
Am I allowed to travel from Sorrento to Capri?
At the moment, there are no travel restrictions for the island of Capri, and neither EU COVID-19 Certificate nor Covid-19 tests are required. However, some ferry companies may require a booking reservation to be made 24 hours before departure or perform a temperature check before boarding.
Keep in mind that measures may change, so we invite you to contact the ferry company for up-to-date information.
The famous cliffs of Capri
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Sorrento to Capri?
You can book cheap ferry tickets from Sorrento to Capri online on Ferryhopper. On our Map of ferries, you can find the available ferry routes, compare companies and prices, and book your ferry trip to Capri in just a few clicks.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Sorrento to Capri
Here are some travel tips for your trip from Sorrento to Capri:
- We recommend that you arrive at the port of Sorrento at least 1 hr before departure. The port can get quite busy, especially in the summer season.
- Ferry schedules might change, so if you are planning a last-minute trip, it is always good to check your departure time again a few days before your trip.
- In case of very rough sea the ferry services could be suspended. It is always advisable to check out the latest updates of the company you travel with.
- To get to Capri Old Town, you can use the ATC public bus service or the funicular railway. It connects Marina Grande to Capri in 5 min and departures are approximately every 15 min.
- From Capri you can also travel to the ports of Naples and Positano by ferry. Thanks to the ferry connections from Capri to Naples and from Capri to Positano you can reach the stunning capital city of the Campania region and the beautiful Amalfi coast.
- The town of Sorrento is located 50km south of Naples. You can get there by train, bus, car or ferry. Take a look at the Naples - Sorrento ferry route and plan an unforgettable adventure in the beautiful Gulf of Naples.
Where to take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri
Ferries from Sorrento to Capri depart from the port of Marina Piccola. You can get to the port by following the stairs that start from Piazza Tasso.
Can I travel on the ferry from Sorrento to Capri with a car?
From April to the beginning of November, the circulation of cars, motorcycles and mopeds is prohibited for non-residents. If you are traveling by car, you need to leave your vehicle at a parking lot in the mainland.
Tip: Before booking your tickets, you can consult the City of Capri Official website and make sure you can board your vehicle.
In case it is not allowed, you don't have to worry! Getting around Capri is very easy, since the public transport network covers the whole island. You can also take a taxi or choose between scooter, boat or bicycle rental options.
Each ferry company has its own baggage allowance policy.
Here are more details about ferry luggage on board ferries to Capri:
- On board Alilauro vessels, you can carry a single piece of baggage with a maximum size of 50x35x20 cm and a weight not exceeding 9kg. Special rates apply for additional baggage and excess baggage in size and/or weight.
- On NLG ferries, each passenger has the right to take a hand luggage of 5kg with a maximum size of 50x30x15 cm.
- On Caremar ferries it is possible to carry a hand luggage of 20kg or 10kg (depending on the type of vessel) with maximum dimensions equal to 50x40x20 cm.
- SNAV allows passengers to carry on board a single hand luggage with a maximum size of 50x35x20 cm and a weight not exceeding 9kg.
Given the short duration of the Sorrento - Capri route, there are no cabins on the vessels. Only standard seats are available on this ferry route.