Ferry from Piombino to Elba
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Piombino to Elba?
The Piombino - Elba ferry route is available with about 50 daily sailings to the 3 ports of the island: Portoferraio, Rio Marina and Cavo.
The route is active all year round, operated by 4 ferry companies: Blu Navy, Corsica Ferries, Toremar, and Moby Lines.
What’s the ferry schedule from Piombino to Elba?
Usually, the first ferry to Elba leaves from Piombino at 05:30 in the morning, arriving at around 06:30. The last ferry is scheduled for 22:30 and reaches Elba at 23:30.
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Piombino to Elba?
The price of the ferry tickets to Elba from Piombino starts at €12. The final cost may vary depending on seasonality and the ferry operator.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Elba from Piombino.
Take a look at our ferry routes, find the lowest prices and best offers, and book your ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with no hidden fees. Current offers will be automatically applied when booking your ferry tickets.
On all Piombino - Elba ferries, children from 0 to 3 years travel for free, whereas children up to 12 years old are entitled to reduced fares.There are also special rates for Elba residents and those who own a home in one of the island's municipalities.
Ferry route info
How long is the ferry ride from Piombino to Elba?
The duration of the ferry trip from Piombino to Elba varies between 15 min and 1 hr, depending on the port you’re traveling to:
- The Piombino - Portoferraio route lasts about 40 min to 1 hr.
- The Piombino - Rio Marina route usually lasts 45 min.
- The Piombino - Cavo route lasts about 15 min.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Piombino to Elba?
Yes, the route from Piombino to Elba is also operated by hydrofoils. Traveling with Toremar allows you to reach the port of Cavo in Elba in just 15 min.
What’s the distance between Piombino and Elba?
The distance between Piombino and Elba is approximately 13 nautical miles (about 21 km).
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip to Elba from Piombino
Check out some useful travel tips for your ferry to Elba:
- In July and August, and on weekends, make sure to arrive at the port of Piombino well in advance to avoid overcrowding, especially if you want to bring along your vehicle.
- Remember that from April to early October, daily trips to Elba are numerous and run throughout the day, with departures every 15 min. The frequency, however, decreases during the winter months.
- With our travel guide, you can discover what to do and see on the island of Elba.
- If you wish to get around Elba by ferry, there are connections between Portoferraio and Cavo. The ferry trip lasts about 20 min.
- After your holidays in Elba, you can catch a ferry from Portoferraio and get to the island of Corsica in 1 hr and 30 min. Take a look at the Elba - Bastia ferry route here!
- Most ferry companies that operate on the Piombino - Elba route issue electronic tickets. This way, you can check in online and present your ticket directly from your mobile device.
Where to take the ferry from Piombino to Elba
Ferries and hydrofoils to Elba depart from the port of Piombino (usually from Molo Elba), which is less than 2 km from the city center. You can easily reach the port by train in about 20 min.
If you want to travel by ferry without a car, you can safely leave your car inside the Piombino port area. There are several parking lots available here, both free and paid.
Can I travel on the ferry from Piombino to Elba with a car?
Vehicles are allowed on most ferries from Piombino to Elba.
Only on some Toremar hydrofoils, you cannot travel with a vehicle as they do not have car decks.
Tip: organizing a camper trip to the island of Elba is one of the most popular ways to save money on accommodation while moving around freely!
The companies that operate on the ferry route from Piombino to Elba have different policies for luggage:
- With Toremar, passengers are allowed to bring luggage with a maximum weight of 20 kg on ferries and 10 kg on hydrofoils.
- Corsica Ferries allows passengers to carry a single piece of hand luggage for free, with maximum dimensions of 200x100x50 cm.
- On the ferries of Blue Navy and Moby Lines, there are no limitations on the size and weight of luggage per passenger.
Due to the short duration of the trip, there are no cabins on ferries to Elba from Piombino.
However, there are armchairs, numbered seats and bars where you can relax during the crossing. Alternatively, if the weather permits, you can remain on deck and enjoy the stunning scenery of the Tuscan coast until your arrival.
Traveling with your pet to Elba from Piombino is easy and convenient. All you have to do is add it to your booking and pay an additional fee.
Small pets must travel in a carrier or cage, while medium and larger ones must be muzzled and on a leash.
On some ferries, dogs are only permitted on the upper decks.
Book cheap ferry tickets from Piombino to Elba
On Ferryhopper, you can book cheap ferry tickets from Piombino to Elba easily and quickly. Find more information about ferry connections on our Map of ferries, compare companies, prices and schedules, and plan your trip!