Ios is a beautiful island, famous amongst young travelers for its vivid lifestyle as well as amongst lovers of the Cyclades for its impressive landscapes. On this page, you can find information about how to get to Ios, ferry connections and island hopping options, the best island beaches and what to do there. Book your ferry tickets to Ios on Ferryhopper at the best prices!
How to get to Ios
The easiest way to get to Ios is by ferry from the ports of Athens, Piraeus, or Rafina, as the island has no airport. The distance between Athens and Ios is around 150km (80 nautical miles) so the ferry trip can be from 4 to 6,5 hours depending on the ferry type and the port of departure.
Ferry schedules and ferry tickets to Ios
Ios is located in the south of the Aegean sea, next to Sikinos and Iraklia and north of Santorini. There are many ferries connecting Ios with the ports of Athens as well as the nearby islands of the Cyclades.
- The ferry connection Piraeus- Ios runs both in winter and summer months and the duration of the journey depends on the ferry type and the route stops, so it could be from 4 to 9 hours.
- The ferry connection from the port of Rafina to Ios usually operates only in high season (May-September) and it can be a faster option, with the ferry trip lasting from 4 to 6 hours.
- You can also travel from Rafina to Ios with an indirect route throughout the year, via the ports of Mykonos, Naxos or Santorini.
- The ferries that travel from Athens to Ios are both conventional and high-speed vessels which means that there are options for vehicle transfer, VIP tickets, bed cabins, or e-ticket. You can find ad compare all the ferry ticket types on the Ferryhopper search engine.
Ios' location, beauty, and lifestyle make the island a very popular summer destination so we recommend you search and book your ferry tickets as far in advance as possible. On Ferryhopper you can search all the available itineraries, book your ferry tickets and start planning your holidays in the Greek islands.
Island hopping around Ios
Ios is in a key location in the Cyclades and for that reason, it is an excellent option for island-hopping! During the summer, in particular, Ios is well connected with the nearby Cycladic islands: in less than 1hour you can travel to Santorini, Naxos or Sikinos, in 1,5-2 hours you can travel to Paros, Mykonos, Folegandros, while there are also frequent ferry routes to Milos, Amorgos, Sifnos, or the port of Heraklion in Crete.
On the Ferryhopper Map of Ferries, you can find all ferry connections from/to Ios, to plan the best island hopping experience in the Greek islands!
What to do in Ios
If you like the combination of beautiful beaches, impressive sunsets, and vivid nightlife then Ios is definitely your ideal holiday destination! Beaches and nightlife are two of Ios’ strongest points that have contributed to the island’s popularity over the years, particularly amongst young people.
The areas of Gialos (the port), Mylopotas and Chora have a great selection of restaurants, bars as well as night clubs that usually stay open until the morning hours. Throughout the summer the island hosts parties, DJ sets, and big events so that in Ios the party never stops! Ios has a charming character that combines the party atmosphere with crystal clear waters, beautiful views of the Aegean, and a diverse option of activities to do across the island. No wonder that many visitors make Ios a holiday tradition and return to the island every year!
The summer months (especially July and August) are actually the busiest time in Ios with many local and international tourists visiting the island for their summer holidays so we recommend that you book your accommodation and ferry tickets in advance.
Beaches in Ios
Ios has many beautiful beaches, few of them also awarded the iconic Blue Flag eco-label for their quality (Mylopotas, Ormos, and Magganari). The beaches of Ios give a wide range of options, from sandy long beaches to hidden bays only accessible by boat or hiking paths. Below you can find a list with few of the best beaches in Ios:
- Tris Ekklisies
Activities in Ios
The island of Ios offers a wide range of outdoor activities that are for all ages and can satisfy different tastes.
Sightseeing in Ios
When you visit Ios it is hard not to follow the party rhythm that defines it, however, the island is also full of beautiful spots and sites to explore.
- The Windmills above Chora, indicative of the traditional Cycladic architecture
- Panagia Chremiotissa, a church on the top of Chora which is the island’s landmark - one of the first things one sees when entering the port of Ios
- The remains of the Venetian Castle in the area of Paleokastro, with a breathtaking view to Naxos, Amorgos, and Donousa.
- The archaeological site of Skarkos, an ancient organized settlement of as early as c. 2600 BC.
- The archaeological museum of Ios, in the center of Chora
- Odysseas Elytis Theatre, an ancient Greek style theatre built in 1997 with a breathtaking view of the Aegean sea. Over the summer, you might get lucky and see a music or theatre performance there!
Tips and useful information for Ios
Ios has a good tourist infrastructure so you can find everything you need for a comfortable holiday. Most of the island's ATMs can be found in the port and in Chora of Ios, as well as banks, supermarkets and gas stations. Across the island, you will find mini markets, as well as cafeterias and taverns. Here are some useful phone numbers for Ios:
- Ios Port Authority: +30 2286091264
- Ios Health Center: +30 2286091227 / 2286360000
- Ios Police: +30 2286091222
- Ios Pharmacy: +30 2286091562
- Ios Bus Services: +30 2286092015
- Ios Municipality: +30 2286360400
Where to book ferry tickets to Ios?
Traveling by ferry to the famous island of Ios is now easier with Ferryhopper! On our search engine, you can find and compare all ferry schedules to Ios and book your ferry tickets at the best prices! Make sure that you also have a look at our Map of Ferries and plan your island-hopping from Ios to discover the unique beauty of as many Greek islands as you can!