Ferry from Santorini to Athens (all ports)
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Santorini to Athens?
Yes, there are up to 6 daily ferry crossings from the port of Athinios in Santorini to the port of Piraeus year-round. Occasional ferries depart from Santorini to the port of Rafina, during the summer months.
The Santorini - Athens route is usually operated by 8 ferry companies: Seajets, Golden Star Ferries, Blue Star Ferries, Aegeon Pelagos, Minoan Lines, Zante Ferries, Aegean Sea Lines, and Fast Ferries.
What’s the ferry schedule from Santorini to Athens
The Santorini - Athens ferries run 7 times daily and ferry crossings are available throughout the year. There are 4-6 daily ferry crossings from Santorini to Athens (Piraeus) between June and September and 1-3 daily crossings year-round.
Here are more details about ferry schedules from Santorini to Athens:
- Ferry from Santorini to Piraeus: there are daily ferry routes from Santorini to Piraeus year-round. The earliest ferry departs from the port of Athinios around 06:45, arriving in Athens around 14:45. The latest departure is usually at 16:45, depending on the season and the ferry crossing.
- Ferry from Santorini to Rafina: the Santorini - Rafina route is usually daily when in operation. The ferry to Rafina departs from the port of Athinios at 14:15 arriving in Athens around 20:20.
Ferry Tickets, Offers & Discounts
How much is the ferry from Santorini to Athens?
The Santorini - Athens ferry price ranges from around €45 to €90. However, ferry ticket prices get higher or lower depending on discounts, offers, seat or cabin type, and vehicle selection.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available offers for the ferry trip to Athens from Santorini. Take a look at our ferry routes, find the lowest ferry prices and book your ferry tickets with no hidden fees.
Take advantage of the available discounts and travel by ferry from Santorini to Athens with lower-cost ferry tickets. The ferry companies offer discounts up to 50% to the following passenger categories:
- Children from 5 to 10 years old
- Permanent residents of islands (holders of Unique Islander Number)
- Students of Greek Public Universities
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
Note: infants and children up to 4 years travel for free. However, keep in mind that available discounts may vary depending on the company you’re traveling with.
Ferry Route Info
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Athens?
The Santorini to Athens ferry time ranges from 4 hr 40 min to 12 hr 50 min. The duration of the trip to Athens depends mainly on the type of vessel and the ferry company.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Santorini to Athens?
Yes, you can travel with a fast ferry from Santorini to Athens as many companies run the route throughout the year. The duration of the trip with the high-speed ferry to Athens takes about 4 hr 40 min connecting the island of Santorini with the port of Piraeus.
What’s the distance between Santorini and Athens?
The average distance between Santorini and the ports of Athens is approximately 134 nautical miles (248 km).
Ferry Trip Tips
Useful tips for your ferry trip to Athens from Santorini
Here are some useful tips for your ferry trip from Santorini to Athens:
- The port of Athinios in Santorini can get quite busy in the summer, so we recommend that you check the guide for Athinios port before your departure.
- The port of Piraeus is the closest to the city center of Athens. The distance between the port and Athens center is about 10 km. Rafina is located 33 km west of Athens.
- Athens is connected by ferry to more islands in the Saronic Gulf such as Agistri, Poros and Hydra. Check your island-hopping options and plan your itinerary on Ferryhopper.
Where to take the ferry from Santorini to Athens
You can catch the ferry to Athens from the port of Athinios in Santorini. It is located on the western coast of Santorini, 8 km from Fira and 20 km from the village of Oia. You can get to the port by bus, taxi or car.
Can I travel on the Santorini to Athens ferry with a car?
Yes, you can travel with a vehicle on most ferries from Santorini to Athens. Both conventional and high-speed ferries provide the service of vehicle transfer.
Ferry companies are usually quite flexible regarding luggage size and weight. You can store your bags and suitcases at the designated luggage area onboard the ferry to Athens from Santorini.
Good to know: bear in mind that there is no check-in procedure for luggage items.
Tip: each ferry company has its own baggage allowance policy. We recommend that you don’t carry more than 50 kg of luggage to avoid delays due to restricted space in the luggage area.
High-speed ferries such as Seajets and Golden Star Ferries do not have cabins, but they have numbered seats. There are cabins and numbered seats on standard ferries like Blue Star Ferries and Aegean Sea Lines for a more comfortable trip.
You can travel with your pet on the ferry to Athens from Santorini, depending on the company and type of vessel you’ve chosen. Make sure to carry along the necessary certificates, tickets and any pet supplies you may need for your trip.
Book cheap ferry tickets from Santorini to Athens
You can book cheap ferry tickets from Santorini to Athens online on Ferryhopper. On our Map of ferries, you can see all the available ferry connections, compare ferry companies and fares, and book your ferry trip to Athens in just a few steps.