North Aegean, Greece
Oinousses is a cluster of small beautiful islands in the North Aegean. They are famous for the quiet and hospitable atmosphere, the wonderful beaches with the clear blue waters, the impressive natural landscapes and their nautical tradition. On this page, you can find all the information about Oinousses, the beaches, the sights, the activities and the ferry itineraries. Book cheap ferry tickets online on Ferryhopper!
Vacation in Oinousses
Oinousses is a complex of 9 small islands and islets, located between Turkey and Chios. The largest and only inhabited island is called Oinoussa or Aignousa according to the locals. Oinousses is an ideal destination if you are looking for a peaceful vacation in a pristine paradise, away from the big crowds. Families and couples choose the island to spend some days of their holidays, to relax on one of their serene beaches and eat traditional fresh food.
How to get to Oinousses
You can get to Oinousses from mainland Greece through the ports of Piraeus and Kavala, as there are frequent ferry crossings. Also, you can easily get to Oinousses from another island of the Aegean, like neighboring Chios.
Find more details on how to reach Oinousses by ferry in the section below.
Magnificent view of the Aegean from the Oinoussa settlement
What to do in Oinousses
Oinousses are great for few-day holidays in order to relax and leave aside the everyday concerns. Here you will have the opportunity to enjoy the sun, the crystal clear waters of the stunning beaches and bays, and the unique natural beauties. In addition, you should definitely stroll around the settlement of Oinoussa as you will find out the history of the island, admire the impressive old mansions and the architecture. Lastly, don’t miss trying fresh fish and seafood in the seaside tavernas!
Beaches in Oinousses
Oinousses are full of beaches and small bays with blue, mirror-like waters! Most of them are easily accessible by car or even on foot. Some others are more secluded and can be accessed by boat. Some of the most popular beaches in Oinousses are:
Sights and activities in Oinousses
Oinousses have a rich history and many sights, as well as irresistible natural beauties that are worth exploring. For your holidays on the island Ferryhopper suggests:
- The traditional settlement in Oinoussa: The picturesque settlement of Oinoussa will enchant you with the beautiful colorful houses, the cobbled streets, the impressive mansions of the shipowners and the aristocratic atmosphere. Here you will see the church of Agios Nikolaos, the patron saint of the island and protector of sailors.
- The sculpture of the mermaid: As you enter the port of Oinoussa, you are greeted by the bronze sculpture of the sculptor Mary Papakonstantinou. It is a mermaid, a lifelong companion of sailors at sea, with a crown and a sailboat in her left hand.
- Visiting the islands of the complex: The deserted islands of Oinousses are full of hidden beauties: idyllic landscapes, wonderful waters and impressive seabed. Take the local boat and discover the magic of the unexplored Aegean!
- Naval Museum: Here you will have the opportunity to learn about the naval history of Oinousses. Ship models, naval instruments, documents, old photographs, paintings and books will take you to other eras!
- Holy Monastery of the Annunciation of the Virgin: Beautiful monastery in the northwestern part of Oinoussa with pieces of art based on drawings by Fotis Kontoglou.
The luminous port of Oinousses at night
Useful information for Oinousses
The settlement of Oinoussa is the only settlement of the complex and the port of the island. Here you will find several amenities for the visitors: pharmacies, mini market, bakery, shops, post office, ATM, Citizens' Service Center and a regional doctor's office. In the settlement, there are also many cafes and taverns
Regarding accommodation, you will find a few rooms for rent in the settlement of Oinoussa. Due to their limited number, we suggest you book your stay in Oinousses on time!
Important phone numbers for your stay in Oinousses
Some useful phone numbers for your vacation in Oinousses:
- Oinousses Regional Clinic: +302271055300
- Municipality of Oinousses: +302271351300
- Oinousses citizen service center (KEP): +302271351318
- Port Station: +302271055394
- Police Station: +302271055222
Transportation in Oinousses
The island has a good road network on the perimeter of the island that allows easy transportation. You can also travel on foot, as the distances are short, while there are some sea taxis.
Oinousses ferry: schedules and tickets
The port of Oinoussa is connected to Athens and Northern Greece by ferries from Piraeus and Kavala. The ferry connections for the island are the following:
- Piraeus - Oinousses: The route runs around 3 times a week. The journey takes about 9 to 12 hours.
- Kavala - Oinousses: The ferry connection is served at least once a week and the duration of the trip by ship is around 10 hours.
On Ferryhopper you can compare prices and book ferry tickets to Oinousses online at no extra charge!
Island hopping from Oinousses
The port of Oinoussa has regular ferry services with other islands of the North Aegean as well as with some islands of the Cyclades. The nearest destination is Chios, which you can easily visit, as the itineraries are frequent and some last only 25 minutes. Oinoussa has direct ferry routes to the following ports:
- Ikaria (Agios Kirikos, Evdilos)
- Samos (Vathi, Karlovasi)
On the Ferryhopper Map of ferries, you can see all available ferry connections from Oinousses. Organize your dream vacation in the Aegean islands easily and quickly!
Where to book ferries to Oinousses?
Can't wait to relax next to the crystal clear waters of Oinousses? On Ferryhopper you can book Oinousses tickets online at the best prices. On our page, you will find all the necessary information about the island, the prices, the departure times and the itineraries of the ferries, in order to plan your voyage in just 4 clicks!