Ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete
Tickets, Costs, Times
Is there a ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete?
Yes, there are usually at least 2 daily ferry crossings from the port of Piraeus to Crete during peak season. The route is normally serviced by 5 ferry companies: Blue Star Ferries, Minoan Lines, Anek Lines, Seajets, and Fast Ferries.
The most frequent ferry routes are from Athens (Piraeus) to Heraklion and Chania. There are also ferries to Sitia and Kissamos in Crete.
What’s the ferry schedule from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete?
The ferry connection between Piraeus and Crete is daily all year long. During the high season, there are up to 7 daily ferry crossings from Athens to Crete.
The earliest ferry departs from the port of Piraeus around 09:00, arriving at the port of Heraklion in Crete no earlier than 17:40. The latest departure is usually at 22:00, depending on the season and the ferry crossing.
Please note that ferry timetables are subject to change depending on the season. You can check real-time schedules and ferry ticket prices for the Athens (Piraeus) - Crete crossing on Ferryhopper.
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete?
The cost of a single Piraeus - Crete ferry ticket ranges from about €23 to €83. The final ticket price depends on discounts, offers, seat type, and the ferry company.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Crete from Athens (Piraeus). Check out all the available ferry routes, find the lowest prices and best offers, and book your ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with ease!
Take advantage of the available discounts and travel by ferry from Athens to Crete with lower-cost ferry tickets. The ferry companies offer discounts up to 50% to the following passenger categories:
- Children from 5 to 10 years old
- Permanent residents of islands (holders of Unique Islander Number)
- Students of Greek Public Universities
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
Note: infants and children up to 4 years travel for free. However, keep in mind that available discounts may vary depending on the company you’re traveling with.
Ferry Route Info
How long is the ferry ride from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete?
The Athens to Crete ferry duration ranges from 8.5 hr to 20 hr. The duration of the trip to Crete depends mainly on the type of vessel and the ferry company.
Tip: bear in mind that ferry timetables can change. Therefore, make sure to check your departure time before the trip. You can also track your ferry in real time on the Ferryhopper App!
Is there a high-speed ferry from Athens to Crete?
The ferries operating the route from Athens to Crete are normally conventional. The fastest ferry to Crete makes the trip in approximately 8.5 hr.
What's the distance between Athens and Crete?
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip to Crete from Athens
Here are some useful tips for your ferry trip from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete:
- The port of Piraeus can get quite busy in the summer, so we recommend that you arrive at least 1 hr 30 min prior to departure.
- Summer ferry rides can be bumpy. There is nothing to worry about, but if you feel seasick you can ask the ferry crew for some aspirin or carry with you anti-nausea pills.
- Τhe port of Heraklion, which is the largest in Crete, as well as more ports on the island, are great starting points for island hopping in the Aegean Sea! You can travel by ferry to Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, and more islands in Greece. Check our Map of ferries to discover island-hopping options and plan your itinerary on Ferryhopper.
Where to take the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete
You can catch the ferry to Crete from the port of Piraeus in Athens. The port of Piraeus is located approximately 15 km south of the city center of Athens and 45 km from Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos.
You can get to the port of Piraeus by car, taxi, as well as public transport, including bus, metro and suburban railway.
Ferries from Athens to Crete normally depart from Piraeus Gates E2 and E3. We suggest that you always check your ticket for more information on departure gates, as they can change.
Can I travel on the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete with a car?
Yes, you can travel with a vehicle in the majority of the ferries from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete.
Each company operating the ferry route to Crete from Athens has its own baggage allowance policy. Specifically:
- Minoan Lines allows each passenger to carry up to 2 pieces of luggage and 1 hand luggage.
- On Seajets and Blue Star Ferries, passengers can bring single luggage weighing up to 50 kg.
- In Fast Ferries there is no weight limit for luggage.
Most ferries from Athens (Piraeus) to Crete have cabins.
You can travel with your pet on the ferry to Crete from Athens, depending on the company and type of vessel you’ve chosen. Make sure to carry along the necessary certificates, tickets and any pet supplies you may need for your trip.
Book cheap ferry tickets from Athens to Crete
You can easily book Crete ferry tickets on Ferryhopper. Find all available ferry crossings, compare companies, schedules and prices, and book your ferry to Crete from Piraeus at the same prices as ferry companies!