Traveling from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Kos by ferry
The ferry trip from Athens to Kos lasts approximately 9 hr to 14 hr and ticket prices start at €41. Find the latest information about the route Piraeus - Kos in our ferry guide.
Ferry schedules from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Kos*
Is there a ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
There is normally at least 1 daily crossing available from Piraeus to Kos all year round. The main company that operates on this ferry route is Blue Star Ferries.
Please note that ferry schedules are subject to change. Find the latest information and check real-time data for ferries from Athens to Kos on Ferryhopper.
How long is the ferry ride from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
The ferry duration from Athens to Kos ranges from 9 hr to 14 hr. Travel time depends on the ferry and itinerary.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
The route from Athens to Kos is not served by high-speed ferries. The fastest ferry to Kos takes about 9 hr to reach the island.
How much is the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
Ferry prices from Athens to Kos range from approximately €40 to €117. The ticket cost can be lower or higher depending on discounts, offers and seat or cabin type.
What's the ferry schedule from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
There is normally at least 1 daily ferry crossing from Piraeus to Kos throughout the year. Frequency increases during the summer, with 2 ferries departing on certain days.
The earliest ferry from Athens to Kos departs at around 13.00 and arrives at 00:30. The latest departure is usually at midnight, with the ferry arriving at about 11:30 in the morning.
Bear in mind that the Piraeus - Kos ferry timetable is subject to change.
What's the distance between Athens and Kos?
The distance between the port of Piraeus in Athens and Kos is 187 nautical miles (approximately 346km).
Am I allowed to travel from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
For the latest information on COVID-19 and ferry travel in Greece, please visit our FAQ page.
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos?
You can easily book cheap ferry tickets from Athens to Kos on Ferryhopper with no extra costs. See all available ferry routes on our Map of ferries, compare ferry schedules, companies and prices, and book Athens to Kos ferry tickets online with just a few clicks.
The crystal blue waters of Limnionas beach on the northwest coast of Kos
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos
Here are some travel tips for your trip from Piraeus to Kos:
- The trip from Athens to Kos lasts several hours, with ferries sometimes traveling at night. We, therefore, recommend that you book a cabin for a more comfortable journey. Bear in mind that cabins may sell out fast, especially during Easter holidays and high-season, so ensure that you book well in advance.
- If you are traveling from Piraeus to Kos with your vehicle, we recommend arriving at the port at least 1.5 hr before departure.
- Ferries serving the Piraeus - Kos route usually have a car deck. Ferry tickets cost about €110 for a car and approximately €30 for a motorbike.
- Piraeus is a big port with several departure gates. In order to help make your trip to Kos easier, we have prepared a guide with useful information about Piraeus as well as a map of the port.
- Kos has 3 ports: the main port of the island's capital - also called Kos - and two smaller ports in Mastichari and Kardamena. Ferries from Athens arrive at the port of the town of Kos.
- Check out our Kos travel guide for tips and useful information about your vacation on the island.
Where to take the ferry from Athens (Piraeus) to Kos
You can take the ferry to Kos from the port of Piraeus in Athens. The port of Piraeus is located approximately 15km south of the city center of Athens and 45km from Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos. You can get to Piraeus by car, taxi as well as public transport (bus, metro, suburban railway).
Ferries from Piraeus to Kos usually depart from gate E1. Departure gates may change, so we recommend checking your ticket and the electronic display boards located at the port for more information.
Ferry companies in Greece are usually quite flexible when it comes to baggage size and weight. While on board the ferry to Kos, you can keep your bags and suitcases next to you or store them in the designated luggage area. Bear in mind that there is no check-in procedure for luggage items.
Tip: each ferry company has its own baggage allowance policy. We recommend that you don’t carry more than 50kg of luggage to avoid delays due to restricted space in the luggage area.
All ferries that serve the Piraeus - Kos route have cabins as well as numbered seats. If you are traveling at night, we recommend booking a cabin for a more relaxed trip to Kos.