Rafina is the second busiest port in Attica serving about 2 million passengers per year. It is located on the northeast coast of Athens and it’s one of the main getaways to the Cyclades and the islands of the northeast Aegean Sea. Book online ferry tickets from Rafina on Ferryhopper in just 4 clicks.
Overview of Rafina’s port, with the coastal roads and the passenger terminal
Rafina- gates and destinations
Compared to the other ports of Athens, the port of Rafina is located closer to the northwestern Cyclades. For this reason, ferries from Rafina are the easiest and fastest way to reach Andros, Tinos and Mykonos.
The passenger port of Rafina has one large terminal, which has 13 ramps for conventional ferries and 2 ramps for high-speed vessels. The positions of the ferries are easily reached on foot, as the pier is located a few meters from the entrance of the port.
During the summer, the port of Rafina can get very crowded due to the multiple ferry departures and arrivals. We, therefore, recommend that you arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to your ferry departure especially if you are traveling with your vehicle.
Ferry routes from the port of Rafina
There are numerous daily ferry crossings from the port of Rafina all year round. The ferries from Rafina usually travel to the Cyclades, Crete and the islands of the northeast Aegean Sea. There are also regular ferry services from Rafina to Marmari in Evia.
The most popular ferry routes from Rafina:
- Ferry from Rafina to the north Cyclades: The port of Rafina is the easiest way to get to Andros, Tinos and Mykonos throughout the whole year. The Rafina - Andros trip takes 1 to 2 hours, the ferry Rafina-Tinos takes 2 to 3 hours and the ferry Rafina - Mykonos can be from 2,5 to 4 hours.
- Ferry from Rafina to central and south Cyclades: During the summer months there are numerous ferries from Rafina to the islands of the Cyclades. For example, some of the most popular routes are Rafina-Milos or Rafina-Santorini.
- Ferry from Rafina to Crete: This is a seasonal route with weekly crossings during the summer. The ferry from Rafina to Heraklio in Crete takes about 9 hours and it usually passes from central islands in the Cyclades such as Naxos or Santorini.
- Ferry from Rafina to northeast Aegean: During the summer months there are usually direct ferries from Rafina to Ikaria or Samos.
Ferries moored at the port of Rafina
How do I get to the port of Rafina?
The port of Rafina is located 33 km east of the center of Athens. It is very close to the Athens International airport Eleftherios Venizelos and it’s also connected with the national road Athinon-Lamias (A1/E75).
If you have a car or motorbike, you can reach the port of Rafina via Leoforos Marathonos avenue (the extension of Leoforos Mesogeion avenue) or via Attiki Odos (A6/E94) in the direction of Markopoulo and exit to Rafina.
If you don’t have a vehicle you can reach Rafina by public transport. Check out how:
- By Intercity bus (KTEL): You can get from the center of Athens to Rafina with the intercity bus routes of KTEL Attikis. The buses depart from Pedion tou Areos every hour and the journey takes around 1,5 hours. Please bear in mind the city traffic and make sure you catch an earlier bus to make sure you make it on time for your ferry departure. The price of the bus ticket for the bus to Rafina is 3€.
- City buses (ΟΑSΑ): The bus 314 (St. Douk. Plakentias - Rafina) departs from the metro station of Doukissis Plakentias (Line 3) and stops near the port of Rafina. The distance from the bus stop to the port is about 10 minutes by taxi. The 314 bus routes run approximately every hour and the journey takes about 45 minutes. For this route, you can use the Athens Transport tickets and cards.
- Taxi: The taxi ride from Omonia or Syntagma to Rafina takes about 1 hour, depending on the traffic. It costs about 50€ during the day and 65€ with the night tariff (00:00-05:00).
The airport of Athens is a 30-minute drive from the port of Rafina. You can easily get from the airport to the port by public transport:
- Intercity bus (KTEL): The buses of KTEL Attikis have frequent routes from the airport that depart from the Arrivals level. The bus stop is right opposite the entrance of the Sofitel Hotel, between arrival exits 2 and 3. The departures are approximately every hour and the journey takes about 30 minutes. The ticket cost from the airport to Rafina is 4 €, while children under 6 years old travel for free.
- Taxi: There is a taxi rank at the Arrivals level of the airport. Depending on the traffic, the route airport - Rafina by taxi can take from 20 to 40 minutes. The cost is around 35-40€ during the day and 50€ with the night tariff (00:00-05:00).
Tip: If you want to skip the lines, Ferryhopper in collaboration with Welcome Pickups offers a transfer service to and from the port of Rafina. Book your transfer to/from Rafina on our page in advance and travel safely and comfortably in Athens.
Parking at the port of Rafina
There is no free parking in the port of Rafina, unless you leave your vehicle a little further from the entrance of the port, on the nearby streets of the town. The municipal parking of Rafina is 3 minutes away from the port terminals and prices start from 4,5€ for the first 6 hours of parking. Near the port, there are also private parking lots, which offer the possibility of parking in a sheltered area.
Swimming close to the port of Rafina and watching the ferry departures and arrivals
Useful info and travel tips for the port of Rafina
Rafina is a 45-minute drive from the center of Athens and is the seat of the Municipality of Rafina - Pikermi. The port is located very close to the center of the town of Rafina and is easily accessible on foot or by car.
At the entrance of the port, there are 3 waiting spaces for passengers, 1 waiting room and 2 sheltered areas. In less than 10 minutes walk from the port entrance you can find:
- Travel agencies in Kamares (250 meters from the port terminals)
- The Port Authority of Rafina (200 meters from the port)
- ATM (Piraeus bank) in Kamares
- More bank branches in Arafinidon street (500 meters from the port)
- KTEL Attikis bus stop
- Mini markets and kiosks
- Tavernas and restaurants
Tip: When your ferry tickets online on Ferryhopper you will receive an email with detailed information about the ticket collection points in the port of Rafina.
Important numbers for the port of Rafina
Some contact numbers that could be of assistance while in Rafina:
- Rafina Port Authority: +30 2294321200 - 201
- Rafina port offices: +30 2294022840
- Rafina Citizen services: +30 2294078870
- Rafina Medical Center: +30 2294320011
- Rafina Police: +30 2294022100
- KTEL Attikis routes information: +30 2108808080, +30 2108808117
- Rafina intercity bus terminal: +30 2294023440
What to do in Rafina
The port of Rafina is very close to the center of the town, where you will find many stores and useful services. If you have time, we suggest you take a walk in the city and sit in one of the ouzeri and tavernas that are famous for their (fish) delicacies.
Within 5 minutes from the port, on a small hill with an impressive view of the Aegean sea, you can find the beautiful church of Agios Nikolaos - the trademark of Rafina.
If you want to swim before or after your trip, we recommend going to the beautiful beach of Marikes, about 1.5 km south of the port. One part of the beach has umbrellas but if you walk a bit you can access smaller coves for a more secluded time.
The church of Agios Nikolaos, 5 minutes from the port of Rafina, with a wonderful view
Where to book ferry tickets online from Rafina
On Ferryhopper you can book online ferry tickets from Rafina at no extra cost. Compare all ferry routes, ferry companies, schedules and ticket prices and book the trip to your favorite islands in the easiest way.
Travel tips & links
Rafina ferry timetable
View the complete ferry schedule from and to Rafina for the upcoming week. Find up-to-date trip information, including departure and arrival dates and times, ferry operators and ticket prices.