Weather Disruptions & Ferry Strikes
Are you experiencing trip delays or other disruptions? Find out all you need to know about ferry delays and journey cancellations on our page.
In this section we provide a summary of the policy of ferry companies in case of ferry delays and cancellations. We also provide an outline of the rules on passenger rights as detailed by the relevant authorities. Company policies and passenger rights are determined by the ferry operators and the relevant authorities and not by Ferryhopper. Therefore, Ferryhopper is not liable for any modification of these policies and rules. For more detailed information on ferry disruptions and compensations please read the companies’ policies.
If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Our customer support team will be more than happy to provide the information you need!
It is important to mention that it is not common for ferries to be canceled or delayed. Sometimes, however, the ferry company may not be able to avoid it (e.g. in case of a technical issue with the ferry).
Please note that we will immediately notify you as soon as we are informed about a ferry delay or cancellation and we will help you find the best alternative route according to your needs and travel plans. There is also a possibility that you will be notified directly by the ferry operator (via email or SMS) without further notification from our side, in case the schedule change occurs last minute.
We understand how frustrating this situation can be and we will do our best to find the most convenient solution for you, especially when there is a chance that you might miss your connecting ferry or encounter problems with your accommodation.
In case your ferry is canceled and the ferry company is responsible:
- If the ferry operator informs you about the cancellation at least one week before your scheduled departure, then we can check the possibility of a full refund of your ticket(s).
- If you have not been notified about the cancellation prior to your departure, then the ferry company usually provides an alternative trip to the same destination at no extra cost. If there is no available alternative, we can claim a full refund of your ticket(s).
Please note that as a ticket provider, Ferryhopper is not responsible for delays, cancellations or costs that have occurred due to the aforementioned.
All claims for refunds are submitted from our side and we carry the communication between the customer and the ferry operator, although the final decision stays with the ferry company.
If ferry sailings are disrupted due to a strike, we will notify all passengers whose trip is affected as soon as the local port authority makes an official announcement. Please remember that we have no control over the disruption of ferry sailings due to strikes. We understand that these disruptions can be very frustrating for all travelers and we will do our best to help you.
In case of a ferry strike, we advise you the following:
- If you were required to collect your paper tickets and you haven’t done so yet, we suggest that you don’t collect them, especially if you wish to cancel the tickets and get a refund. If you pick up your tickets, then you will need to return them in order for the refund to be processed.
- If you can change your travel dates, we recommend that you choose a ferry that departs before the day of the strike, as ferry schedules may be affected on the days following the strike.
If your ferry is canceled due to adverse weather conditions, one of the following alternatives is usually applicable:
- Changing your ferry ticket to a ticket of equal value.
- Canceling your ticket with a request sent to the ferry operator for a full refund.
If you decide to cancel your tickets, the cancellation process differs depending on whether you have already picked up your paper tickets (in case this is required by the ferry operator) or not:
- If you have NOT collected the tickets for the canceled trip, please fill in our online contact form, so that we can process your cancellation request immediately. Make sure that you inform us about the cancellation, as refunds cannot be processed automatically.
- If you have already picked up the tickets for the canceled trip, you must return your tickets in order to change or cancel them, according to the policy of ferry companies.
You can return them to any of the following locations:
- If you are still in Athens, you can return your tickets to Ferryhopper’s offices. If that is not convenient for you, you can send us the tickets by courier or post. We strongly recommend that you send them via registered post. Please note that Ferryhopper is not responsible for the loss of your tickets in the post. Our contact details are:
Thessalonikis 147, Moschato 183 46,
+30 210 2208496
(Mon-Fri 08:00-18:00 and Saturday 10:00-15:00)
- If you are not in Athens, you can return your tickets to any of the local travel agencies that collaborate with the ferry company you are traveling with. You can find the local travel agencies and their contact details by clicking on the collection points link in your booking confirmation email.
The travel agent will cancel and stamp your tickets. They are required to either keep the canceled tickets and give you your refund / modify your trip or return the canceled tickets to you so that you can return them to Ferryhopper’s offices in person or send them to us by courier or post (please find our address above). We strongly recommend that you send them via registered post. Please note that Ferryhopper is not responsible for the loss of your tickets in the post.
As soon as we receive your tickets, we will process the cancellation, issue your refund and notify you by email.
Frequently asked questions
Looking for something else?
Haven't found an answer to your question? Please do not hesitate to send us a message or give us a call. Our customer support team will be happy to help.Contact us