Traveling from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Hydra by ferry
Piraeus is connected to Hydra with frequent ferry itineraries during the whole year. The distance between the port of Athens and Hydra is approximately 37 nautical miles and the journey has an average duration of 1 hour and 30 minutes, which mainly depends on the ferry operator and the weather. An average ticket price of ferry from Piraeus to Hydra is € 30.
Ferry schedules from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Hydra*
How long is the ferry ride from Athens to Hydra?
The journey between Piraeus (Athens) and Hydra may last between 1h 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the ferry operator. Especially during high season there are ferry boats going back and forth on a regular, daily basis.
Athens to Hydra: Cost of the ferry
There are many opperators conecting Piraeus to Hydra daily. There is the possibility of booking a ticket at a catamaran ferry, which price will be higher. Generally ferry tickets from Athens to Hydra have an average price of 30 euros. There are also some reductions, but normally only for greek citizens. You can check the prices for different itineraries and vessils at Ferryhopper.com
Distance from Athens to Hydra
Hydra is one of the The distance between Piraeus (Athens) and Hydra is about 68 km or 37 nautical miles.
Tips for your trip from Athens to Hydra
- Most of the ferry boats serving the itinerary are high-speed dolphins, which do not support the transfer of a vehicle. This is not something to worry about, as in Hydra cars are not allowed! Thus you will have the opportunity to relax at an unpolluted island free of cars!
- The port of Piraeus is usually very crowded during the whole summer season, and multiple ferries can arrive/depart at the same time. Make sure to be there on time, and ask the port authorities personnel for information regarding your ferry.
- Hydra is a small island with no many available hotels or rooms to let. So, if you want to spend the night there be sure to book a place for the night as early as possible.
- Beaches in Hydra are full of pebbles and usually can be reached on foot, by donkey or with a water-taxi.
- Hydra is one of the most beautiful islands of the Saronic Gulf, along with Aegina, Agistri, Poros and Spetses.
- The island of Hydra is the best idea for a daytrip from Athens. It is very close to Athens and the ferry schedules are really dense (many ferries per day). Find more ideas about daytrips from Athens at our blog post.