Traveling from Athens (port of Rafina) to Mykonos by ferry
Ferries from Athens, and more specifically from Rafina to Mykonos operate on a daily basis throughout the year. During winter, only conventional ferries operate on this crossing, while from May to late October, high-speed catamarans also serve this ferry route. The price for a ferry ticket starts from 19€ and can reach up to 70€ per person. The trip duration is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes for conventional ferries, and around 2 hours and 10 minutes for high-speed vessels.
Ferry schedules from Athens (port of Rafina) to Mykonos*
How frequent are ferries from Rafina to Mykonos?
You can find a ferry to take you from Athens (Rafina port) to Mykonos at any time, as schedules are performed on a daily basis. In high-season, there will be at least 4-5 ferries per day departing during morning and afternoon hours. During winter months where traffic on Mykonos island is substantially lower, only one or two ferries operate on a daily basis on this crossing.
Which port of Mykonos do I arrive at?
Mykonos has two ports, the "Old" and the "New" port, located approximately 1 kilometer from each other. However, the old one is currently reserved for smaller ferries, while all the rest (large conventional ferries and large catamarans) arrive at the new port. A rule of thumb would be: "If your ferry carries cars, then it uses the New Port". However, as this may be subject to change (even last minute change e.g. bad weather conditions), we suggest that you contact the local agent or the port authorities in order to confirm the port of your arrival.
How long is the ferry ride from Rafina to Mykonos?
The large vessels that operate throughout the year (conventional ferries) perform this crossing in approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes. Starting on late March or early April, SeaJets and Golden Star Ferries employ high speed ferries on this route, performing the crossing in 2.5 hours.
Tips for your trip
- Although Rafina is closer to Mykonos, you may also consider the port of Piraeus to go from Athens to Mykonos.
- Tickets to Mykonos sell out fast during high-season (June - August). If you are planning a trip during this period, make sure to pre-book your ferry tickets as soon as possible.
- In our pages, you can find useful travel information about Mykonos.
- If you are visiting for more days and you do not want to spend a fortune on accommodations, you should definitely book a place to stay as early as possible; at least 4-5 months in advance.
- Island hopping around Mykonos is the best! Check our Ferry Map to discover nearby islands.