Leipsoi is a small beautiful island in the southeastern Aegean Sea. The Greek island is famous for its relaxing atmosphere and its magical beaches, making it an ideal destination for laid-back holidays. On this Ferryhopper page, you can find all the information you need about ferry routes to the island of goddess Calypso, discover the best beaches and hiking trails on the island and book cheap ferry tickets in just 4 clicks!
Dreamy beach with turquoise waters in Leipsoi
Vacation in Leipsoi
The island of Leipsoi, where mythical goddess Calypso lived, was known as Ogygia in Ancient Greek mythology. It is located north of Leros and south of Samos and it promises dreamy vacation. The locals are welcoming and the island radiates peace and quiet. In Leipsoi, you can find azure waters, quaint alleys and delicious food. It is a hidden gem of the Aegean Sea that will charm you with its enchanting smells, warm sun and smiling locals!
How to get to Leipsoi
You can get to Leipsoi by ferry from the port of Piraeus in Athens throughout the year. Ferry routes are usually more frequent during the summer months and it takes around 8.5 hours to reach Leipsoi from Athens. Find more details on how to get by ferry to Leipsoi below.
What to do in Leipsoi
During your stay in Leipsoi, you can enjoy unforgettable moments by the sea. There are pebble and sandy beaches, where travelers relax and swim away from crowds. Moreover, there are waterfront tavernes, where you can try delicious local dishes and have fun with your close ones. If you prefer cultural sightseeing, you can discover archaeological sites, walk through ancient ruins and visit the Ecclesiastical-Folklore Museum. For those of you who are after open-air adventures, Leipsoi is a great destination to go hiking and island-hopping to small islets and neighboring islands.
Beaches in Leipsoi
Beaches in Leipsoi are magical and have crystal-clear waters. Most of them have shallow waters, but not much natural shade or umbrellas. So, make sure you come prepared!
Here are the best sandy beaches in Leipsoi:
- Katsadia: it is a popular wind-protected beach with turquoise waters, a small taverna and tall trees that offer shade.
- Kampos: this is a beautiful beach with many tamarisk trees and crystal-clear waters.
- Tourkomnima: this is a small secluded cove with a few trees and perfect waters.
- Platis Gialos: Platis Gialos is one of the most popular beaches in Leipsoi. It is wind-protected and it has turquoise waters, tamarisk trees and a taverna.
- Lientou: this is a popular beach with clear aquamarine waters in Leipsoi. There are tamarisk trees for shade.
Find the best pebble beaches in Leipsoi below:
- Hohlakoura: this is a dreamy beach with turquoise waters and white pebbles. There’s no natural shade.
- Xirokampos: it’s a quiet beach with crystal-clear waters. There’s no shade, so make sure you bring hats and an umbrella.
- Papantria: this beautiful cove has heavenly waters and an amazing view to the islet of Lyra.
- Monodendri: the beach is located in an awe-inspiring landscape. It has turquoise waters, white pebbles and a single tree sitting on an imposing rock. Access to the beach is tricky, but the tranquil ambiance is worth it.
Sunny day at the beach of Katsadia
Activities and sightseeing in Leipsoi
Despite its small size, the island of Leipsoi boasts several cultural and historical attractions that are telling of its rich past. If you wish to take a break from the beach, the island offers interesting activities as well. Have a look at Ferryhopper’s suggestions below:
- Visit the island’s villages: in Leipsoi there are only few cars and most of the action takes place in the capital and the port area. Although permanent residents only stay in these two areas, there are more truly beautiful villages worth visiting during the summer. We suggest seeing Kouselio, Katsadia and Platis Gialos.
- Wander around Chora: the picturesque Chora of Leipsoi is perfect for wandering, as well as staying during your vacation. The traditional blue and white houses are built amphitheatrically along the natural bay and will surely charm you.
- Visit the Ecclesiastical-Folklore Museum in Chora: the exhibits take you on a trip through the island’s amazing history!
- Attend a local festival: the island is home to many festivals and celebrations, where you can make memories to last a lifetime. Ferryhopper suggests attending the Wine Festival, a magical celebration full of music, dance and delicious wines!
- Visit the archaeological site of Kastro: you can see the ruins of an ancient settlement just a few minutes from the main town.
- Go island-hopping: hop on a small boat at the port of Leipsoi to explore the neighboring islands and islets. Get ready for unique landscapes and untouched beaches!
- Explore the island through hiking trails: you can discover charming creeks, blooming meadows and small cedar forests. As you conquer the island’s hills passing by sea daffodils, olive trees, vineyards and fig trees, you’ll notice the air is permeated by the smell of oregano and thyme.
Tip: if you go on a hiking adventure, always carry sunscreen, plenty of water and a hat, as natural shade is limited and the sun can get really hot.
Evening walk at the port of Leipsoi
Nightlife in Leipsoi
Leipsoi is an easy-going destination, perfect for romantic evenings and casual fun. You can dine at family-friendly tavernes, drink Greek wine with friends at local restaurants and walk around Chora under the clear night sky. Moreover, there are some small lounge café-bars in Chora and the port area. For a more upbeat night out, we recommend that you visit Dilaila at the beach of Katsadia, an all-day bar-restaurant that serves food during the day and plays smooth reggae tunes at night.
Food in Leipsoi
The cuisine of Leipsoi is one of the most authentic in the Aegean Sea. You can try delicious local dishes and mouthwatering desserts. Locals use fresh ingredients and organic produce in all recipes. Ferryhopper suggests that you head to one of the waterfront tavernes and enjoy local dishes with a glass of ouzo!
Here are some of the local delicacies of Leipsoi:
- rice-stuffed calamari
- fresh fish and seafood
- pitaroudia: vegetable or legume fritters
- favokeftedes: fava patties
- xerotigano: deep-fried dough with honey, cinnamon and walnuts
- ouzo: anise-flavored alcoholic drink
Tip: If you’re after traditional dishes with seafood, fish and meat, as well as fresh salads, we recommend eating at Giannis or Nikos and Loulis. If you’re in the mood for fine dining, Pefko serves elegant dishes and luscious wines inspired by the Italian cuisine. If you’re looking for a rich breakfast with fresh fruit, creamy Greek yoghurt, juicy omelettes and delicious desserts, you can visit the colorful Café du Moulin.
Villages in Leipsoi
There are several villages on the island, but the heart of the action is Chora and the port. All island locals live in this area, while the rest of the villages only come to life during the summer months. During your stay in Leipsoi, we recommend that you explore the small villages and remote locations of the island to experience the local lifestyle, swim in secluded beaches and get in touch with nature.
Here are some of the most notable areas in Leipsoi:
- Port (Limani)
- Platis Gialos
Also, don’t leave the island without taking a boat trip to the nearby islets:
Beautiful house of traditional architecture in Leipsoi
Useful information for Leipsoi
There are plenty of visitor amenities in Chora such as shops, bars, restaurants, cafés and vacation rentals. You can also find a medical center, a pharmacy, a gas station, a supermarket, grocery stores and an Alpha Bank ATM machine. There’s also a car rental shop close to the port.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Leipsoi
Here are some useful contacts for your trip to Leipsoi:
- Municipality of Leipsoi: +302247041333
- Pharmacy: +3022470 28981
- Leipsoi Medical Center: +3022470 41204 / +30697819141
- Leipsoi Port Authority: +302247041133
- Leipsoi Police Station: +302247041222
Transportation in Leipsoi
Getting around Leipsoi is quite easy, as Chora and the port are small and have everything you need during your holidays. If you want to explore more beautiful sights and visit remote beaches, hiking trails, viewing points and ancient sites, you can drive your car or motorcycle. There is a car rental at the port, but you can also bring your own car from Piraeus. During the summer, there is a bus service from Chora to the major beaches on the island. Bus routes and schedules often change, so make sure you ask about the bus service at one of the tavernes and local shops.
Ports in Leipsoi
The port of Leipsoi is on the southwestern coast of the island. The port is close to the center of Chora, offering easy access to hotels, as well as restaurants, bakeries and shops. There’s also a gas station and a car rental shop in the port area.
Island hopping from Leipsoi
Leipsoi is a great starting point for island hopping in the Aegean Sea, as there are frequent ferry routes from Leipsoi to more islands of the Dodecanese, as well as the North Aegean Sea.
You can travel directly by ferry from Leipsoi to the following islands:
Too many island-hopping routes to choose from? No worries! On Ferryhopper’s Map of ferries, you can easily plan your island-hopping itinerary, compare ferry schedules and book ferry tickets online!
Colorful fishing boat at the port of Leipsoi
Leipsoi ferry: schedules and tickets
There are regular ferry crossings from Piraeus to Leipsoi. The route is serviced year-round and there are at least 2-3 weekly sailings during the summer. It takes 8.5 hours on average to travel from the port of Piraeus to Leipsoi. Ferries to Leipsoi have car decks, so that you bring your car or motorcycle on board and they normally depart at noon.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Leipsoi
You can find all ferry schedules and book cheap ferry tickets to Leipsoi online on Ferryhopper. Check available routes and compare prices from all ferry companies through our fare search engine. Find the best experiences in Leipsoi and book your tickets with no extra fees.
Leipsoi ferry timetable
View the complete ferry schedule from and to Leipsoi for the upcoming week. Find up-to-date trip information, including departure and arrival dates and times, ferry operators and ticket prices.