Sifnos is a medium-sized island of the West Cyclades, close to Milos and Paros. It is well known for its tasty food, the picturesque villages and the beautiful beaches, as well as for summertime romance. Also, Sifnos is ideal for island hopping since its distance from other islands is short. In this article, Ferryhopper gives you all the necessary information about the island of Sifnos including its ferry connections.
How do I get to Sifnos?
Sifnos is well connected with ports of mainland Greece and many other islands of the Cyclades.
Ferry from Athens to Sifnos
You can take a ferry from the ports of Athens to reach the island of Sifnos, and namely from:
- Piraeus - Sifnos: There are many sailings throughout the week from Piraeus to Sifnos and the ferry trip lasts from 3 hrs to 5 hr 30 min.
- Lavrio - Sifnos: This connection operates in summer and the ferry journey is almost 8 hrs.
Island Hopping around Sifnos
Sifnos is also well connected to Serifos, Kythnos, Milos, Kimolos and Folegandros with regular and high-speed ferries (during high season). Especially during August, more than three boats are reaching Kamares -the main port of Sifnos- daily. Moreover, during the summer some ferries per week connect Sifnos to other Cycladic islands, such as Paros, Naxos, Koufonisia and Amorgos.
Tip: In every ferry route, there is the option of vehicle transporting to explore more of these beautiful islands.
In our interactive map of ferries, you can easily choose your preferred islands to include to the island hopping and plan the ideal holidays!
What to do in Sifnos?
Sifnos is a charming island with a great history and lots of options for activities. Inhabited by humans from ancient times the island offers to the visitor, breathtaking beaches, traditional villages, impressive monuments and tasty food.
Beaches in Sifnos
Sifnos has many beautiful beaches that are spread across the island coastline and offer different options for different tastes but above all, clear waters and magnificent views of the Aegean! Some of our favorite beaches are!
- Platis Gialos
Settlements of Sifnos
The capital or the Chora of Sifnos is Apollonia which is the most populated settlement of the island. However, there are other interesting places in Sifnos where you can enjoy yourself. Ferryhopper gives you some further details about where to go in Sifnos:
- Apollonia is the center of Sifnos’ nightlife! Every night, travelers go to Apollonia to visit “Steno”, the small alley with souvenir shops, art galleries, restaurants and bars until the early morning hours.
- Kastro was the ancient center and it is worth visiting for brunch, morning coffee or an afternoon aperitivo! You should walk around and explore the old city between the ruins of the fortress and enjoy the breathtaking view of the Aegean.
- Artemonas is ideal if you seek summer serenity combined with tasty traditional food.
Activities in Sifnos
Sifnos is a destination where you can find many options for activities like swimming and water sports. Αdditionaly, if you like walking, there is a rich hiking network of paths around the island. These paths can lead you to Kamares beach, Cheronissos beach or Chrysopigi church, where you can admire the sunset.
Sifnos has 360 churches and for this reason, there are many religious festivals (panigiria) throughout the summer, especially during August. Going to a Greek religious festival is always a good idea, if you want to meet people, listen to traditional music and dance to folklore tunes, as well as taste the best food and wine.
Useful information about Sifnos
Sifnos is a well-developed island where you can find all the necessary services for your holidays. Especially in Apollonia, there are supermarkets, ATMs, gas stations and a drug store. Also, there are bus services that provide the transition to the beaches or other settlements. Some useful telephone numbers for Sifnos are:
- Police of Sifnos: 22840 31210
- Port Authority of Sifnos: 22840 33617
- Peripheral hospital of Sifnos: 22840 31315
Where to book ferry tickets to Sifnos?
Check the Ferryhopper platform and book ferry tickets online in just 4 steps! On our updated search engine, you can compare all ferry ticket prices and itineraries to plan your trip to Sifnos!