Leros is a green island in the Dodecanese and an ideal destination for relaxing holidays. The island is widely known for its beauty, its beaches and impressive landscapes. On Ferryhopper you will find information about holidays in Leros, its beaches, attractions, villages and ferry services. Book the cheapest ferry tickets and set sail to the beautiful island of Artemis!
Vacation in Leros
Leros is a cosmopolitan destination of the Dodecanese, known for its natural beauties. It is an ideal destination for holidays as it combines stunning landscapes, relaxing moments and good food. On the island, you will find wonderful beaches, traditional villages and historical monuments that highlight its culture. The impressive Leros is waiting for you to enchant you!
Impressive, crystal-clear waters at the port of Lakki, Leros
How to get to Leros
Leros is well connected to mainland Greece via the port of Piraeus, all year long. However, you can find frequent ferry itineraries from other islands of the Dodecanese to Leros, such as Kos Patmos. Further details on how to get to Leros can be found in the section below.
What to do in Leros
Recently, Leros has become a popular destination for families, groups and couples. The so-called island of Artemis is full of enchanting beaches, picturesque settlements with beautiful architecture and sights of historical and cultural interest. Leros also offers many options for activities and fun!
Beaches in Leros
The beaches of Leros are exactly as you imagine the beaches of the Aegean: clear blue waters, golden sandy beaches and a relaxed atmosphere! Many of them have amenities like umbrellas, sunbeds, canteens. However, there are others that are ideal for calmer moments and tranquility by the sea.
Ferryhopper recommends you dive into:
- Vromolithos: This is a popular beach of Leros next to the village of the same name. It is large, sandy, with facilities for guests, tavernas and a beach bar.
- Agia Marina: It is one of the most famous beaches of the island. It is preferred mainly by families as its shallow, clear waters are ideal for children!
- Penteli: This famous, large beach of Leros is located next to the Penteli, next to Vromolithos. Here you will find one of the largest beach bars on the island, while nearby there are other stores, tavernas and mini markets.
- Alinda: One of the largest beaches of Leros. It has blue waters, sand and pebbles and has amenities like umbrellas. Nearby you will find stores and tavernas.
- Dio Liskaria: It is a beautiful, windless cove with deep blue waters. The beach has umbrellas and sunbeds, while nearby you will find places for coffee and food.
- Xirokampos: This large, sandy beach with deep waters is suitable for diving and snorkeling! Near Xirokampos, there is a small rocky beach, Panagia Kavouradaina, for those seeking isolation and tranquility.
- Agios Spyridonas: An idyllic small beach that has sand and pebbles. It stands out for the clear blue waters and the shipwrecked boat on the shore.
- Krithoni: It is one of the best-known organized beaches of Leros with clear waters, fine pebbles and umbrellas. If you prefer natural shade, you can relax under the tall trees nearby.
- Koulouki: Actually, these are 3 consecutive coves. They have fine, light sand, cool waters and are surrounded by imposing pines and lush vegetation. On the middle beach, there is a snack bar with snacks and drinks.
- Merikia: This cute, quiet beach is located near Koulouki. It has crystal-clear waters and large tamarisk trees that offer their shade.
- Agia Kiura: If you are looking for peaceful moments and cool, mirror-like waters, this beach is a must for you. Make sure you have necessary supplies with you, as it doesn’t have amenities.
- Gourna: Known for its dark sand and clear, shallow waters. It has umbrellas, but also trees that offer shade. Behind the beach, there are tavernas and cafes for visitors.
A traditional windmill on a rocky beach of Leros
Sights and activities in Leros
Leros is an ideal destination to spend some quality time and relax. However, travelers who love exploration can enrich their holiday experience as the island is full of natural beauties, cultural and historical sights.
Some attractions and activities in Leros are:
- Temple of Artemis in Partheni
- Bellenis Tower and Museum of Folklore and History
- Bourtzi Fortress in Agia Marina
- Castle of Panagia or Castle of Pantelio
- "Merikias Tunnel" War Museum
- Hiking on the paths of the island
- Diving and snorkeling
Nightlife in Leros
Leros has a very interesting character to show to travelers looking for vibrant nightlife. On the island, there are many bars and clubs with music that are ideal for drinks and dancing. At the same time, there are tavernas with Greek traditional music that keep you entertained until the morning. Most nightlife options are in Agia Marina, but you can also find places to have fun in the other settlements of the island. Don’t forget that through the summers, many festivals aka panigiria take place in Leros like “the feast of Alonaris” in July and “the wine festival” in August.
Food in Leros
Whether it is the small tavernas located on almost every beach on the island or luxury restaurants, one thing is for sure that in Leros you will enjoy tasty Greek food and local delicacies. Most recipes include fresh seafood that is perfectly complemented by a glass of ouzo!
Don’t miss out to try:
- grilled or stewed octopus
- fresh urchins and shellfish
- fresh fish (synagrida -dentex- or lithrini -pandora-)
- traditional sweet cheese pies
- pougkakia (dough nests with almond)
- amygdalota (marzipan sweets)
- gavafes (local fruit)
Villages in Leros
The capital of Leros is Agia Marina, while Lakki (aka Porto Lago) is the main port of the island. The settlement was built entirely by the Italians in the early '30s and stands out for its wonderful architecture and art deco elements. Leros, however, also has beautiful smaller villages that are worth discovering.
We suggest you visit:
- Agia Marina
A picturesque monastery in Leros
Useful information for Leros
Leros is a fairly developed island with many facilities and comforts for the visitors. In the 3 large settlements, Agia Marina, Platanos and Lakki, you will find everything you need for your vacation: banks, ATMs, pharmacies, supermarkets and gas stations. The health center of Leros is also located in Lakki, very close to the port. In terms of accommodation, there are numerous options for all budgets: from luxury suites to more affordable rooms and studios. Near Xirokampos, there is also an organized campsite.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Leros
Some useful contacts for Leros are:
- Leros Health Center: +302247023251
- Leros Port Authority: +302247022224
- Leros Police: +302247022222
- Leros citizen service center (KEP):+30 2247023400
- Leros intercity buses (KTEL): +306970310804
Transportation in Leros
The island has a good road network that allows you to easily get it around by car or motorbike. Keep in mind that you can bring your vehicle or rent one there. At the same time, in Leros, there are taxi services and intercity buses (KTEL) that connect most of the settlements and the beaches.
Ports in Leros
The main port of Leros is located in Lakki, one of the biggest settlements on the island. Near the port, you can find stores, cafes and pharmacies, as well as the island’s hospital. There are also some ferry companies operating at the port of Agia Marina, 4km from Lakki.
Island hopping from Leros
The geographical location of Leros is perfect to organize island hopping around the Dodecanese and the islands of North Aegean. Specifically, you can travel by ferry directly to:
Are you looking forward to your summer vacation in Leros, the "divine" island of the Dodecanese? On the Ferryhopper Map of Ferries, you will find all connections of Leros to plan your next journey!
Sea view of Lakki in Leros
Leros ferry: schedules and tickets
Athens is connected to Leros with frequent ferry crossings from the port of Piraeus. The journey from Piraeus to Leros takes from 9 to 10 hours. For this reason, we suggest you book a cabin to enjoy a more comfortable trip. More information about the ferry route Piraeus - Leros can be found on the respective Ferryhopper page.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Leros
Check Ferryhopper’s search engine and find all ferry routes from and to Leros. On our website, you can compare prices, schedules and companies, to book ferry tickets easily, at no extra cost! For any further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact our customer support team.