Methana is located in the northeastern Peloponnese, 160 km from Athens. The peninsula of Methana is known for its thermal baths, beautiful beaches and archeological sights. On this page, you will find useful information about holidays in Methana, beaches and sights, as well as ferry schedules. Check all routes for the destinations in the Saronic Gulf on our ferry ticket booking engine.
The picturesque port of Methana
Vacation in Methana
Methana is often thought to be an island in the Saronic Gulf, but it's actually a peninsula in the Peloponnese overlooking the Gulf.
Methana is a destination of great natural beauty, rich in archeological monuments and sights.
The peninsula has a volcano that forms part of the group of active Cycladic volcanoes of Milos, Santorini and Nisyros.
It's an ideal destination for relaxing, low-budget holidays close to Athens.
How to get to Methana
You can reach Methana by ferry from the port of Piraeus, or by car from mainland Greece.
The ferry to Methana takes about 2 hours. The ride from Athens to Methana is approximately 2.5 hours.
What to do in Methana
One of the reasons to visit Methana is its thermal springs.
Due to the volcanic activity of the area, Methana has one of the oldest, and most famous, hot springs in Greece.
Methana is a destination were you will enjoy the sea and relax in a beautiful setting.
The sea close to the hot springs of Methana, perfect for relaxation
Beaches in Methana
Along the coastline of the Methana peninsula you will find beautiful beaches with crystal clear blue waters.
Some of the our favorite beaches in Methana are:
- Agioi Anargyroi: Large beach with sand, fine pebbles and clear blue waters.It has umbrellas, sunbeds and water sports facilities.
- Akti Karastamati: Quiet and small beach near the thermal springs, suitable for relaxing moments by the sea. The beach is sandy and surrounded by dense vegetation.
- Limnionas: The largest and most popular beach in the area. It has an impressive charming natural landscape and turquoise waters, perfect for diving and snorkeling. It also has umbrellas and a beach bar.
- Foflaka: Secluded beach with large dark pebbles and crystal clear waters. It has no facilities, so make sure you have the essentials with you.
- Agios Georgios: Located near the village of Agios Georgios, it's one of the best beaches for families with children, as it's sandy with shallow waters and restaurants close-by.
- Agios Nikolaos: The beach is known for its impressive volcanic stones and it's an ideal choice if you want to avoid the crowds.
- Moucha: Small beach with pebbles, crystal clear waters and dense vegetation. It has no facilities and it's perfect for quiet time by the sea.
- Vathi: Another quiet beach in Methana, located near a residential area and the coastal road.
- Paleokastro: Secluded beach with no facilities on the side of Epidaurus Gulf. It is surrounded by trees and it has crystal waters and pebbles.
Sightseeing in Methana
The area of Trizinia, to which Methana belongs, is full of archeological sights that are worth visiting during your vacation.
In just 1 hour drive from Methana you can reach the famous ancient theater of Epidaurus: an impressive theater that stages performances until today.
Some of the most impressive monuments and attractions in Methana and the surrounding area are:
- The Archaeological site of the Asclepieion of Epidaurus
- The Acropolis of Ancient Methana
- The Archaeological site of Mycenae
- The ancient port of Methana
- The volcano in Kameni Chora
- The waterfalls at Diavologefiro (Devil's bridge)
The volcanic landscapes of Methana in combination with the lush vegetation make it a great destination for hiking.
The impressive ancient theatre of Epidaurus, close to Methana
Nightlife in Methana
Methana is an island that promises relaxing days and nights close to nature. There are several all-day cafe bars in the port, and the coastal villages of Vathy and Agios Nikolaos where you can enjoy your drink with a lovely view of the Gulf.
Food in Methana
In Methana the food is great and value for money.
We recommend eating in some of the area's fish taverns and trying the local seafood recipes as well as fresh fish.
Villages in Methana
The port of Methana is also the main town in the peninsula, located on the southeast coast. The area has some beautiful villages, most of them on the coast.
We recommend visiting the following villages in Methana:
- Agios Nikolaos
- Agioi Theodoroi
- Kameni Chora
Useful information for Methana
The center of Methana is its port, where you can find all the basic facilities for your stay, such as gas station, ATM, supermarket, restaurants, pharmacies and a medical clinic.
In terms of accommodation in Methana, you can find rooms and hotels mostly in the port, in the village of Megalochori or Agios Georgios.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Methana
Here are some useful phone numbers for your stay in Methana:
- Methana Port Authority: +302298092279
- Methana Police: +302298092370
- Methana Medical Clinic:+302298092222
- Citizen Services of Methana: +302298093131
- Taxi services Methana: +302298092497
Transportation in Methana
The easiest way to move around Methana is by your own vehicle so we recommend transferring your car or moto by ferry or driving directly there.
There are regional buses of KTEL Argolidas operating daily routes from Galatas, Epidaurus, Nafplio, or Argos.
Ports in Methana
Methana has one main port and a few smaller harbors across its coast.
The port of Methana that serves ferries from Athens and other islands in the Saronic Gulf is located on the southeast side of the peninsula.
The marina in the port of Methana, with the island of Poros in the background
Island hopping from Methana
Methana is one of the shortest ways to travel to the islands of the Saronic Gulf from mainland Greece.
In less than 30 minutes you can be by ferry in Poros, and from there you can visit Hydra.
The trip from Methana to Aegina is about 45 minutes and from there you can catch a ferry to Agistri.
Methana ferry: Schedules and tickets
There are regular ferry crossings from Athens to Methana, usually with a stopover in Aegina.
The duration of the Piraeus-Methana ferry trip is approximately 2 hours. Ferries to Methana also have a garage that carry vehicles.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Methana
On Ferryhopper you can book cheap ferry tickets to Methana with just 4 clicks! Find schedules, ferry ticket prices and plan your ideal holidays in the Saronic Gulf!