The small island of Psara is located in the Northeast Aegean, just across Chios. It is famous for its rich history and is an ideal destination for day trips and relaxing holidays. Here, you will find all the information about the island, its beaches, activities and the ferry itineraries. Book cheap ferry tickets for Psara on Ferryhopper!
Vacation in Psara
Psara is located west of Chios and is a historic island with wild beauty, wonderful beaches and delicious food. The calm atmosphere of Psara is ideal for quiet vacations away from the stress of the daily routine. Families, couples and travelers who seek seclusion choose to spend a few days in Psara, to relax by the sea, taste good food and discharge.
The church of Agios Nikolaos in Psara
How to get to Psara
Psara is connected by ferry to mainland Greece via the port of Piraeus. There are frequent crossings to the island all year long and the journey lasts around 7 hours.
You can find more info on the Piraeus - Psara ferry trip and other ways of reaching the island in the section below.
What to do in Psara
The capital of Psara is the settlement of the same name, which is built amphitheatrically around the port. The center of Chora is the main square, while among the low white houses is the old residence of Konstantinos Kanaris. Near Chora, on the peninsula of Paleokastro, you can see the Holocaust Memorial on the famous Mavri Rachi. In general, Psara is full of impressive historic and natural sights, as well as beautiful beaches that complement your experience there.
Beaches in Psara
Although small, Psara has over 40 beaches with sand or pebbles and magnificent crystal clear waters. The most famous ones are located in the west part of the island, while there are more wild and secluded ones on the east coastline. Ferryhopper suggests the following beaches in Psara:
- Katsouni: One of the most popular beaches in Prasa. It has shallow clear waters and golden sand and is ideal for families with children.
- Lakka: This is a large beach near Chora, with crystal waters. It is easily accessible by car or on foot.
- Kato Gialos: A quiet beach that many choose for seclusion. It is located on the north coast of Psara, on the path to Mavri Rachi.
- Lazareta: Stunning beach, which is considered the best on the island. It has cool blue waters, fine sand and is located only 2km from Chora.
- Fanari: It is near the church of Agios Georgios and is the southernmost beach of the island. The scenery there is amazing, the sea is deep blue and there are impressive black rocks nearby. The beach is accessible by a relatively easy dirt road.
- Archontiki: Cute beach on the west coast of Psara. It has a combination of fine sand and small pebbles and is accessible by car or on foot.
- Ftelio: Right next to Archontiki there is the Ftelio beach. The deep crystal waters and the impressive seabed are ideal for snorkeling and exploring.
- Lemnos: It is near Chora and is one of the largest beaches of Psara. It is sandy and is easily accessible by car.
- Spitalia: A good choice for a quick swim as it is less than 1km from Chora. Afterwards, you can try local dishes in the Spitalia taverna nearby.
- Psara: The beach of Chora which is near the port. Don’t worry though, the waters are perfectly clear.
Sightseeing and activities in Psara
The island of Psara has many sights and options for outdoor activities. Some suggestions on what to do in Psara are:
- The island is full of Byzantine churches. You certainly need to visit the Church of the Dormition (Moni Kimiseos Theotokou) in the north of Psara and the imposing Church of Agios Nikolaos on the hill near Chora.
- Stroll around Mavri Rachi in order to visit the Holocaust Memorial of Psara, but also to enjoy the breathtaking view and sunset!
- Psara has many points of cultural and historic interest, such as the Spitalia building, the Minoan tombs, Konaki and the Kanari residence.
- You should definitely plan a day trip to Antipsara and swim in the sea of the gorgeous Psili Ammos beach.
- For hikers, Psara has amazing hiking paths, especially on the north side. We recommend that you go to Ksirokampos, the Church of the Dormition and Agios Isidoros.
- Don’t miss the festivals and the cultural events that take place on the island all summer long!
Spitalia, one of the historic buildings of Psara
Food in Psara
While in Psara, you will have the opportunity to try tasty traditional recipes and local products. Ferryhopper suggests:
- Pasta with lobster
- Stuffed lamb
- Traditional pasta
- Risotto with cuttlefish
- Cheese pie
- Local honey
- Local cheeses
- Spoon sweets
Useful information for Psara
Psara has the basic services and amenities for the visitors such as supermarkets, ATM, bakeries and gas stations. The regional medical clinic is in Chora, where you can also buy medicines since there are no pharmacies on the island. We recommend that you bring along some necessities as there may be shortages. In terms of accommodation, Psara has some rooms for rent and hotels in Chora. However, their number is limited so we suggest that you book your accommodation well in advance.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Psara
Some useful phone numbers for the holidays in Psara are:
- Regional Clinic of Psara: +302274061277
- Psara Police: +302274061222
- Psara Port Authority: +302274061336
- Psara citizen service center (KEP): +302274350116
Transportation in Psara
There is no local bus in Psara and the transportation is mainly on foot or by some vehicle. If you plan to stay in the south of Psara, you will not have a problem with getting around, as the distances are short. But if you want to explore other parts of the island, you will have to bring your own vehicle.
Port of Psara
The port of Psra is located in Chora and has amenities for visitors nearby. You can find cafes, stores and taverns there.
Seafood dish with prawns and capers
Psara ferry: schedules and tickets
Athens is connected to Psara with regular ferries through the port of Piraeus. The ferry connection Piraeus - Psara is served twice a week and the duration of the trip is close to 7 hours.
Tip: Most ferries that operate the Piraeus - Psara route have cabins and garages to transport your vehicle.
Island hopping from Psara
From Psara, you can very easily go to the neighboring islands of the Northeast Aegean, and specifically to Chios, Oinousses and Lesvos. The route to Chios lasts about 4 hours, to Oinousses 2 hours and to Lesvos 6 hours 15 minutes.
On our interactive Map of ferries, you can check all the ferry connections to and from Psara, to organize your island hopping in the North Aegean easily and quickly!
Where to book ferry tickets online to Psara
Can’t wait to visit the historic island of Psara, to find out its beauties and enjoy the marvelous beaches? On Ferryhopper you will find all information on the ferry routes to the island, along with their respective timetables. Compare prices and book ferry tickets online at the best prices.