Ferry from Dover to Calais
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Dover to Calais?
The Dover - Calais ferry route is available all year round, with up to 25 crossings a day. The route is operated by 3 ferry companies: DFDS, P&O Ferries and Irish Ferries.
Important: on DFDS and Irish Ferries you can't travel from Dover to Calais as a foot passenger. You can only travel with a vehicle.
Am I allowed to travel from Dover to Calais?
Yes, it is possible to travel from Dover to Calais. Before planning your trip, take a look at the latest updates on Covid-19 and ferry travel in France, including all the documents required for your journey.
What’s the ferry schedule from Dover to Calais?
At the moment, the Dover - Calais route is normally served up to 25 times daily.
The earliest ferry usually departs from Dover at 04:40 and reaches Calais at 07:10. The latest ferry to Calais from Dover usually departs at 23:50, arriving in Calais at 02:20.
Every day, there are also several Dover - Calais crossings after midnight, such as crossings scheduled at 00:10, 01:40 or 03:20.
Tip: bear in mind that ferry timetables may change. Therefore, make sure to check your travel time before your trip. You can also track your ferry in real time on the Ferryhopper App!
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Dover to Calais?
The Dover - Calais ferry tickets start at around €70. The final ticket price depends on vehicle selection, discounts, offers, and seat type.
The ferry ticket cost also depends on the booking date: fares are higher if you wish to travel that very day or the next 2 days.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Calais from Dover. Take a look at our ferry routes, find the lowest prices and best offers, and book your ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with no hidden fees.
Current offers will be automatically applied when booking your ferry tickets.
Take advantage of the available discounts and travel by ferry from Dover to Calais with lower-cost ferry tickets. Ferry companies offer special discounts for specific passenger categories, such as:
- Children up to 15 years old
- Families with children
Note: children up to 3 years travel for free.
Ferry Route Info
How long is the ferry ride from Dover to Calais?
The ferry ride from Dover to Calais usually lasts 1 hr 30 min.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Dover to Calais?
The ferries operating the route from Dover to Calais are normally conventional. The fastest ferry reaches Calais in 1.5 hours.
What’s the distance between Dover and Calais?
The distance between the port of Dover in the UK and the port of Calais in France is around 27 nautical miles (approximately 50 km).
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip to Calais from Dover
Here are some travel tips for your trip from Dover to Calais:
- Make sure to arrive at the Dover port well in advance. Check-in closes 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure time for foot passengers and 60 minutes prior for all other categories of traffic. The dedicated shuttle bus for foot passengers will leave when check-in closes (90 minutes before your sailing).
- Since there is a 1-hour time difference between the UK and France, don’t get confused! The ferry trip takes 1.5 hours, and not 2.5 hours
- To travel from the UK to France, you should carry with you either a valid passport or an officially recognised European Union ID card.
- Dover - Calais is the fastest ferry crossing from UK to France. The close proximity of the two ports makes Calais a popular day-trip destination in France from the UK, and vice versa.
- From Calais, you can also travel by train (TER) or bus to Lille (Hauts-de-France region) in less than 1.5 hr, and to Paris in a bit more than 3 hr. Brussels is also just a few hours drive from Calais, if you want to cross the border to Belgium.
Where to take the ferry from Dover to Calais
Ferries to Calais depart regularly from the port of Dover in southeastern England, which is one of the world's busiest passenger ports.
Dover is around 112 km from London and you can get to the port by car in less than 2.5 hours, via the M20 which merges into the A20 at Folkstone. You can also travel from London to Dover by train. Dover Priory is the nearest train station to Dover ferry Terminals. You can walk from the station to the Passenger Terminal in about 25 min.
If you are traveling to Calais as a foot passenger, you will get to the Passenger Terminal building at Dover’s Eastern Docks first. You will then take a shuttle bus from the Passenger Terminal building to your ferry.
You will find all necessary amenities in the Passenger Services Building (PSB), located on the west side of the port. Facilities include cash and currency services, toilets, cash point, vending machines, free Wi-Fi access, restaurants, and a games room.
Can I travel on the ferry from Dover to Calais with a car?
Yes, you can transfer your vehicle from Dover to Calais.
Each ferry company has its own luggage policy:
- On DFDS ferries, each passenger can carry up to 50 kg of luggage.The luggage must be taken by yourself from and on board. Note that there are no luggage carts.
- On Irish Ferries, passengers travelling by car may bring as much personal luggage as they can fit into their vehicle.
- On P&O Ferries, there are no specific limits on ferry luggage.
Since the ferry trip is short (1.5 hours), there are no cabins available on the Dover - Calais ferries.
Yes, you can travel with your pet on ferries that travel from Dover to Calais.
Make sure you carry your pet’s passport and health documents with you.
Note: each ferry company has its own pet policy, so make sure to check it or contact the company before your trip with your 4-legged friend.
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Dover to Calais?
You can book cheap ferry tickets from Dover to Calais online on Ferryhopper. Use our Map of ferries to visualize and plan your Dover - Calais ferry trip. Compare ferry companies and fares, and book your ferry trip in just a few clicks!