Ferry from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete)
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Santorini to Heraklion, Crete?
There are usually 3-4 daily ferry crossings from Santorini to Crete (Heraklion) during the summer months. In the off-season, on the other hand, the route operates with 1-2 weekly sailings. The ferry companies that operate on the route are Seajets, Blue Star Ferries and Fast Ferries.
Please note that ferry timetables are subject to change depending on the season.
What’s the ferry schedule from Santorini to Heraklion, Crete
The Santorini to Crete ferry crossing operates all year long. There are usually up to 4 daily ferries from Santorini to Heraklion.
The earliest Santorini - Heraklion ferry departs at 15:00 and reaches the port of Heraklion around 16:50. The latest departure from Santorini to Crete is usually at around 01:00, with the ferry arriving between 04:00 and 05:00.
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Santorini to Heraklion?
The Santorini to Heraklion ferry price ranges from about €16 to €93. The final ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on the operator, season, discounts, seat type, or vehicle selection.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Heraklion from Santorini. Check out all the available ferry routes, find the lowest ferry prices, and book your ferry tickets on Ferryhopper at with no hidden fees.
Take advantage of the available discounts and travel by ferry from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete) with lower-cost ferry tickets. The ferry companies offer discounts of up to 50% to the following passenger categories:
- Children from 5 to 10 years old
- Members of large families
- Permanent residents of islands (holders of Unique Islander Number)
- Students of Greek Public Universities
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
Note: infants and children up to 5 years travel for free. However, keep in mind that available discounts may vary depending on the company you’re traveling with.
Ferry Route Info
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Heraklion, Crete?
The Santorini to Crete ferry time is approximately 2 hr with a high-speed vessel and around 3-4.5 hr with a conventional ferry.
Tip: bear in mind that ferry timetables may change. Therefore, make sure to check your departure time before the trip. You can also track your ferry in real time on the Ferryhopper App!
Is there a high-speed ferry from Santorini to Heraklion?
Yes, you can travel with a high-speed ferry from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete), but only from April to October. The fastest ferry to Heraklion from Santorini takes about 1 hr 45 min.
What's the distance between Santorini and Heraklion?
The distance from the port of Santorini (Athinios) to the port of Heraklion is 65 nautical miles (120 km).
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip to Heraklion from Santorini
Here are some travel tips for your trip from Santorini to Heraklion:
- The port of Santorini is small and can get extra crowded in the high season. We recommend accounting for extra time to arrive at the port.
- Apart from Crete, you can organize many day trips and island hopping from Santorini. Visit our blog with top day trips from Santorini to get inspiration!
- Summer ferry rides can be bumpy. There is nothing to worry about, but if you feel seasick, you can ask the ferry crew for some aspirin or carry with you anti-nausea pills.
- We recommend booking your return to Santorini in advance as tickets sell out fast.
- From the Heraklion bus station, located 700 m (10 min walk) from the port, you can take a bus to many cities, villages and coastal areas in Crete.
- Read our Heraklion travel guide for useful information and tips about the island.
Where to take the ferry from Santorini to Heraklion?
The Santorini - Crete ferry departs from the port of Athinios in Santorini. Athinios is located on the southwest side of the island. It’s about 8 km south of the capital town of Fira and 9 km from Santorini’s airport.
The boat from Santorini to Crete departs only from the port of Athinios. Therefore, considering it is a small port, it can get quite crowded, particularly in July and August.
There are taxis and public buses that offer services to the port, but they can sell out fast. On our blog, you can find a helpful travel guide for the port of Santorini.
Can I travel on the ferry from Santorini to Heraklion with a car?
Yes, you can travel to Heraklion (Crete) from Santorini with a vehicleon the majority of the ferries.
Both conventional and high-speed ferries provide the service of vehicle transfer. Ferry prices range from around€30 to €100 depending on the type of vehicle, the ferry company as well as the season.
Each company operating the Santorini to Heraklion ferry route has its own baggage allowance policy. Specifically:
- On Seajets and Blue Star Ferries, passengers can bring single luggage weighing up to 50 kg.
- In Fast Ferries there is no weight limit for luggage.
Some ferries traveling from Santorini to Crete have cabins but the majority of them offer numbered seats.
You can travel with your pet on the Santorini - Crete ferry, depending on the company and type of vessel. Make sure to carry along the necessary certificates, tickets and any pet supplies you may need for your trip.
Book ferry tickets from Santorini to Heraklion, Crete
You can book ferry tickets from Santorini to Heraklion, Crete, online on Ferryhopper. On our Map of ferries, you can see all the available ferry connections, compare ferry companies and fares, and book your ferry trip to Heraklion easily and quickly!