Which Greek Island is the best for you?
Find useful tips and facts!
Greek islands are amazing and that is a fact! Whether you're going island-hopping as a backpacker, traveling as an adventurous solo traveler, having your honeymoon, or traveling with family, find Ferryhopper's useful tips on choosing the Greek island that suit you best! So, what is your type?
- Which Greek island is the best for partying?
- Which Greek island is the best for families?
- Which Greek islands are the best for beaches?
- Which Greek island is the best for a honeymoon?
- Which Greek island is the best for first-timers?
- Which Greek islands are the best for island-hopping?
- Which Greek islands do locals go to?
Which Greek island is the best for me?
So, let's help you decide which island or islands you want to visit! There are 6,000 islands in Greece (!), 227 of which are inhabited. Mykonos, Santorini and Crete are three of the most popular islands in Greece, but there are so many more...224 to be exact!
If you are coming to Greece for many days, the perfect solution would be to go island hopping. This way you would have the opportunity to visit many islands of different lifestyles and traditions.
If you want to visit only one island you should probably give more thought to it and find which Greek island is the best for you! However, you don't have to worry because Ferryhopper is here to guide you through them all.
Going yachting to explore the hidden caves of the Aegean Sea
Which Greek island is the best for partying?
These are the Greek islands you should visit for their nightlife:
- Mykonos: partying never ends in Mykonos! Famous DJs and singers perform almost every night on the island.
- Ios: the lesser-known island of the Cyclades, Ios, is very close to Mykonos, Naxos, and Paros. Ios is an island, where students and young people go to parties every day.
- Skiathos: the famous Island of Mama Mia! belongs to the Sporades island group and attracts people from all over the world for its beautiful sceneries and unforgettable nightlife.
- Zakynthos: this island of the Ionian Sea is very famous for the endangered sea turtle Caretta Caretta, as well as for its amazing nightlife. Zakynthos offers many nightlife options, such as elegant bars, huge clubs, and live performances.
Which Greek island is the best for families?
These are the Greek islands you should visit when traveling with family:
- Naxos: it is one of the most beautiful islands of the Cyclades located in the middle of the Aegean Sea. Naxos has great sandy beaches and a lot of places for parents to relax and kids to play as much as they want. It also has many beautiful villages (especially in the northern part of the island) ideal for family excursions.
- Rhodes: this is one of the biggest islands in Greece located approximately 200 nautical miles from the Greek mainland. Rhodes has a beautiful town, great for walks and riding bicycles. There are many activities you can do with your family, such as paying a visit to the aquarium or taking a walk at the old fortress. Most of the beaches are sandy and quite shallow.
Which Greek islands are the best for beaches?
Here are 5 beautiful beaches in the Greek islands:
- Ikaria: Seychelles beach
- Kefalonia: Myrtos beach
- Corfu: Porto Timoni beach
- Ithaca: Gidaki beach
- Crete: Elafonissi beach
Tip: explore more amazing beaches in the Greek islands!
Which Greek island is the best for honeymoon?
These are the Greek islands you should visit if you are newly married:
- Santorini: it is probably the most romantic Greek island. Santorini is a dream come true for many couples, who travel there to admire the wonderful sunset at the caldera.
- Amorgos: the island where the movie Le Grande Bleu was shot is ideal for young couples who want to explore and have fun away from the crowds.
- Paxi: it is one of the most beautiful Greek islands! The sea is turquoise, the sun is shining bright and there are plenty of options for excursions and island-hopping trips to Antipaxos, Corfu, Parga or Syvota.
- Astypalea: Astypalea is the "butterfly" of the Aegean Sea! It is the ideal island for newly married couples; the scenery is totally romantic, the island does not get very crowded and walking at the beautiful Chora village is an unforgettable experience!
Which Greek island is the best for first-timers?
The best islands to visit for your first time in Greece are Mykonos, Santorini, and Hydra. Mykonos for its iconic windmills and world-famous party life, Santorini for its instagrammable caldera, and the car-free and care-free island of Hydra.
Which Greek islands are the best for island-hopping?
Naxos and Syros are the best islands in Greece for island-hopping. Naxos has ferry connections to Paros, Amorgos or the Small Cyclades islands while Syros is surrounded by popular Greek islands such as Mykonos, Santorini, Tinos and Rhodes.
Which Greek islands do locals go to?
If you want to live like a local and experience the Greek way, then you should definitely check the list of the locals' favorite Greek islands to spend their holidays:
Where to find more tips for the Greek Islands?
At Ferryhopper, we are experts when it comes to ferries in Greece! We also love sharing tips about our favorite Greek islands, based on our awesome experiences in the Greek seas. If you want even more tips and useful info about the Greek islands, you can explore our blog.
Where to find ferry itineraries for the Greek islands?
You can find all 2023 ferry itineraries and connections between the Greek ports on Ferryhopper's Map of ferries.
Tip: also, make sure you check the latest Covid-19 ferry measures for Greece when planning your visit.
Book ferry tickets for the Greek Islands
Have you decided yet? Book your ferry tickets to the Greek Islands on Ferryhopper, download the Ferryhopper App to track your ferry any time in real time and weigh anchor to the land of Hercules!