Taking the ferry from Italy to Greece is one of the most popular ways to travel from one country to the other. The trip is preferred every year by passengers traveling from central and northern Europe to Italy by car and then crossing to Greece by ferry. In this article on Ferryhopper you can find the latest updates on ferry schedules between Italy and Greece for 2020, ferry operators, timetables, prices of ferry tickets and special offers.
There are 4 ports in Italy that serve the ferry connection to Greece:
From there you can take one of the many sailings that reach Igoumenitsa and Patras in western Greece.
There are 2 main Greek ports that serve the ferry route to Italy:
You should keep in mind that ferry routes from Italy to Greece are extremely popular and ferry tickets for these routes are usually sold out by mid Spring. To avoid disappointment make sure that you book your tickets well in advance!
Ferry routes schedule release for 2020
The ferry companies operating the ferry routes from Italy to Greece have announced their ferry schedules and itineraries for the year 2020, including information on special offers and discounts. Please keep in mind that most cabin and vehicle tickets are usually sold out by April, while the early booking offer usually runs till late February. You can find the latest information and book your tickets for all the 2020 ferry connections between Italy and Greece on Ferryhopper!
Ferry companies operating the Italy-Greece routes
The ferry companies operating the ferry routes between Italy and Greece are Minoan Lines, Grimaldi Lines, Superfast Ferries and ANEK Lines. All the vessels that serve the ferry connection can carry vehicles. They also have cabins, which are the best option for the longest routes, considering some of the sailings last well over 15 hrs!
Greece-Italy ferry with a Camper
Travelling by ferry between Italy and Greece is the perfect way to bring your caravan or motorhome with you. There are 2 offers and discounts on the ferry ticket prices that are especially designed for passengers traveling with a camper: the “Camping on Board” and the “All Inclusive Camping” offers. Exclusively for the Adriatic routes (Italy - Greece), your deck-and-camper or caravan ticket includes the following at no extra charge:
- Garage space for your motorhome or caravan
- Access to onboard showers, WCs, 220-volt power outlets and to all public areas onboard, such as bars, restaurants etc.
- Accommodation in your caravan or in an internal cabin, depending on the ferry company’s policy
- Discounts on meals and drinks served at the “à la carte” and self-service restaurants during the voyage
On Ferryhopper you can book ferry tickets online for the Greece-Italy route for you and your caravan! If you would like to take advantage of this special offer, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will help you find the ferry itinerary that suits you the best. Our team will be happy to combine different offers and find the lowest prices for you and your travelling companions! You can find more information in our blog post "Travelling from Europe and Italy to Greece by Car, Camper or Caravan."
Offers and discounts for the Greece-Italy ferry routes
There are many offers and discounts on the prices of ferry tickets for the ferry connection Italy-Greece. The main offers are:
- Early Booking Discount: This is a seasonal discount that runs from December till February/March. A 20-30% discount is usually applied to the overall ticket price. Please note that tickets issued with this discount can be neither canceled nor refunded. You can find more information about this discount here.
- International Student Discount: International Student Card (ISIC) holders are eligible for discounted tickets at the same rate as Greek university students (20% discount on economy seats etc.). If you would like to apply this discount, please select the related discount from the drop-down menu.
- Return Tickets Discount: When issuing a return ticket, a discount is provided by the ferry operator (usually 20% or 30% on the return ticket) and it is automatically applied from Ferryhopper's ferry booking system.
- Children Discount: There are special prices for children, who can travel either free of charge or with a 50% discount. These discounts are automatically calculated during the booking process. Please note that this discount cannot be combined with other discounts, e.g. Family Discount.
- Family Discount: This discount applies to all ferry operators that serve the Italy - Greece route and it is automatically calculated when 3 or more ferry tickets are issued in the same booking. The discount rate varies depending on the ferry operator.
- Discount for Automobile clubs (e.g. ADAC): This is a 20-25% discount on vehicles of specific automobile or camping clubs and associations.You are eligible for this discount if you are a member of clubs like ADAC, ANWB, TCS, ÖAMTC etc. Please note that the discount applies on the vehicle fare only and it cannot be combined with the Family Discount or other offers. You can combine it however with the Early Booking Offer.
If you have any questions about the offers and discounts, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Ancona - Igoumenitsa and Ancona - Patras ferry routes
There are several weekly ferry crossings from Ancona to Greece, reaching the ports of Patras and Igoumenitsa. The ferry trip from Ancona to Igoumenitsa takes 17 hrs on average, covering a distance of 390 nautical miles. The ferry trip from Ancona to Patras lasts approximately 22.5 hrs and covers a distance of 491 nautical miles. Due to the long duration of the ferry trip it is advisable to book a cabin. All the vessels executing the ferry routes Ancona - Patras and Ancona - Igoumenitsa carry vehicles and have cabins.
Ferry from Venice to Greece
One of the most popular ports in Italy to start your ferry trip to Greece is the port of Venice. Starting from Venice, a romantic city with a rich historical past, you can take the ferry to the Greek ports of Igoumenitsa or Patras. Venice is the most disant Italian port that serves ferry routes to Greece. As a result, the duration of the ferry trip is longer. More specifically, sailings from Venice to Igoumenitsa take approximately 1 day and 3 hrs, covering a distance of 500 nautical miles. It takes up to 1 day and 9 hrs for ferries executing the Venice - Patras ferry route to travel the 692 nautical miles separating the two cities. All ferries executing the connection from Venice to Greece has cabins and designated space for vehicles. Make sure that you book well in advance, especially if you want to travel during the high season, as tickets sell out fast and prices rise!
Bari - Igoumenitsa and Bari - Patras ferry routes
The port of Bari is a great choice to start your ferry trip from Italy to Greece. There are a lot of weekly ferry sailings from Bari to Igoumenitsa and Patras. The ferry trip from Bari to Patras usually lasts 17 hrs 30 min, while the Bari - Igoumenitsa ferry trip usually ranges from around 10 to 13 hrs . The ferry route from Bari to Greece is rather popular, as it is the second shortest connection from Italy to Greece. It is advisable that you book your ferry tickets well in advance, since availability can be limited from as soon as April!
Ferries from Brindisi to Greece
The ferry crossing from Brindisi to Greece is the shortest between Italy and Greece. The distance from Brindisi to Patras is just 239 nautical miles and the trip usually lasts 17 hrs. The distance between Brindisi and Igoumenitsa is 169 nautical miles and the duration of the ferry crossing is around 9 hrs. Grimaldi Lines, the ferry company operating the ferry routes Brindisi - Igoumenitsa and Brindisi - Patras, also offers electronic tickets, making your ferry journey from Italy to Greece even easier!
Early Booking Discount by Minoan Lines
Minoan Lines offers a special 20% discount on bookings made before the 28th of February 2020, for trips taking place up until the 15th of January 2021. What’s even better is that this offer can be combined with other discounts that are usually offered (e.g. student or pensioner discount etc.)! However, it is important to keep in mind that tickets that have been booked with an Early Booking Discount cannot be cancelled. You can always change these tickets, but any change after the cut-off date (28th of February) would mean that you lose the discount on the ticket and that you have to pay the price difference. There is a limited number of Early Booking tickets available, so they could sell out before the stated cut-off date. Make sure you book early to get the cheapest ferry ticket!
Where to book ferry tickets from Italy to Greece
Compare all ferry operators, choose your vessel and book ferry tickets online for the ferry trip Greece-Italy with just 4 clicks on ferryhopper.com. Here you can find more information about the Greece-Italy ferry routes.