Traveling from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete) by ferry
The ferry connection between Heraklion (Crete) and Santorini (Thira) is a seasonal route, but a very popular one. From mid-April to late October, you can expect multiple daily itineraries, most of them departing in the morning from Santorini in afternoon. In the low season between October and March, this connection is covered rather infrequently by older, conventional ferries. As you can see below, the minimum fare range for an adult is €28-€45 for a standard ticket, and the trip duration varies from 1h45m (high-speed ferries) to 5h55m (conventional ferry).
Ferry schedules from Santorini to Heraklion (Crete)*
Santorini to Heraklion: Trip duration
Heraklion is one of the biggest ports of the island of Crete and Santorini is located in cyclades. High-speed catamarans are operating on this ferry route during the summer season. The trip is performed within 2 hours. Weather can play a role in trip duration though, as, in windy days the trip duration might be extended by as much as one hour for these vessels.
From which port of Santorini do I depart?
Ferries usually depart from Santorini in the afternoon and return back from Heraklion early the next day.Santorini (or Thira) has only one port that serves passenger ferries and the name of the port is Athinios. The port is located on the middle-west side of the island.
Book in advance ferry tickets from Santorini to Crete
The most important thing if you really want to visit Heraklion from is to be quick and find a ticket. We advise you to book your tickets at least three months prior to your trip as this is a very busy route during summer. Ferryhopper is here to help you find all the possible options; it is up to you to choose the perfect one and book it while there is still availability.
Tips for the ferry trip from Santorini to Heraklion
- Ferry rides can become a bit bumpy during summer. There is absolutely nothing to be worry about, rather than getting a bit seasick. If you do not feel well you can always ask the ferry crew for some aspirins.
- Tickets to Heraklion from Santorini always sell out fast during high-season. If you are planning to take a ferry from Santorini to Heraklion on late July or August, make sure to book your tickets well in advance.
- Heraklion is probably the most famous port of Crete, but there are also other ports that may be convenient for you, such as Rethymno and Chania.
- The port of Heraklion is usually very crowded during the whole summer season, and multiple ferries can arrive/depart at the same time. Make sure to be there on time and ask the port authorities personnel for information regarding your ferry.
- Island hopping around Santorini is the best! Check our Ferry Maps to discover nearby islands.