Tilos is a small island in the Dodecanese with wild natural beauty that is best suited for quiet vacations. Tilos is Greece's first official “green island”, as it is completely self-sufficient in energy and stands out for its pristine landscape.
Here you will find useful holiday information about its beaches, settlements, activities, food and ferry routes. Book ferry tickets to Tilos on Ferryhopper and discover the unique charm of the Dodecanese!
Vacation in Tilos
Tilos is located south of Nisyros, north of Chalki and west of Symi. It is an island that will enchant you with its beauty, atmosphere and impressive landscapes. The calm rhythms of Tilos and the simplicity that characterizes the daily life on the island, make it an ideal destination for relaxing summer holidays.
Telos, despite its small size, is forward-thinking and is known as Greece's eco-friendly island. Thanks to an EU initiative, Tilos now generates its own electricity in an environmentally friendly and sustainable manner. By installing a large bank of solar panels and a wind turbine, this tiny island in the Dodecanese has become the prototype in the clean energy transition, and the island now covers nearly 100% of its energy needs.
If you are an eco-traveler looking to travel without giving up sustainability, Tilos should be on your bucket list.
Impressive sunset at Agios Antonios in northern Tilos
How to get to Tilos
You can catch a ferry from the port of Piraeus in Athens to Tilos. This ferry route operates all year long with 2-3 departures in the week. Check additional details for this crossing in the section below.
What to do in Tilos
Tilos is full of traditional settlements, sights and archeological monuments, beautiful beaches and hiking paths worth discovering. Tilos is also close to other islands and is great to easily plan day trips or island hopping in the Dodecanese.
Beaches in Tilos
Tilos has several beaches with crystal clear waters and stunning landscapes. Every beach on the island is ideal for tranquility and relaxation by the sea. Our favorite beaches of Tilos are:
- Livadia: It is located next to the port and is one of the largest on the island. It has pebbles, crystal clear waters, amenities and is suitable for families. The tamarisk trees near the shore offer their shade to the visitors. You can also find mini-markets, cafes, tavernas and shops nearby.
- Eristos: The most popular beach of Tilos is located on the west coast of the island and has a long, golden beach, several tamarisk trees and an impressive seabed. Τhere are amenities on the right side of the beach, while the other one is more isolated and nude-friendly. Following the small path on the left you will find 2 small coves with red sand and impressive rocks.
- Agios Antonios: Small beach next to the settlement of the same name in the north of the island. It has pebbles, tamarisks, palm trees and crystal clear waters. You can combine swimming with coffee and food in the seaside tavernas of the settlement.
- Plaka: Small beach with fine pebbles, crystal clear waters and a few tamarisk trees for shade. Just behind the shore, there are tall eucalyptus trees, where you can encounter peacocks. The beach is located 4 km west of the settlement of Agios Antonis and is accessible either by car or on foot, as public transport does not reach there.
- Lethra: A beautiful beach on the east coast of the island, ideal for quiet swimming, as it is accessible only on foot or by boat. The path starts from the settlement in Livadia and the journey is about 40 minutes.
- Vlychada: Small, beautiful beach with impressive waters near Livadia. You can reach it on foot by a moderately difficult path (not suitable if you are afraid of heights) or by boat.
- Tholo, Skafi and Agios Stefanos: Three enchanting beaches of Tilos that are accessible only by boat from Livadia. They have pebbles or sand and a little shade, so make sure you have a beach umbrella with you.
Relaxing on the beautiful beach of Eristos, on the west coast of Tilos.
Sightseeing and activities in Tilos
Tilos is a small island with a rich history, unique natural wealth and many beauties to explore during your stay there.
The whole island is part of the Natura 2000 network, due to its wide variety of plants, flowers, herbs and many rare bird species.. We suggest you follow the trails of the island to enjoy its special natural landscape. In addition, the seabed of Tilos is great for swimming with a mask, snorkeling and diving.
Tilos has been inhabited since the Neolithic era. Several archeological finds have been found on the island, with the most famous and impressive being the bones of prehistoric dwarf elephants, deer, turtles and micro-mammals. The findings are in the museum of Tilos in Megalo Chorio. Some well-known attractions that are worth visiting during your vacation in Tilos are:
- The cave of Harkadio
- Mikro Chorio
- The Castle of the Knights on the acropolis in Megalo Chorio
- The church of Taxiarchis
- The Monastery of Agios Panteleimon
- The small church of Panagia Politissa
Tip: Mikro Chorio is a settlement of Tilos that flourished in the Middle Ages, but has been abandoned since 1940. The village is a unique spectacle, as the houses, the churches, the frescoes and the remains of a small medieval castle are still there. A visit to Mikro Chorio is a must, either during the day to admire the buildings and take a walk in the old alleys, or in the evening for a drink, as there is a bar in summer in the empty village.
Nightlife in Tilos
Nightlife in Tilos mainly involves going out to tavernas and kafeneia. There you can eat, drink, listen to traditional Greek music and have fun until early in the morning!
Some of the best festivals (aka panigiria) of the Dodecanese take place in Tilos during the summer. The biggest one takes place on July 26-27 near the beautiful monastery of Agios Panteleimon. Another big celebration is on August 23, with a festival in Megalo Chorio and Livadia.
Food in Tilos
The food in Tilos is delicious and is based on either the fresh seafood, which is abundant in the area, or the goat. Be sure to try fried shrimps in batter, octopus and cuttlefish stew and salads with local vegetables, greens, herbs and spices. For meals in Tilos we recommend the tavern "Michalis" and "Naftilos" in Livadia, "Kastro" in Megalo Chorio and "Delfini" in Agios Antonios.
Hikers enjoy the magnificent sea view in Tilos
Villages in Tilos
Tilos has 3 main settlements that charm you with their traditional architecture and their beautiful, picturesque alleys. More specifically:
- The capital of Tilos is Megalo Chorio, located in the north of the island. Take a walk in the narrow streets, admire the stone houses and do not forget to visit the Castle of the Knights with the amazing view.
- The settlement of Livadia is the port of the island and one of the most touristic places of Tilos. It is located on the east coast, 7 km from the capital and has the most rooms for rent on the island. It is worth taking an afternoon walk and reaching the church of Agios Ioannis.
- The smallest settlement of Tilos is Agios Antonios on the north coast of the island. The beautiful fishing village has the most impressive sunset in Tilos, as well as tavernas with delicious snacks.
Useful information for Tilos
Even though Tilos is a small island, it has several facilities for visitors. There are mini-markets, supermarkets and regional clinics in the port and in Megalo Chorio. In the port, you will also find Alpha Bank ATMs and a pharmacy, while on the road that connects the port with Megalo Chorio there is a self-service gas station. In terms of accommodation, Tilos has many rooms for rent in the port and a few ones in Eristo and Megalo Chorio. There are also camping spots and the municipality has built showers and fountains for the campers.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Tilos
Some useful phones for holidays in Tilos:
- Tilos Port Authority: +302246044350
- Multipurpose Regional Clinic of Megalo Chorio: +302246044210
- Multipurpose Regional Clinic of Livadia: +302246044219
- Ambulance: +302246044210/44219
- KEP Tilos: +302246360620/70893
- Tilos Police: +302246044222
- Pharmacy (Livadia): +3022246044300
- Car and motorcycle rentals (Livadia): +302246044173
Transportation in Tilos
Tilos has a main road that crosses the whole island, from the port in Livadia to Agios Antonios. So it's very easy to get around, especially if you have your own vehicle. Alternatively, you can rent a motorbike or car from the port of Tilos. But be sure to book in advance, as availability is limited. The island also has a public bus and, of course, you can also travel on foot. The bus runs the route Livadia - Megalo Chorio - Eristos - Agios Antonios several times a day and the ticket costs around 2€.
Ports in Tilos
The main port of Tilos is located in Livadia on the east coast of the island. Near the port you can find many accommodation options, cafes and other stores.
Island hopping from Tilos
Due to the geographical location of Tilos, it is easy to "hop" to other islands of the Dodecanese or the Northeast Aegean. Tilos is connected by ferry to all neighboring large islands like Rhodes, Kalymnos and Kos. The ferry route from Tilos to Rhodes is very popular and runs at least 5 times a week during the summer. The duration of trips is around 2-2.5 hours.
The ports where you can travel directly from Tilos are the following:
On our Map of ferries, you will find all connections between Tilos and the rest of the Dodecanese, to organize your island hopping experience in the Aegean easily and quickly!
Note: Check our relevant article with some extra suggestions on quiet Greek destinations!
The typical pebble floor of the Dodecanese in the churchyard in Megalo Chorio
Tilos ferry: schedules and tickets
Tilos is connected to Athens via the port of Piraeus with many sailings. The ferry route is serviced at least 2-3 times a week throughout the year. The crossing Piraeus - Tilos lasts about 14 hours depending on the stops of the route. For a more comfortable and relaxing trip, we suggest booking a bed cabin or numbered seat.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Tilos
If you dream of peace and quiet with beautiful landscapes in the background, then Tilos is your destination for this summer! Book ferry tickets to Tilos online on Ferryhopper! Check all the available itineraries to compare departure times, prices, ticket types and travel time and to organize your next summer vacations in the Dodecanese!