Schinoussa is an island in the Small Cyclades. Known for its beautiful beaches, it is an ideal destination for quiet vacations. On this page, you will find information about holidays in Schinoussa regarding the beaches, the settlements, the activities and the food. Check also details on how to get to Schinoussa and book cheap ferry tickets online on Ferryhopper, in just 4 clicks.
Vacation in Schinoussa
Schinoussa is located southeast of Naxos and is an island that offers relaxing and calm holidays. If you want to experience the summer slump with a view of beautiful Cycladic landscapes, to dive in crystal clear waters, then Schinoussa is the destination you are looking for this summer. You should also know that you can get around Schinoussa on foot! Its relatively small size takes away the worries of spending time on transportation.
The beautiful beach of Alygaria with crystal clear waters
How to get to Schinoussa
Getting to Schinoussa is easy as the island is well connected to the port of Piraeus in Athens. There are frequent ferry crossings from Piraeus to Schinoussa all year long and the duration of the ferry trip is around 6.5 hours. You can find more details on how to reach Schinoussa in the section below.
What to do in Schinoussa
Schinoussa has many enchanting beaches with impressive waters that are easily accessible by sea or on foot. The island also offers various outdoor activities and many places to explore. In addition, Schinoussa has calm spots where you can enjoy delicious meals and drinks. We assure you that you will have a perfect time on the island!
Beaches in Schinoussa
Schinoussa has some of the most amazing beaches in the Aegean, with clear blue waters and golden or white sand. Most of them don’t have amenities for the visitors like umbrellas or sunbeds, so we suggest that you have the necessary equipment with you. Keep in mind that most secluded beaches of the island are usually nude-friendly. Some of the most beautiful beaches of Schinoussa are:
- Alygaria: Sandy beach located near Chora. It is windless and has an impressive seabed. Keep in mind that it has no natural shade.
- Lioliou: Beautiful sandy beach with turquoise, shallow waters and tamarisk trees that offer shade. It has a restaurant and rooms to let and is ideal for families.
- Tsigouri: The most popular beach of the island and the closest to Chora (5 minutes). It is large and sandy, with many trees for shade. It has a beach bar, rooms to let and a taverna with amazing views of Iraklia and Ios.
- Livadi: It is located 1 km from Chora, has golden sand and large tamarisk trees. Usually, families prefer it as there is also a taverna nearby.
- Psili Ammos: Beautiful beach of exceptional beauty overlooking Amorgos. Turquoise waters, white sand and a dune compose an impressive scenery.
- Mersini or Piso Ammos: Beach at the back of the port of Schinoussa. It has tamarisks for shade and 2 cafes - restaurants to enjoy snacks or meals.
- Almiros: It has shallow turquoise waters, golden sand and tamarisks and is ideal for families.
- Fikio: Small beach with turquoise waters, ideal if you are looking for tranquility. Better to go when it is not windy.
- Gerolimionas: Small, quiet, beautiful beach with deep waters and wonderful seabed, ideal for exploring with a mask. It has no natural shade.
- Ofidoussa Islet: This is an uninhabited island in the south of Schinoussa that is accessible by boat. There is a magnificent beach with white sand and clear blue waters.
Tip: You should definitely do the tour of the island by boat from the port of Schinoussa. You will have the opportunity to dive in coves with crystal clear waters and easily reach pristine beaches, such as Sifneiko and Gerolimionas.
Strolling around Chora in Schinoussa at sunset
Sightseeing and activities in Schinoussa
Schinoussa offers a full summer experience, as apart from the beaches, it has many sights to visit. Furthermore, the island has a variety of outdoor activities that complement your holidays there. For example, some things to do in Schinoussa are:
- Visiting the Folklore Museum of Schinoussa and the church of Panagia Akathi in Chora
- Visiting the church of the Annunciation in Messaria.
- Admiring the traditional windmill of Schinoussa
- Hiking on its numerous trails
- Climbing the gorge of Harakas
- Exploring the pirate caves of Maniatis and Psaradon
Nightlife in Schinoussa
Although the island is the best to relax and to have tranquil moments by the sea, the nightlife is not missing. We commend that you have drinks at "Vrachos" with the wonderful view of Livadi, to try delicious cocktails at the beach bar in Tsigouri and to go to the cafe "To Kentro" in Chora for a drink or raki. With a little luck, you can find a traditional panigiri with live Greek music.
Tip: At the end of June, the Fava Festival takes place on the island. This is a two-day event with tasting events, presentations of local traditions, but also a lot of fun! It is also worth going to the festival on the 15th of August which lasts 2-3 days.
Food in Schinoussa
In Schinoussa you will taste amazing Cycladic recipes with seafood and local products. We suggest you go to the taverna "Stis Akathis" on the beach of Lioli, to "Petrino" in Messaria, to "Deli" in Chora, to "Loza" for pizza and to the cafe "Hara" for breakfast. Traditional flavors that are worth trying in Schinoussa are:
- Seafood giouvetsi (octopus and orzo casserole)
- Fresh fish
- Patatato (meat and potatoes stew)
- Xinotiri (local cheese)
- Kopanisti (spicy cheese spread)
- Pasteli (honey and sesame bar)
Villages in Schinoussa
Schinoussa has 3 main settlements: Mersini, which is the port of the island, Chora and Messaria. Chora, the capital, is located on a small hill, just 1 km from the port, and has a wonderful view. Additionally, the settlement of Messaria is located about 3 km northeast of the port, very close to the beaches of Psili Ammos and Fykio. All villages are worth visiting as you can catch the original vibe of Schinoussa, admire the traditional Cycladic architecture and enjoy your coffee or ouzaki at the local kafeneia.
Stunning scenery in Schinoussa at sunet
Useful information for Schinoussa
In Chora and Mersini, you will find many amenities for your holidays in Schinoussa: supermarkets, a pharmacy, the regional clinic and an ATM of Piraeus Bank. In terms of accommodation, the island has several rooms for rent, studios and small hotels. The more isolated parts of the island are favorite camping spots for many travelers.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Schinoussa
Some useful phones for the holidays in Schinoussa:
- Municipal Community of Schinoussa: +302285071170
- KEP Schinoussa: +302285360040
- Multipurpose Regional Clinic of Schinoussa: +302285071385
- Schinoussa Port Authority: +302285029229
- Naxos Port Authority: +302285022300
Transportation in Schinoussa
Schinoussa is a small island and there is no need for a car for transportation. You can go anywhere on foot, by sea taxi or by boat.
You can find more Greek destinations that don’t need a car in our relevant article about islands without a car
Ports in Schinoussa
The main port of Schinoussa is located in Mersini and is connected to other Greek ports. There is also a small one in Messaria which only serves crossings to Iraklia and Koufonisia with private sailboats
Island hopping from Schinoussa
The short distance between Schinoussa and Naxos or the other islands of the Small Cyclades makes it an ideal destination for island hopping. Schinoussa is connected by direct routes (and cheap tickets!) To the following islands:
- Amorgos (Katapola, Aegiali)
On the Ferryhopper Map of ferries, you will find all the ferry routes from Schinoussa. Find information about itineraries in the Small Cyclades and get ideas for island combinations, so you can organize your trip to the Aegean easily and quickly!
Clear blue waters at the port of Schinoussa
Schinoussa ferry: schedules and tickets
The easiest way to travel by ferry from Athens and mainland Greece to Schinoussa is via the port of Piraeus. The direct route Piraeus - Schinoussa runs at least 3 times a week throughout the year and the ferry ride lasts around 7 hours.
From Athens, you can also go to Schinoussa with Naxos as an intermediate stop. From there you can take the legendary "Skopelitis Express" vessel, which serves daily itineraries in the Small Cyclades. The trip Naxos - Schinoussa lasts around 1.5-2 hours and the ticket is very cheap.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Schinoussa
Are you looking forward to unforgettable, relaxing vacations in Schinoussa and the Small Cyclades? Book cheap ferry tickets to Schinoussa online at Ferryhopper. Find all ferry routes to and from the island, compare departure times, ferry companies, prices and book your trip with just 4 clicks!
Travel tips & links
Schinoussa ferry timetable
View the complete ferry schedule from and to Schinoussa for the upcoming week. Find up-to-date trip information, including departure and arrival dates and times, ferry operators and ticket prices.