Koufonisia is a dreamlike destination, with exotic beaches and beautiful views of the Aegean sea. On our pages, you can find all useful information about Koufonisia, how to get there, what to do and all island-hopping options in the Small Cyclades. On Ferryhopper you can book your ferry tickets to Koufonisia at the best prices!
How to get to Koufonisia
The easiest way to get to Koufonisia during the whole year is with a direct ferry from Athens. Most of the ferry itineraries from Athens to Koufonisia depart from the port of Piraeus and the ferry trip lasts around 7-8 hrs. There is also the indirect option to travel by ferry from Athens to Koufonisia, via the island of Naxos. The Athens - Naxos - Koufonisia ferry trip can last from 4 to 7,5 hrs depending on the combination of ferry types that you choose to travel with as well as the departure times.
Ferry schedules and ferry tickets to Koufonisia
Koufonisia is a complex of two small islands, located in the center of the so-called, Small Cyclades. The ferries that travel to Koufonisia arrive at the port of Ano (Upper) Koufonisi, which is located on the southwest side of the island. The main ferry connections to Koufonisia include:
- Ferry Piraeus - Koufonisia: The port of Piraeus is regularly connected by ferry to Koufonisia all year round. During the winter there are 3 weekly ferries from Piraeus to Koufonisia while in the summer months there are daily ferry departures. The ferry trip duration from Piraeus to Koufonisia can be from 5 to 7,5 hrs depending on the ferry type.
- Ferry Rafina - Koufonisia: The ferry itinerary from the port of Rafina in Athens to Koufonisia is a seasonal one, and it's usually operated by highspeed ferries. This is an easier departure option if you are arriving in Athens by plane since the port of Rafina is closer to Athens International Airport. The Rafina - Koufonisia ferry trip duration can be from 6 to 8 hrs.
- Ferry Naxos - Koufonisia: The island of Naxos, in the center of the Cyclades, has regular ferry connections to Koufonisia and the rest of the small Cyclades during the whole year. In the winter months, there are at least 3 weekly ferry crossings from Naxos to Koufonisia, while in the summer season there are at least 2 daily ferries operating on this route. The ferry trip duration from Naxos to Koufonisia is from 40 min to 2,5 hrs depending on the ferry type that you choose to travel with. During the whole year, there are also frequent ferries from the ports of Athens to Naxos so you could easily reach the center of Cyclades by ferry and enjoy an island-hopping experience.
On the Ferryhopper search engine, you can compare all ferry schedules to Koufonisia, both direct and indirect, for any time in the year and book the most convenient itinerary for you!
Island-hopping around Koufonisia
Koufonisia belongs in the island complex of the Small Cyclades, a group of islands that is located southeast of Naxos and northeast of Ios. The small Cyclades are famous for their beautiful beaches and they are considered a great destination for relaxing holidays. Koufonisia, right in the center of this island complex, is an ideal departure point to visit the rest of the Small Cyclades as well as more Aegean islands.
From Koufonisia you can travel by ferry to Schoinoussa in 35min, to Irakleia in 50min, to Donousa in 1h, Amorgos in 40min to 2 hrs. Apart from Naxos, Koufonisia has ferry connections to other beautiful Cycladic islands such as Santorini, Paros, Sifnos, or Milos.
On our updated map of ferries, you can see all the ferry connections from Koufonisia in order to organize the most exciting island hopping experience in the Cyclades!
What to do in Koufonisia
Let us first introduce this unique destination: Koufonisia is a group of 2 islands, ‘Pano’ or ‘Ano’ (Upper) Koufonisi and ‘Kato’ (Lower) Koufonisi. They are both islands of incredible beauty, with their main asset being the turquoise waters of their seas. Their main difference though is that Kato Koufonisi is a secluded getaway: First, there is no accommodation available to spend the night at Kato Koufonisi, unless you want to camp in the beach under the night sky and second, you cannot drive at Kato Koufonisi as there are no defined roads.
Ano Koufonisi, by contrast, is a small island that has all the comforts that you need to spend a relaxing holiday by the sea. When therefore one refers to Koufonisia as a port as well as a summer holiday option, they most probably mean Ano (Upper) Koufonisi. In Ano Koufonisi the lyrics 'summertime...and the living is easy' make total sense: a small picturesque island, with beautiful beaches, relaxing pace and short distances so you can easily walk everywhere.
Beaches in Koufonisia
The beaches in Koufonisia are the island’s most attractive element: crystal clear, turquoise waters, golden sand and a beautiful landscape surrounding them. A real paradise in the middle of the Aegean sea! Best beaches in Koufonisia:
- Foinikas or Charokopou beach
One of the biggest advantages of Pano Koufonisi is that, given its small size, it is possible to reach all of the great beaches of the island on foot. As you walk in the coastline from the beach of Charokopou (Foinikas) to Gala you will also find few natural pools and caves to swim at and explore.
Tip: Don't miss the sunrise at Pori, the eastern part of the island, a truly breathtaking moment. Pori is also home to Kalofeggo, one of the island’s finest bars and restaurants.
Food in Koufonisia
Despite the small size of the island, Koufonisia has many taverns and restaurants where you can taste Mediterranean recipes made with local ingredients! When in Koufonisia you should taste:
- Fresh fish
- Seafood pasta (especially lobster, shrimp or crayfish based)
- Wild goat from Keros (usually cooked in the oven)
- Patatato (meat and potato stew)
Day trips from Koufonisia
The top activity in Koufonisia is, of course, spending time at the beach, swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying the sea view. If you want an alternative to the beach time there is a variety of day trips you could do around the island:
- Day trip to Kato Koufonisi: This is a great option if you wish to explore secluded beaches, hike and eat the delicious traditional food at the only tavern of the island, “Venetsanos”. Often people free camp at “Lakki” beach or at the “Nero” beach so if you are a bit more adventurous feel free to bring your sleeping bag or your tent to spend a night under the starry sky!
- Boat trip to Keros: In a short distance from Koufonisia you can find the small island of Keros, an uninhabited island and an important archaeological site with findings from the Early Cycladic period 3200-2000 BC. The boats that take you to Keros depart from the port of Ano Koufonisi.
- Visit the Small Cyclades: Island hopping around Pano Koufonisi is an excellent option and you could easily organize a day trip to Schoinoussa or Irakleia that are less than 1 hour away.
Useful tips for your trip to Koufonisia
Ano Koufonisi has all the amenities you will need for your stay in Koufonissia while Kato Koufonissi is more secluded and suitable for a day trip. Near the port of Ano Koufonisi, you can find services like supermarkets, pharmacy, and ATM. Some useful phone numbers in Koufonissia are:
- Koufonisia Health Clinic:+30 2285071370
- Municipal Community Koufonisia: +30 2285071379
- Koufonisia Police: +30 2285071375
- Koufonisia Citizen Services: +30 2285029243
- Port Authority Naxos: +30 2285022300
- Port Authority Amorgos: +30 2285071259
- Petrol Station Koufonisia: +30 2285071457
Where to book ferry tickets to Koufonisia
On Ferryhopper you can find the best itinerary to explore Small Cyclades and enjoy the gorgeous Koufonisia islands. Check our search engine for all available ferry schedules to Koufonisia and book your ferry tickets at the best prices in just 4 clicks!