Piombino is a seaside town in the province of Livorno. Located in the final stretch of the beautiful Etruscan Coast, Piombino is famous for its port, but not only!
On Ferryhopper you will find useful information about ferries to / from Piombino, must-see places, beaches, and local delicacies. Check all available ferry routes from Piombino and book your ferry tickets with just a few clicks!
Here, you can find detailed travel information about:
Picturesque alley in the historic center of Piombino
Vacation in Piombino
For many, Piombino is just an important reference as a port. In reality though, there’s much more to Piombino than just a marina. In fact, you will need at least 1-2 days to discover the beauties of this seaside town, including its ancient historical center, its heavenly beaches and its several archaeological sites.
If you are planning to visit Tuscany, you could add Piombino to your itinerary and perhaps also take the opportunity to visit the nearby islands of the Archipelago.
Don't miss the chance to learn more about this Italian town and enjoy the many options it offers to every type of traveler!
How to get to Piombino
You can reach Piombino from all parts of Italy by car, bus, train, and, of course, by ferry.
Piombino is easily reached by train since it offers two railway stations: Piombino Centrale and Piombino Marittima (it ends in front of the port).
The closest airport to Piombino is Pisa, about 109km away. From here, however, you will have to arrive at Pisa station (which is 2km from the airport) and then continue to Piombino by train or bus.
The port of Piombino can also be reached by ferry from the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago (Elba and Pianosa) as well as the island of Corsica.
Night view of the city of Piombino in Tuscany
What to do in Piombino
During your vacation in Piombino, you will be fascinated not only by its port, but also by its historic center - which Napoleon Bonaparte's sister called "my little Paris" - and its medieval monuments.
Reach Piazza Bovio (the largest coastal piazza in Europe) and enjoy an aperitif at one of the many small bars of the area. Await the sunset and admire the panoramic view of the coast and the islands of the Archipelago.
From Piombino you can also move north to discover the Gulf of Baratti, with its magnificent beaches and villages that seem stuck in time. And if you love history, you should know that Piombino is among the most popular destinations for archaeological tourism: in fact, 7km away lies the ancient city of Populonia, a must-visit!
Finally, the city’s crystal clear waters and impressive coastline make it a haven for visitors who want to engage in watersports, such as sailing, surfing and scuba diving.
Beaches in Piombino
The Piombino area and the entire Etruscan Coast are home to some of the most breathtaking beaches in Tuscany. Some are wild and protected, while others are organized and equipped with everything a visitor might be looking for.
Here are our 7 favorite beaches in Piombino and its surroundings:
- Salivoli: located near the marina, it is small with fine sand and pebbles. The area is equipped with bathing establishments and a food court. The sea is clean and its shallow waters are perfect for children.
- Quagliodromo: it stretches for about 4km to the Terre Rosse resort and has one of the most beautiful waters in the area. It is characterized by fine white sand. A small part of the beach is equipped with a bathing establishment, which is accessible to people with disabilities and pets.
- Rimigliano: located in the municipality of San Vincenzo and within a beautiful coastal nature park, Rimigliano beach is just 15 min from Piombino. The 6km shoreline has golden sand and is surrounded by dunes and shrubs. It is also equipped with showers and toilets.
- Baratti: it is distinguished by its beautiful pine forest. You can reach it from Piombino in less than 15 min. Keep in mind that it is among the most popular areas and it is challenging to find free parking during the summer. There you will also find a bathing establishment with a bar.
- Cala Moresca: this beach stands out for its clear waters and is perfect for enjoying a sunset with views of Elba and Gorgona. Here you will find various services, such as bars, restaurants and bathing establishments.
- Torre Mozza: located within the Sterpaia Coastal Park, this beach is part of a protected natural area. It is very long and wide and behind it you will find a pine forest that offers natural shade. Torre Moza has also been awarded the Blue Flag for its clear waters.
- Baia Buca delle Fate: located near the village of Populonia, it is easily reached from Piombino on foot through the Sentiero dei Cavalleggeri trail. This is also a must-see destination for snorkelers!
The breathtaking bay of Buca delle Fate, in the Gulf of Baratti, during sunset
Sightseeing in Piombino
Piombino is a city with a rich history. In fact, it is one of the longest-lasting city-states in Italy. The numerous architectural monuments and works of art that are preserved in the historic center are evidence of this.
Here are some attractions in Piombino not to be missed:
- Piazza Bovio and La Rocchetta Lighthouse, the largest Italian square by the sea
- Torrione, the ancient gateway to the city built in 1212, and the Rivellino, built next to the tower
- Ancient port of Piombino
- Palazzo Comunale
- Medici fortress
- Fountain of the Canals
- Casa delle Bifore, an example of true medieval architecture
- Church of Sant'Antimo
- Piombino Citadel, built on the hill of Santa Maria
Nightlife in Piombino
Although Piombino is a relatively quiet town, it still offers several options for those who want to have fun in the evening.
Have an aperitif at the clubs along the Lungomare Marconi street and enjoy the beautiful view of Elba Island. Dine at one of the amazing seafood restaurants and, later on, pay a visit to the numerous pubs in the historic center.
Throughout the Piombino area, several events are also organized every year. Among the most important events is Sagra del Pesce, dedicated to seafood specialties from the Etruscan Coast and taking place next to Piazza Bovio.
To enjoy livelier evenings, you can always reach Livorno in 1 h 15 min from Piombino
Food in Piombino
Piombino has an ancient and special culinary history with a mix of seafood and land dishes.
Here are some of the most delicious local delicacies to try during your holidays in Piombino:
- boiled octopus
- stockfish with potatoes
- cod alla livornese (served with a light tomato sauce)
- anchovies alla povera (anchovies marinated in vinegar and seasoned with lemon juice)
- mullet and cacciucco alla livornese (Livorno-style fish stew)
- torta di ceci (chickpea cake)
- violet artichoke
- chianina steak
Fun fact: Piombino also stands out for its production of excellent wine. In fact, the town is a member of the City of Wine Association and has several DOC and DOCG label classifications!
A delicious dish of octopus alla piombinese served with bread
What to visit around Piombino
From Piombino you can easily reach several unspoilt corners, small towns and important archaeological sites of the Tuscan Archipelago.
Among the must-visit destinations is definitely Populonia, an ancient and very important Etruscan town just 15km from Piombino. If you are a medieval enthusiast, we would also suggest visiting the hilltop villages of Bolgheri, Suvereto and Campiglia Marittima!
The medieval village of Populonia situated on a beautiful promontory
Tips for Piombino
Here are 3 helpful tips for your holidays in Piombino:
- If you love antiques, you will be excited to discover that there’s a perfect market for you that takes place on Corso Italia every Sunday.
- When the time comes to leave Piombino, keep in mind that in the summer months you may find a lot of traffic getting to the port, especially on weekends. We therefore recommend getting there well in advance.
- Since the Piombino - Elba ferry connection is among the most popular, we suggest you book your tickets in advance, especially if you plan to travel with your car.
Useful information about Piombino
Piombino is the main center of the Val di Cornia area. The historic center is pedestrianized so it is perfect for leisurely walks. Most of the stores and businesses are also located here.
Hotels are difficult to find in the town, but moving north there are several B&Bs and farm houses just outside Piombino, in the direction of San Vincenzo. Other recommended places to stay are Castagneto Carducci, Donoratico, Marina di Castagneto, Bolgheri, Bibbona, Cecina, and Rosignano Marittimo.
As for health care, there is a central hospital in the city and several clinics scattered throughout the area. The nearest tourist medical guard service, on the other hand, is located 20 min. from Piombino, in the municipality of San Vincenzo.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Piombino
Here are some useful contacts to keep within reach during your trip to Piombino:
- Villamarina Hospital: +39056567111
- Tourist medical guard: +39056567790
- Carabinieri: +390565225222
- Municipal Police: +39056563350
- Port Authority: +39056522921
- Piombino Marittima: +39056532899
- TIEMME Piombino Bus: +390565260147
- Taxi: +3905651825
- European emergency number: 112
Transportation in Piombino
Piombino is a city that is easy to visit on foot. In fact, the distances between the most important attractions in the center, the port and the waterfront are very short.
If you arrive in town by car, we would recommend finding a parking space. Most parking lots are metered and there are several in the port area.
And if you like biking, you should take advantage of the numerous bike routes around Piombino. Thanks to the almost 20 routes (for different skill levels) you can experience nature to the fullest and explore the beauty of the coast!
The Torrione (also known as the Tower of Saint Anthony) overlooking the buildings of the historic center
Port of Piombino
Located on the border between the Ligurian Sea and the Tyrrhenian Sea, the port of Piombino is one of the main Italian ports. In fact, ferries to Elba Island, Pianosa and Sardinia depart daily from here.
Since it’s only 2km from the city center and the city train station, the port can be easily reached on foot in only 20 min. The port of Piombino can be reached by car, train and bus as well. Regional trains leave from Pisa Centrale station and take about 1 h 15 min to get to Piombino. You can also get to Piombino by bus thanks to the Florence-Piombino Marittima service operated by Busitalia Sita and TIEMME Piombino.
Within the port area, there are various services, such as parking lots, bars, restaurants, car rentals, and hotel facilities.
Piombino ferry: schedules and tickets
From Piombino you can easily reach the islands of the Tuscan archipelago (such as Elba and Pianosa) and the port of Olbia in Sardinia by ferry.
Here you can find more information on the ferry connections from Piombino:
- Ferry Piombino - Elba: the route from the port of Piombino to Elba is available throughout the year with up to 70 daily connections during summer. Ferries reach the island's 3 ports of call (Portoferraio, Rio Marina and Cavo), and the average trip duration ranges from 15 min to 1 hr depending on the port of arrival.
- Ferry Piombino - Pianosa: the route from Piombino to Pianosa is served once a week throughout the year. The crossing lasts approximately 3 hr.
- Ferry Piombino - Olbia: the connection to Olbia from Piombino is seasonal and operates from June to September. There is 1 route per day and ferries take 5.5 hr to reach the Sardinian port.
The picturesque marina in Piombino
Where to book ferry tickets to Piombino online
On Ferryhopper, you can book your ferry to Piombino at the same price with ferry companies. Find all the available ferry connections to the ports of Elba Island, Pianosa and Sardinia and discover the best travel tips for your dreamy vacation to Piombino!
View all trips from and to Piombino
View all ferries departing from or arriving at Piombino in the following week.