Samos is a beautiful island of the East Aegean, next to Ikaria and the Turkish coastline. It is an island with a long history, green landscapes, crystal clear waters and great food. Island hopping is easy from Samos since it is connected with many neighboring Greek islands and Turkish settlements. Ferryhopper provides you with all the necessary information about Samos and its ferry connections, to plan your ideal holidays.
How do I get to Samos?
Samos has three ports, that are connected with mainland Greece and many islands of the East Aegean, the Cyclades and the Dodecanese.
Which are the port of Samos?
The ports of Samos are Vathi, Karlovasi and Pythagoreion.
- Port of Vathi: Vathi is the capital of Samos, located on the northeastern side of the island. The port of Vathi serves ferry connections to the port of Piraeus, Mykonos and Syros, as well as to the islands of the Dodecanese like Patmos or Rhodes. From Vathi, you can also take a ferry to Kusadasi in Turkey and the trip lasts only 1 hr 30 min.
- Port of Karlovasi: Karlovasi is the second largest town in Samos and it is located in the northwest of the island. The port of Karlovasi serves ferry routes to the port of Piraeus, to other islands of the North Aegean like Ikaria, Fournoi, Chios or Lesvos, as well as to the Cyclades (Mykonos, Syros). There are times when the same ferry passes from both the northern ports of Samos. For example from Piraeus to Karlovasi and then to Vathi and vice versa.
- Port of Pythagoreion: Located in the southeast of Samos, the town and port of Pythagoreion is the main ferry departure point to the Dodecanese. During the summer months, you can get a ferry from Pythagorion to Leros, Kos, Kalymnos, Symi or Rhodes.
Ferry from mainland Greece to Samos
You can travel directly to Samos from the port of Piraeus or indirectly from Rafina, with Mykonos as an intermediate stop.
Piraeus - Samos: There are many daily ferry routes from the port of Piraeus to Samos. The duration of the ferry ride ranges from 7 hr 30 min to 14 hrs.
Rafina - Samos: You can get to Samos from Rafina via the island of Mykonos. Ferries from Mykonos to Samos are regular during the winter and frequent during the summer and the ferry trip lasts 7 hr 30 min at minimum.
Often, the ferry trip to Samos is overnight so we recommend that you book a bed cabin for a more comfortable journey.
On Ferryhopper you can search for all the ferry routes and itineraries to Samos, find all the available ferry ticket types and book the best and cheapest option for your holidays!
Island hopping from Samos
If you want to spice up your summer holidays in Samos or just change the scenery for a few days, you can get a ferry to nearby islands of the East Aegean like Ikaria, Fournoi, Chios and Lesvos or travel to the center of the Cyclades and the islands of Mykonos or Syros. From the port of Pythagoreion, you can also get ferries to the Dodecanese such as Patmos, Leros, Kos, Kalymnos or Rhodes.
Check the Ferryhopper map of ferries to find all the available connections of Samos and plan an island hopping in just 4 clicks!
What to do in Samos?
Samos is a peaceful island of great beauty that offers a variety of activities to travelers of all ages and tastes. In Samos, you can find many archaeological sites, beautiful beaches with cool clear waters and traditional settlements.
Beaches in Samos
There are many great beaches in Samos that will fully satisfy you. Some of them are sandy, others have pebbles, but all of them have sparkling blue waters. Ferryhopper recommends that you visit:
- Psili Ammos
Sightseeing and Activities in Samos
Samos is an island with a rich history and it is well known for people originated from there such as Pythagoras and Epicurus. The scenery compliments the island’s rare natural beauty. You should consider visiting:
- Alyki Habitat
- The temple of Hera
- The Euphaleneus Cavity
- The Polykrateia Walls
- Archaeological Site of Therma
- Archaeological Site of Castle in Pythagorion
- Archaeological Site of Castle in Karlovassi
- Archaeological Museum of Samos
- Archaeological Museum of Pythagorion
- Folklore Museum of Samos
- Byzantine Museum of Samos
Settlements of Samos
Samos has over 30000 inhabitants. The capital of the island is Vathi and along with Karlovasi and Pythagorion, they have all the necessary services for the travelers. Apart from the main settlements, you should visit other beautiful mountain villages of Samos such as:
Useful information about Samos
Samos is a popular modern destination of the Aegean with facilities like ATMs, Supermarkets and a hospital, with also good drive and bus networks. Some useful telephone numbers for Samos are:
- Port Authority of Vathis: 22730 27318
- Port Authority of Karlovasi: 22730 30888
- Port Authority of Pythagorion: 22730 61225
- Hospital of Vathi: 22730 94207
- First Aid: 22730 22222
- Police Department of Vathi: 22730 22333
Where to book ferry tickets to Samos?
Book ferry tickets online through our platform in just 4 clicks! Find all available ferry routes to Samos and its ferry connections, compare ferry ticket prices and itineraries and organize great summer vacations!