Traveling from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Heraklion (Crete) by ferry
There are at least 2 ferry crossings per day from Piraeus to Heraklion with tickets cost starting from 30€. Read our ferry guide with the latest information for this route.
Ferry schedules from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Heraklion (Crete)*
Is there a ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
Usually, there are 2 direct ferries by 2 ferry companies departing daily from Piraeus to Heraklion all year round. The ferry companies that normally operate on this route are Minoan Lines, Anek Lines, and Aegeon Pelagos. This can change depending on the season and the weather, but you can compare information and check real-time data on our fare search engine.
How long is the ferry ride from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
The ferry trip lasts approximately 8,5 hours to 10 hours depending on the vessel and ferry company.
How much is the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
The cost for a single ferry ticket starts from around 30€. The final price depends on reductions, offers, seat type, vehicle or cabin selection, and ferry company.
What’s the ferry schedule from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
During the summer months, there are up to 4 ferry crossings per day, while in the winter there are at least 2 sailings per day. The earliest ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion departs at around 08.00 and the latest around 21.00 - 22.00. The majority of the ferries that travel from Athens to Crete are overnight.
What is the distance between Athens (Piraeus) and Heraklion?
The distance between the port of Piraeus and the port of Heraklion is 173 nautical miles (around 320 km).
Am I allowed to travel from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
Yes, at the moment all ferry travel within Greece is allowed. To check the latest information on COVID-19 and ferry traveling in Greece, you can visit our relevant FAQ pages.
Where can I book ferry tickets from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion?
On Ferryhopper you can compare all ferry schedules and ferry companies from Piraeus to Heraklion and book ferry tickets online, at the best prices!
The Venetian fortress and promenade of the coastal city of Heraklion.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion
- We recommend that you arrive at the port of Piraeus at least 1 hour in advance of your trip, especially if you are traveling with your vehicle.
- The ferries to Crete usually depart from gates E2 and E3 in Piraeus port. If you are unsure of where your gate you can ask the port authority personnel.
- Due to the long duration of the trip, we recommend that you book a bed cabin. Prices for bed cabins range from 40€ to 85€, depending on the cabin size and the ferry company.
- There are often seasonal discounts that apply on the route, which you can find on our blog pages.
- During the summer you can easily organize day-trips to Santorini and Mykonos from the port of Heraklion.
- Before planning your holidays in Crete, have a look at our tips for Heraklion, such as beaches and sightseeing on our destination page.
- We recommend that you book your return from Crete to Athens on time as tickets to these routes can sell out fast, especially for vehicles and cabins.
- On our Ferry map, you can find all ferry connections from Heraklion and the ports of Crete to Cyclades, Dodecanese, and Athens.