Lavrio (or Lavrion) is the third-largest passenger port in Athens and serves about 180 thousand passengers annually. It is located on the southeast coast of Attica and serves ferry routes from Athens to the Cyclades and the islands of the Northeast Aegean. Book online ferry tickets from Lavrio on Ferryhopper in just 4 clicks!
The coastal town of Lavrio, with sailing boats and yachts at the pier
Lavrio - gates and destinations
The port of Lavrio is located just 1 km from the center of the coastal town of Lavrio. It is a modern port serving passenger ferries, freight ferries, yachts, sailing boats, fishing boats and cruise ships.
The passenger terminals are located on the east side of the port. The pier is 250 meters long and includes 5 ramps for passenger ferries. The ferries departing from the port of Lavrion serve the islands of the Cyclades, mainly Kea and Kythnos, as well as ports in the northeast Aegean Sea.
The ferry gates can be easily reached on foot or by taxi from the center of Lavrio, as well as by car or motorbike via Leoforos Lavriou avenue. During the summer months, traffic in and around the port may be increased. For this reason, we recommend that you arrive at the port at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before departure, especially if you are traveling with your vehicle.
View of the port of Lavrio as seen on Google Earth -on the top right you can see the passenger terminals
Ferry routes from the port of Lavrio
Due to its location on the southeast coast of Athens, the port of Lavrio is convenient for traveling to the Cyclades and the islands of the northeast Aegean. The port of Lavrio is the main getaway to Kea (Tzia) and Kythnos and the main connection between Athens and northern Greece. Here are some more details about the most popular ferry routes from Lavrio:
- The ferry from Lavrio to Kea (Tzia) operates regularly all year round, and in the summer months, there are at least 2 sailings per day. The journey lasts just 1 hour, which makes it perfect for a weekend getaway.
- The ferry from Lavrio to Kythnos is the easiest way to get to the island of Kythnos. The ferry route is frequent throughout the whole year and the journey lasts from 1,5 to 2,5 hours, depending on the itinerary.
- The ferry from Lavrio to Lemnos is regular throughout the year and the route frequency depends on the season or the weather. The ferry trip ranges from 10 to 15 hours depending on the itinerary.
- The ferry from Lavrio to Kavala is the main way to get to northern Greece by ferry from Athens. There are usually 2 weekly sailings all year round and the trip duration from Athens to Kavala can be from 16 to 21 hours.
Small, quiet bays near the port of Lavrion
How do I get to the port of Lavrio?
The port of Lavrio is located about 60 km from the center of Athens and 30 km from the Athens International Airport in Spata.
If you have a car or motorbike, you can access the port of Lavrio either through Leoforos Lavriou Avenue (continuation of Leoforos Markopoulou avenue), or through Attiki Odos (in the direction of Markopoulo), or from Mesogeion Avenue. If you are coming from the southern suburbs of Athens, it is more convenient to go to the port of Lavrio from Leoforos Vouliagmenis avenue towards Vari and then follow Leoforos Evelpidon avenue (Varis - Koropiou), which leads you to Leoforos Markopoulou avenue.
If you do not have your own vehicle, the main ways to reach the port of Lavrio from the center of Athens are:
- By taxi: The journey from Omonia or Syntagma takes about 1,5 hours. It costs about 60€ during the day and 80€ with night tariff (00:00-05:00).
- By intercity bus (KTEL): The center of Athens is connected to Lavrio by the intercity bus routes of KTEL Attikis. The buses depart from Pedion tou Areos every 30 minutes to 1 hour and the journey takes around 2 hours. Please bear in mind the city traffic and make sure you catch an earlier bus to make sure you make it on time for your ferry departure. The price of the bus ticket for the bus to Lavrio is around 5-6€.
The Athens international airport Eleftherios Venizelos is a 30-minute drive from the port of Lavrio. The easiest ways to get from the airport to the port of Lavrio by public transport are:
- By taxi: It usually takes about 30 minutes to get to the port of Lavrio by taxi from the airport in Athens. On weekdays it might take 10-20 minutes more because of the traffic. There is a taxi rank right outside the airport. The cost of the ride is about 50€ during the day and 70€ with night tariff (00: 00-05: 00).
- By intercity bus (KTEL): The buses of KTEL Attikis also connect the airport with the port of Lavrio. The bus route to Lavrio is indirect via Markopoulo. The buses usually depart every 1 hour and the ticket cost is approximately 4 to 5€. The total duration of the journey is about 1 hour.
Tip: If you want to skip the lines, Ferryhopper in collaboration with Welcome Pickups offers a transfer service to and from the port of Lavrio. Book your transfer to/from Lavrio on our page in advance and travel safely and comfortably in Athens.
Parking at the port of Lavrio
You are not allowed to park your vehicle inside the port of Lavrio. There is, however, private parking near the departure terminals. Prices start from 6-7 € per day, while some parking spaces offer the possibility of parking in a sheltered area. If you are looking for free parking you might want to try in the town of Lavrio. Just make sure that you check the street signs before you park.
A colorful fishing boat at the port of Lavrio
Useful info and travel tips for the port of Lavrio
Lavrio is a small coastal town in southeast Athens with a long history, dating from the Neolithic period. In modern times Lavrio has been an important industrial center due to the well-known mines located in the area.
The port is located right next to the town of Lavrio so within walking distance you can find cafeterias, restaurants, banks, kiosks, and shops. The bus terminal of KTEL Attikis is also located at the center of the town, about 20 minutes walk from the port piers.
Important numbers for the port of Lavrio
- Lavrio Port Authority: +30 2292320400-401
- Lavrio port offices:+30 2292022779
- Lavrio Medical Center:+30 2292320300
- Lavrio Citizen Services:+30 2292024839
- KTEL Attikis (Athens terminal): +30 2108808082, +30 2108808081
- KTEL Attikis (Lavrio Terminal): +30 2299040738
- Lavrio taxi service:+30 2292025871
Beaches in Lavrio
Near the port of Lavrio, there are numerous beautiful beaches, where you can spend some time before or after your trip.
Our favorite beaches south of Lavrio are:
- Port of Pasha (Poseidonia)
- Cape Sounio beach
The best beaches north of Lavrio are:
- Limanakia Daskaliou
Sightseeing in Lavrio
If you have time, it is worth taking a walk in the town of Lavrio to admire the monuments, historical sites as well as buildings of neoclassical architecture.
Our top recommendations for sightseeing around Lavrio are:
- The grove of Kyprianos or “Palm Forest”
- The “French loading ladder at the east of the port
- The ruins of the old port warehouses
- The Technological Cultural Park of Lavrio
- The Mineralogical Museum of Lavrion
- The temple of Poseidon in Sounio
- The archaeological site of Thoriko
The impressive temple of Poseidon in Sounio, 10km south of the port of Lavrio
Where to book ferry tickets online from Lavrio
On Ferryhopper you can book ferry tickets from Lavrio online at no extra cost. Compare all the available ferry routes from the port of Lavrio, companies, schedules and ferry ticket prices, and book your trip in the easiest way.
View all trips from and to Lavrio
View all ferries departing from or arriving at Lavrio in the following week.