Traveling from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Koufonisia by ferry
During the low season, only three days at the week you can find ferries departing from Athens (Port of Piraeus) to Koufonisia, usually the days which these departures are available are on Tuesdays, Fridays or Sundays. When it concerns about the high season, at Thursdays and Tuesdays you can find three options of ferry, and in the other days of the week, is usually two available ferries at different time schedules and prices. The trip usually takes from 5.40-8.25 hours. At the low season basically, the departure time is always 17:30 and it turns to be an overnight trip. At the high season, the departures times could be 06:45, 07:00 or 16:30. An average ticket price goes from € 20.00-€ 60.00, but as this is usually a long trip, you should consider the option of booking Bed Cabins. You must pay attention that the ferries from SeaJets for this route don’t have cabins. The departures at Athens are usually made by the Port of Pireaus, but the ferries from Fast Ferries usually depart from the Port of Rafina at Athens.
Ferry schedules from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Koufonisia*
From which port am I departing?
Both ports of Athens (Port Piraeus and Port Rafina) attend for this journey from Athens to Koufonisia. For this trip at low season, there are no ferries leaving from the Port of Rafina in Athens, only from the Port of Piraeus. At high season, by the other hand, you can find the ferries from Fast Ferries departing from the Port of Rafina for this journey.
What is the distance between Athens to Koufonisia and how long lasts the ferry trips?
Athens is about 208 km from Koufonisia and usually the ferry trips last from 5.40 to 8.25 hours
Island-Hopping around Koufonisia
Island hopping is when you go between different islands by a series of shorter journeys in the place of doing a single journey straight to the destination. This way you can explore and enjoy many more different islands and what each one of them has to offer.
Koufonisia is well connected to Naxos, Amorgos and to Irakleia, Donousa and Schoinoussa (the last three are islands from the complex of the Small Cyclades) with regular and highspeed ferries (during high season). The ferry tickets from Koufonisia to the other islands of Small Cyclades or to Naxos and Amorgos are quite cheap and thus facilitate island hopping between these islands.
Tips for the ferry route from Athens to Koufonisia
- The port of Piraeus is usually very crowded during the whole summer season, and multiple ferries can arrive/depart at the same time. Make sure to be there on time and ask the port authorities personnel for information regarding your ferry.
- In such long journeys, it is advisable to travel with a cabin. In order to do so, you should book your tickets the earliest possible, as (3-4 months before the trip).
- Ferry rides can become a bit bumpy during summer. There is absolutely nothing to be worry about, rather than getting a bit seasick. If you do not feel well, you can always ask the ferry crew for some aspirins.
- If you are traveling on an open-deck ferry, don't miss your chance to enjoy the scenery.
- If you are visiting Koufonisia you do not want to spend a fortune on accommodations, you should definitely book a place to stay as early as possible; at least 4-5 months in advance.
- In our pages, you can find useful travel information about Koufonisia.
- Island hopping around Koufonisia, in Small Cyclades (as they are called) is the best! Check our Ferry Map to discover all nearby islands.