Ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
Yes, there is a ferry connection between Athens (Piraeus) and Syros all year round. There is normally at least 1 daily ferry crossing from the port of Piraeus to Syros.
The 4 ferry companies that usually operate on this route are Blue Star Ferries, Fast Ferries, Minoan Lines, and Seajets. Blue Star Ferries is the only company operating on the route thoughout the year (winter months included). The other 3 companies serve crossings to Syros only in spring and summer.
What's the ferry schedule from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
There are up to 5 daily ferry connections from Piraeus to Syros in the summer months. In winter, you can normally find 1-3 daily crossings.
The first ferry usually departs at 07:00, arriving in Syros around 09:05. The last ferry departure is usually scheduled at 18:00 and reaches Syros just before 21:45.
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
Ferry tickets for the route Piraeus - Syros start at €36.50 for conventional ferries, and at around €58 for high-speed ferries.
Apart from the type of vessel, the final ticket price also depends on discounts, offers, seat type, and vehicle selection.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Syros from the port of Piraeus in Athens. Take a look at our ferry routes, find the lowest prices and book your ferry tickets on Ferryhopper easily and quickly.
Current offers will be automatically applied when booking your ferry tickets.
Take advantage of the available discounts and travel from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros by ferry with lower-cost ferry tickets. The ferry companies offer discounts of up to 50% for certain passenger categories, such as:
- Children from 5 to 10 years old
- Permanent island residents (holders of Unique Islander Number)
- Students (Greek public universities or ISIC card holders)
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
Note: infants and toddlers up to 4-5 years travel for free. However, keep in mind that available discounts may vary from one ferry company to another.
Ferry Route Info
How long is the ferry ride from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
The journey from Piraeus to Syros takes from 2 hr to 3 hr 45 min, depending on the company, the type of vessel and the weather conditions.
Τip: worried that weather conditions might affect your time of departure? You can see any changes and track your ferry in real time on the Ferryhopper App.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
Yes, there are ferry companies serving the Piraeus - Syros route with fast ferries during spring and summer. The fastest ferry takes around 2 hr to reach the island.
What's the distance between Athens (Piraeus) and Syros?
Syros, the capital of the Cyclades, is located about 70 nautical miles (130 km) east of Piraeus.
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros
Here are some useful tips for your ferry trip to Syros from Piraeus:
- The port of Piraeus is the most popular in Greece and serves routes to the majority of the islands in the Aegean. For this reason, we recommend arriving at the port at least 1 hr before departure, especially if you travel with your vehicle.
- Syros is the capital of the Cyclades and a perfect starting point for island hopping, as it is connected by ferry to many popular destinations, such as Tinos, Andros and Mykonos. Discover all available island-hopping opportunities in the Cyclades on our Map of ferries.
- Check out our dedicated travel guide for useful information about holidays in Syros.
- For the latest information on Covid-19 and ferry travel in Greece, you can check our relevant post. Note that, for the time being, all restrictions have been lifted.
Where to take the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros?
You can take the ferry to Syros from the port of Piraeus in Athens. The port of Piraeus is located approximately 15 km south of the city center of Athens and 45 km from Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos. You can get to Piraeus by car, taxi as well as public transport (bus, metro and suburban railway).
Ferries from Piraeus to Syros normally depart from Gates E6 and E7. Departure gates may change, so we recommend checking your ticket and the electronic display boards at the port for more information.
Can I travel on the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros with a car?
Yes, you can normally bring your car on both conventional and high-speed ferries traveling to Syros.
Each company operating on the Piraeus - Syros ferry route has its own baggage allowance policy. More specifically:
- On Seajets ferries, passengers can bring single luggage weighing up to 50 kg.
- On Blue Star Ferries, each passenger is entitled to 1 piece of luggage with a maximum weight of 50 kg at no extra cost.
- On Fast Ferries vessels, there is no specific weight limit for luggage. Luggage should be placed on special locations of the ferry.
- Minoan Lines allows each passenger to carry up to 2 pieces of luggage and 1 hand luggage.
Tip: normally Greek ferry companies are quite flexible regarding luggage size and weight. Also note that there is no check-in procedure for luggage items.
High-speed ferries to Syros normally don't have cabins, but they have numbered airplane-type seats. There are cabins available on standard vessels of Blue Star Ferries, as well as numbered seats.
On Piraeus - Syros ferries, you can travel with your pet free of charge. Bear in mind that each ferry company has its own pet policy.
Make sure to carry along all necessary pet health certificates, tickets and any supplies you may need for your trip
Book cheap ferry tickets from Athens (Piraeus) to Syros
On Ferryhopper, you can book ferry tickets from Athens to Syros at the best prices. Check all available ferry connections, compare companies and fares, and plan your trip in the Cyclades from the port of Piraeus in no time!