Leipsoi is a beautiful destination in the south-eastern Aegean Sea. The small island’s amazing beaches and laid-back lifestyle are ideal for relaxation. Here you can find every detail about ferry routes, the exceptional beaches of Leipsoi, the top restaurants, as well as the hidden trails on the island of goddess Calypso. Book ferry tickets on Ferryhopper and enjoy your holidays in Leipsoi!
Afternoon stroll along the beautiful port of Leipsoi.
Vacation in Leipsoi
The island of Leipsoi, where goddess Calypso lived, was known as Ogygia in Ancient Greek mythology. It is located north of Leros and south of Patmos and it promises dreamy holidays. The locals are welcoming, and the island radiates peace and quiet. You can find azure waters, quaint alleys and delicious food. Leipsoi is a hidden gem of the Aegean Sea that will charm you with its enchanting smells, warm sun and smiling locals!
Beaches in Leipsoi
The island’s beaches are magical and offer crystal-clear waters. Most of them have shallow waters, but not much natural shade or umbrellas. So, make sure you come prepared!
Best sandy beaches in Leipsoi:
- Katsadia: Popular wind-protected beach with turquoise waters, a small taverna and tall trees that offer shade.
- Kampos: Beautiful long beach with many tamarisk trees and crystal-clear waters.
- Tourkomnima: Small, secluded cove with a few trees and perfect waters.
- Platis Gialos: One of the most popular beaches in Leipsoi, offering wind protection, turquoise waters, tamarisk trees and a taverna.
- Lientou: Popular beach with tamarisk trees and clear aquamarine waters.
Best pebble beaches in Leipsoi:
- Hohlakoura: Dreamy beach with turquoise waters and white pebbles. There’s no natural shade.
- Xirokampos: Quiet crystal-clear waters without shade.
- Papantria: Beautiful bay with heavenly waters and amazing view to the islet of Lyra.
- Monodendri: Awe-inspiring landscape with turquoise waters, white pebbles and a single tree sitting on an imposing rock. Access is tricky, but the tranquil ambiance is worth it.
The sunny beach of Katsadia with impressive aquamarine waters.
Activities and sightseeing in Leipsoi
Despite its small size, the island of Leipsoi boasts several cultural and historical attractions that are telling of its rich past. If you wish to take a break from the beach, the island offers interesting activities as well. Have a look at Ferryhopper’s suggestions below:
- Visit the island’s villages: In Leipsoi there are only few cars and most of the action takes place in the Town of Leipsoi (Chora) and the port. Although there are no permanent residents in the rest of the island’s villages, they are truly beautiful and are worth a visit during the summer. We suggest seeing Kouselio, Katsadia and Platis Gialos.
- Wander around Chora: The picturesque Chora of Leipsoi is perfect for wandering, as well as staying during your vacation. The traditional blue and white houses are built amphitheatrically along the natural bay and will surely charm you.
- Visit the Ecclesiastical-Folklore Museum in Chora: The museum’s exhibits take you on a trip through the island’s amazing history!
- Attend a local festival: The island is home to many festivals and celebrations, where you can make memories to last a lifetime. Ferryhopper suggests attending the Wine Festival, a magical celebration full of music, dance and delicious wines!
- Visit the “Kastro” archaeological site: Just a few minutes from the main town, you can see the ruins of an ancient settlement.
- Go island-hopping: Hop on a small boat at the port of Leipsoi to explore the neighboring islands and islets. Get ready for exotic landscapes and untouched beaches!
What to eat in Leipsoi
Get ready for an amazing gastronomical experience! The traditional dishes and fresh local produce are simply memorable. There are many delicacies to choose from, but make sure you treat yourself to the delicious pitaroudia fritters, flavorful fava patties, rice-stuffed calamari, and a couple of glasses of ouzo by the sea. If you’re after traditional dishes with seafood, fish, or meat, as well as fresh salads, we recommend eating at “Giannis” or “Nikos and Loulis”. If you’re in the mood for fine dining, “Pefko” restaurant by the port offers elegant dishes and luscious wines inspired by Italian cuisine.
For those of you who can’t say no to a sweet treat, our all-time island favourite is xirotigano, a delicious fried dough with honey, cinnamon and walnuts. If you’re looking for a rich breakfast with fresh fruit, creamy Greek yoghurt, juicy omelettes, and delicious desserts, you can visit the colourful “Café du Moulin”.
Tip: As for nightlife on the Greek island, you can visit Katsadia Beach and head to Dilaila, an all-day bar-restaurant that serves food during the day and plays smooth reggae tunes at night.
Hiking in Leipsoi
As you explore the island’s hills among sea daffodils, olive trees, vineyards and fig trees, you’ll notice the air is permeated by the smell of oregano and thyme. Hiking along the island’s trails you’ll discover charming creeks, blooming meadows and small cedar forests that will take all your troubles away.
Tip: If you decide to go on a hiking adventure, always carry sunscreen, plenty of water and a hat, as natural shade is limited and the sun can get really hot.
Dreamy beach in Leipsoi.
Useful info and phone numbers for Leipsoi
The main town of Leipsoi offers several amenities for visitors: pharmacy, supermarket, gas station, Alpha Bank cash machine, regional medical center, bars, cafes, and restaurants. During the summer there’s a frequent bus service connecting the Chora of Leipsoi with the island’s beaches. You can find out more about the service by asking the locals. Here are some useful phone numbers for your vacation in Leipsoi:
- Leipsoi Municipality: +30 22470 41333
- Pharmacy: +30 22470 28981
- Medical Centre of Leipsoi: +30 22470 41204, +30 697819141
- Port Authority of Leipsoi: +30 22470 41133
- Police Station: +30 22470 41222
Ferry schedules and ferry tickets for Leipsoi
You can travel to Leipsoi from mainland Greece from the port of Piraeus. There is a frequent ferry service, particularly during the summer. The Piraeus-Leipsoi ferry crossing duration is 10-15 hours on average.
Find all available ferry routes from Piraeus to Leipsoi on Ferryhopper and book ferry tickets in no time!
Ferry routes from Leipsoi
The island of Leipsoi is perfect for island hopping in the Aegean Sea, as you can travel by ferry to several islands in the Dodecanese and the North Aegean. You can take a direct ferry from Leipsoi to the following ports:
Feeling overwhelmed by all those ferry connections? No worries! Ferryhopper’s Map of ferries allows you to view all available ferry routes to easily plan your trip to the Greek islands!
Where to book ferry tickets to Leipsoi
On Ferryhopper you can book ferry tickets to Leipsoi in just 4 clicks! Find all ferry routes online, compare ferry operators, ticket fares, discounts, and offers and book your tickets to Leipsoi with no extra fees.