Traveling from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete) by ferry
There are at least 2 daily ferry crossings from Santorini to Heraklion in the summer months, with a sailing duration of 2 hours. Find all information regarding ticket prices and departure times. Compare ferry companies and book your ferry tickets.
Ferry schedules from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete)*
Is there a ferry from Santorini to Heraklion?
There are usually 1 or 2 daily ferry crossings by 4 ferry companies on this route throughout the year. The Santorini to Heraklion connection is mainly seasonal served by high-speed ferries as well as one conventional ferry (F/B Prevelis). This can change regarding the season and the weather, but you can compare information and check real-time data on our fare search engine. The ferry companies that usually operate on this route are Seajets, Minoan Lines, Golden Star Ferries, and Aegeon Pelagos.
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Heraklion?
The ferry ride is approximately 2 hours with a high-speed vessel and almost 6 hours with a conventional one.
How much is the ferry from Santorini to Heraklion?
The price for a single economy ticket can be from 54€ to 85€ for high-speed ferries. The price for the conventional ferry ticket is lower, starting from 25€, however, the trip is much longer. The final ticket cost depends on discounts, offers, seat type, or ferry company.
What's the ferry schedule from Santorini to Heraklion?
During the summer season, there are at least 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Heraklion. The majority of the ferries depart from Santorini in the afternoon, around 17.00 - 18.00. During the winter (November - April) there is usually a sailing once a week by the conventional ferry F/B Prevelis that serves this route.
What's the distance between Santorini and Heraklion?
The distance from the port of Santorini (Athinios) to the port of Heraklion is 65 nautical miles (i.e. 120 km).
Am I allowed to travel from Santorini to Heraklion?
Yes, ferry traveling across Greek destinations is currently allowed. For updated information on COVID-19 and ferry traveling in Greece please visit our relevant FAQ section.
Where can I book ferry tickets from Santorini to Heraklion?
On Ferryhopper you can compare all ferry schedules from Santorini to Heraklion, ticket prices, and ferry companies to book your ferry tickets online, in the easiest way.
The impressive ruins of the palace of Knossos, located 6 km from the port of Heraklion.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Santorini to Heraklion
- The port of Santorini (Athinios) is small and can get extra crowded in high season. On our blog, you can find a helpful guide for the port of Santorini.
- Summer ferry rides can be a bit bumpy. There is nothing to worry about but if you feel seasick you can ask the ferry crew for some aspirin or carry with you anti-nausea pills.
- We recommend booking your return to Santorini in advance as tickets sell out fast.
- For more info on the city and what to do in Heraklion, please visit our relevant destination page.
- From the Heraklion bus station, located 700 meters (10 minutes walk) from the port, you can take a bus to many cities, villages, and coastal areas in Crete.
- Check our Ferry Map for all available ferry connections from the port of Heraklion including Athens, Naxos, or Mykonos.