Ithaca is a small island in the Ionian Sea, right next to Kefalonia. It is a paradise island, with beautiful beaches, impressive archaeological sites and picturesque villages. If you want to learn information about Ithaca and its ferry connections, you should check the Ferryhopper pages and organize your ideal summer vacations.
How to get to Ithaca?
The ferry connection of Ithaca with mainland Greece is served through the port of Patra, while its ferry connection with the rest of the Ionian islands is through Kefalonia. The main port of Ithaca is Pisaetos and is 12 km (7 minutes by car) from Vathi, the capital of Ithaca.
Ferry connections of Ithaca
- Patra - Ithaca: There are daily crossings from the port of Patra to Pisaetos in Ithaca and the ferry ride lasts approximately 4 hrs.
- Kefalonia - Ithaca: You can take a ferry from the port of Sami in Kefalonia to Pisaetos. This ferry route is usually operated twice a day and the duration of the ferry trip is just 20 min.
Tip: If you want to explore every corner of Ithaca, you should consider bringing your car, as both ferry routes have the option of vehicle transportation in the ferries’ garage.
What to do in Ithaca
In Ithaca, you will definitely meet beautiful beaches with deep cool waters. History lovers can visit many impressive sites of cultural interests, while hikers can follow paths through the lush vegetation to reach the traditional settlements and amazing landscapes.
Beaches in Ithaca
Most of the beaches of Ithaca are not organized, so you need to bring all the necessary beach equipment. Many of them are easily accessible by car or on foot, others are only approachable by sea, but all of them have crystal, turquoise waters! Ferryhopper suggests you take a dive in the waters of:
- Aspros Gialos
Sightseeing in Ithaca
Ithaca is an island with a rich history from ancient times until today. On the island, you will find numerous sites of archaeological interest and museums, as well as landscapes of rare natural beauty which can be easily explored by the various hiking paths. Here is shortlist for your sightseeing:
- Archaeological Museum of Vathi
- Maritime Folklore Museum of Ithaca
- Archaeological Collection of Stavros
- Ancient City of Ithaca - Alalkomenes
- Early Helladic Settlement of Pilikates
- Loizou Cave
- Agios Athanasios Archaeological Site - Homer School
- Anagogi monoliths
Settlements of Ithaca
The architecture of Ithaca's settlements is greatly influenced by the many cultures that have passed through the island in history. The largest settlement and capital of the island is Vathi. The coastal settlements of Ithaca are ideal for sailors, while the mountain villages will give you unique pictures of the island! Some of the settlements of Ithaca are:
- Agios Ioannis
Food in Ithaca
Ithaca produces top-quality local products such as honey, herbs, meat, and cheese. During your vacations in Ithaca. You should taste:
- Tserepato Chicken
Useful information for your holiday in Ithaca
Ithaca is a relatively small island but with many facilities. The island has a Health Center, supermarket, banks and ATMs in Vathi, the capital of the island while the Regional Medical Center is located in Stavros. Some useful telephone numbers for Ithaca:
- Port Authority of Patras: 26136 15400
- Port Authority of Ithaca: 26740 32909
- Port Authority of Kefalonia (Sami): 26740 22031
- Ithaca Health Center (Vathi): 26743 60100
- Regional Medical Center (Stavros): 26740 23959
- Police: 26740 33359
- Municipality of Ithaca: 26740 33481
Where to book ferry tickets to Ithaca?
Book your ferry tickets online using Ferryhopper! Go to our search engine, find all ferry routes to Ithaca, compare prices and start your summer vacation in just a few clicks