Taking the ferry from Italy to Greece is one of the most popular ways to travel from one country to the other. The trip is preferred every year by passengers traveling from central and northern Europe to Italy by car and then crossing to Greece by ferry. In this Ferryhopper article, you can find real-time updates on ferry routes between Italy and Greece for 2021, as well as ferry schedules, prices and special offers.
Note: Due to the current COVID-19 situation, ferry itineraries may change. Ferryhopper will keep you updated every week in order to find all the latest information on the Italy - Greece ferry crossings.
Which are the ports that connect Italy and Greece?
There are 4 ports in Italy that serve the ferry connection to Greece:
On the other hand, there are 2 main Greek ports that serve ferry crossings to Italy:
You should keep in mind that ferry routes from Italy to Greece are generally popular and ferry tickets may be sold out by mid Spring. We recommend that you book your tickets as early as possible, to avoid unavailability.
A sunny day above the port in Ancona.
Which ferry companies serve the Italy - Greece sailing?
As for now, the ferry companies operating the ferry routes between Italy and Greece are Minoan Lines, Grimaldi Lines and ANEK - Superfast. All the vessels have garages for vehicle transportation and cabins, considering some of the sailings last well over 15 hrs!
Which are the expected ferry schedules for Italy - Greece in 2021?
Most probably, all ferry routes between Italy and Greece will continue to operate in 2021, if the conditions with COVID-19 allow it.
Ferry route: Ancona - Igoumenitsa and Patras
Several weekly ferry crossings from Ancona to Greece are expected to operate in 2021. The ferry trip from Ancona to Igoumenitsa takes 17 hrs on average while the journey from Ancona to Patras lasts approximately 22.5 hrs. Due to the long duration of the ferry trip, we advise you to book a cabin for a comfortable voyage. The price of the ferry ticket depends on the seat and the amenities that you choose (cabin, vehicle transportation)
Ferry route: Venice - Igoumenitsa and Patras
The Venice - Greece ferry route will, most probably, continue to operate as it connects Greece with North Italy. The frequency of the ferry departures usually is several times a week and the duration of the trip to both Greek ports is over 1 day. For that reason, booking a bed cabin is highly recommended.
Lighthouse in the old port of Bari overlooking the Adriatic.
Ferry route: Bari - Igoumenitsa and Patras
The ferry route from Bari to Greece is rather popular, as it is the second shortest connection from Italy to Greece. For 2021, ferries will travel almost every day between the two countries. The ferry trip from Bari to Patras usually lasts 17 hrs 30 min, while the Bari - Igoumenitsa ferry journey usually ranges from around 10 to 13 hrs.
Ferry route: Brindisi - Igoumenitsa and Patras
The ferry crossing from Brindisi to Greece is the shortest between Italy and Greece. The duration of the ferry trip to Igoumenitsa is almost 9 hrs and to Patras, around 17 hrs. The ferry company that we expect to serve the Brindisi - Igoumenitsa and Brindisi - Patras crossings in 2021, is Grimaldi Lines, which offers electronic tickets to reduce physical contact.
Greece - Italy ferry with a Camper
Traveling by ferry between Italy and Greece is the perfect way to bring your caravan or motorhome with you. There are 2 offers and discounts on the ferry ticket prices that are specially designed for passengers traveling with a camper: the “Camping on Board” and the “All-Inclusive Camping” offers. Exclusively for the Adriatic routes (Italy - Greece), your deck-and-camper or caravan ticket includes the following at no extra charge:
- Garage space for your motorhome or caravan
- Access to onboard showers, WCs, 220-volt power outlets and to all public areas onboard, such as bars, restaurants, etc.
- Accommodation in your caravan or in an internal cabin, depending on the ferry company’s policy
- Discounts on meals and drinks served at the “à la carte” and self-service restaurants during the voyage
On Ferryhopper you can book ferry tickets online for the Greece-Italy route for you and your caravan! If you would like to take advantage of this special offer, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will help you find the ferry itinerary that suits you the best. Our team will be happy to combine different offers and find the lowest prices for you and your traveling companions! You can find more information in our blog post "Travelling from Europe and Italy to Greece by Car, Camper or Caravan."
Ferries in the traditional port of Venice.
Offers and discounts for the Greece - Italy ferry routes
The ferry companies that operate the Greece - Italy ferry routes, occasionally promote offers and discounts on the prices of ferry tickets. The main offers that are still active and probably remain for 2021 are:
- Early Booking Discount: This is a seasonal discount that runs from December till February/March. A 20-30% discount is usually applied to the overall ticket price. Please note that tickets issued with this discount can be neither canceled nor refunded. You can find more information about this discount here.
- International Student Discount: International Student Card (ISIC) holders are eligible for discounted tickets at the same rate as Greek university students (20% discount on economy seats etc.). If you would like to choose this discount, please select the related discount from the drop-down menu.
- Return Tickets Discount: When issuing a return ticket, a discount is provided by the ferry operator (usually 20% or 30% on the return ticket) and it is automatically applied from Ferryhopper's ferry booking system.
- Children Discount: There are special prices for children, who can travel either free of charge or with a 50% discount. These discounts are automatically calculated during the booking process. Please note that this discount cannot be combined with other discounts, e.g. Family Discount.
- Family Discount: This discount applies to all ferry operators that serve the Italy - Greece route and it is automatically calculated when 3 or more ferry tickets are issued in the same booking. The discount rate varies depending on the ferry operator.
- Discount for Automobile clubs (e.g. ADAC): This is a 20-25% discount on vehicles of specific automobile or camping clubs and associations. You are eligible for this discount if you are a member of clubs like ADAC, ANWB, TCS, ÖAMTC etc. Please note that the discount applies on the vehicle fare only and it cannot be combined with the Family Discount or other offers. You can combine it however with the Early Booking Offer.
If you have any questions about the offers and discounts, don’t hesitate to contact us!
How to book ferry tickets for Italy - Greece routes in 2021?
The above forecasts are based on data from previous years and taking into consideration the current COVID-19 situation. Therefore, it is not unlikely that some changes will occur in the ferry schedules for 2021. Ferryhopper is committed to keeping you up to date with all the latest developments and news so that you can organize your Italy - Greece journey and book your ferry tickets easily.