Turgutreis is the second largest town on the peninsula of Halicarnassus (Bodrum) located in the region of Muğla. The coastal town is a popular holiday destination with sandy beaches, sightseeing, and beautiful landscapes. On Ferryhopper, you can find useful information about beaches, local delicacies, and ferries to Turgutreis.
The imposing lighthouse of Turgutreis at the port
Vacation in Turgutreis
During your vacation in Turgutreis, you will discover enchanting beaches, breathtaking landscapes, and historical monuments. Turgutreis is an excellent destination for families, couples, or friends as it is only 50 minutes by car from Milas-Bodrum Airport.
How to get to Turgutreis
Access to the coastal town of Turgutreis is easy by car, train, plane, and ferry. At the moment, the main ferry connection between Greece and Turgutreis is operated via Kos.
The Kos - Turgutreis ferry route operates at least once a day. The ferry departs early in the afternoon and reaches Turgutreis in just 30 minutes.
If you want to travel by plane, you should fly to Milas-Bodrum Airport which is the closest airport to Turgutreis (about 54km from Turgutreis).
If you prefer taking the bus, you will find bus routes connecting the town of Turgutreis to major Turkish cities such as Istanbul and Ankara, as well as from nearby resorts such as Bodrum.
Tip: you can also take a look at all the important Covid-19 documents for Greece - Turkey ferries before your trip.
A beautiful little chapel in the town center
What to do in Turgutreis
Turgutreis is a beautiful seaside resort with enchanting landscapes, incredible views of the surrounding peninsular islands, and crystal-clear waters for summer dives.
Visit the Turgutreis Market that takes place every Saturday. The market is filled with locals and tourists mingling among the colorful stalls with fruit, spice and local delicacies. However, if you are looking for souvenirs, head to the other side of the market where you will find wonderful fabrics, clothes, bags, shoes and handmade rugs.
Head to the port area, see the sailboats moored in the beautiful Turgutreis marina and enjoy your coffee in one of the cafes alongside the sea. There you will also find many restaurants that serve fresh fish, garlic butter shrimp and octopus salad.
In addition to its enchanting beaches, Turgutreis has many streets with branded shops very close to the marina. However, besides the flashy window displays of designer clothes, you'll also find stalls with handmade art pieces that stay open until late at night.
Beaches in Turgutreis
Just a few kilometers from the center of Turgutreis, you will find impressive beaches with crystalline waters. Most of them are fully equipped with sunbeds, umbrellas, excellent restaurants, cafes and bars.
Here you will find the 6 best beaches in Turgutreis:
- Günbatimi: this beach is the closest to Turgutreis and only a 7-minute walk from the marina. It is organized and has a small bar for snacks and refreshments, and if you want a break from sunbathing, you can wander around the tourist shops next to the mosque.
- Meteoroloji: it is located only 14 minutes by car from the center of Turgutreis. It has an organized beach, clear waters and a wonderful view of the beautiful island of Kos.
- Akçabük: the beach of Akçabük is about a 15-minute drive from the town. The beach has dark sand and crystal-clear, turquoise waters. It has a beach bar, restaurant, umbrellas, sunbeds and showers.
- Akyarlar: the Akyarlar area has many bars and restaurants, a small marina, and a few shops. It has a fine sandy beach and shallow, clear waters, ideal for families with small children
- Karaincir Halk: it is surrounded by two hills and protected from the winds. The coastline is about 500 meters with calm, clear blue waters and golden sand.
- Aspat: it was formerly known as the refuge of Genoese pirates. Near the beach, you will also find the Aspat cave so it is ideal if you like hiking through green paths. After your dips in its clear waters, you can also visit the ancient ruins that adorn the Aspat hill.
The mesmerizing area of Akyarlar
Sightseeing in Turgutreis
The town of Turgutreis is very close to enchanting turquoise beaches and deep blue waters and is one of the most beautiful seaside tourist resorts in Turkey.
It has some attractions, however, the most famous of them are located in the wider area of Halicarnassus (Bodrum).
Here you will find the best attractions of Turgutreis town:
- Turgutreis Marina, with its cobbled streets and covered market
- The large market of Turgutreis, with local delicacies and handmade products
- The beautiful Şevket Sabancı Park, near the marina
- The imposing Merkem Cami Mosque
The imposing mosque Merkem Cami
Nightlife in Turgutreis
Turgutreis is a town with relaxed nightlife. You can enjoy your drink near the newly renovated marina of Turgutreis.
If you are still looking for dancing and a perfect cocktail, go to the Red Lion bar and Dance Club that is located in the same area. Also, on the road parallel to the marina, you will find the Apple bar and other shops that play music until the early hours of the morning.
Food in Turgutreis
The cuisine in Turgutreis is rich in spices, vegetables, meat and fish. During your stay in Turgutreis you will taste some of the most delicious delicacies of traditional Turkish cuisine:
- mercimek kofte (meatballs with red lentils and buckwheat)
- yarak dolma (stuffed grape leaves with rice and spices)
- iskender kebab (beef tenderloin with red tomato sauce and pita bread)
- mücver (fried zucchini with yogurt)
- perde pilav (thin layer of dough filled with rice, chicken and peanuts)
- ahtapot salatasi (octopus salad)
- garlic butter shrimp
Traditional Turkish dish, perde pilav
Here are 3 useful tips for your stay in Turgutreis:
- You can convert your currency into Turkish lira in many currency exchange services in the town.
- If you are into hiking, it would be best to visit Turgutreis in the spring or fall, as the weather is cooler and prices are lower.
- We would suggest you drink bottled water instead of tap water.
Useful information about Turgutreis
Turgutreis is a popular tourist destination, which is why it offers many services to its visitors, such as supermarkets, ATMs, pharmacies, medical offices, and car rental offices.
Regarding accommodation in Turgutreis, the seaside resort offers several options such as hotels, apartments, holiday homes, and villas. As for health care, the public hospital is only 5 minutes by car from the center of the town.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Turgutreis
Some useful contacts for your holidays in Turgutreis:
- Marina in Turgutreis: +902523829200
- Tourist Information Office: : +905323054273
- Turgutreis Hospital: +902523823915
- Milas-Bodrum International Airport: +902525111000
- Turgutreis Police Station: +902523823018
- Police emergency: 155
- European emergency number: 112
Transportation in Turgutreis
The best way to get around the town and neighboring cities is to rent a car. Alternatively, you can move around Turgutreis with the local minibus, known as a dolmuş.
The bus is the most low-cost way to travel with frequent routes during the summer months. You can also move around by taxi, but they are much more expensive than public transport.
Port in Turgutreis
The marina (D-Marin) of Turgutreis is only a 5-minute drive from the center of the town. There are bus routes (dolmuş) from/to the port. You can also take a taxi from the taxi stand located at the port. Also, near the marina of Turgutreis, you will find restaurants, shops, ATMs, and toilets.
Turgutreis ferry: schedules and tickets
Turgutreis has direct ferry connections from the port of Kos during the summer months. The shipping company that connects the port of Kos and the Turkish town of Turgutreis is Exas Shipping Services.
Regarding the ferry route to Turgutreis, there is usually 1 daily ferry route from Kos to the port of Turgutreis in Turkey during the summer months. The Kos - Turgutreis ferry takes about 30 minutes and the ticket price starts from €20.
Tip: for more information on the available ferry connections from/to Turgutreis, check our Map of ferries on Ferryhopper.
The beautiful port of Turgutreis
Where to book ferry tickets to Turgutreis online
On Ferryhopper, you can book your ferry tickets to Turgutreis online at the same price with the ferry companies. Find all the information you need about ferries to Turgutreis, compare companies, trip duration, and ticket prices, and organize your holidays in Turgutreis in just a few clicks.