Taking the ferry from Italy to Greece is one of the most popular ways to travel from one country to the other. The trip is preferred each year by passengers traveling from central and northern Europe to Italy by car and then crossing to Greece by ferry. In this article you can find the latest updates on ferry schedules between Italy and Greece for 2020, the ferry operators, timetables, prices of ferry tickets and special offers, from ferryhopper.com.
There are 4 ports in Italy that serve the ferry connection to Greece
From there you may take one of the multiple sailings that reach Igoumenitsa and Patras in Western Greece.
There are 2 main Greek Ports that serve the ferry route to Italy:
You should always keep in mind that ferry routes from Italy to Greece are extremely popular and ferry tickets for these routes are usually sold out by mid Spring, so you should definitely consider booking your tickets well in advance!
Ferry Routes release schedule
The ferry companies operating the ferry routes from Italy to Greece have announced their ferry itineraries for the autumn of 2019. The ferry schedule for the year 2020 is most probably going to be announced in late November 2019, with all the possible information about the ferry crossing from Italy to Greece, as well as information about special offers and discounts. This post is going to be constantly updated with the latest information. Most cabins and vehicles are usually sold out by April, while the early booking offer usually runs till late February.
Shipping companies operating the ferry routes Italy-Greece
The ferry companies operating the ferry routes between Italy and Greece are Minoan Lines, Grimaldi Lines, Superfast Ferries and ANEK Lines. All the vessels that serve the ferry connection can take vehicles on board and have cabins, which are the best option for the longest routes, considering some of the sailings last well over 15 hours!
Greece-Italy Ferry with Camper
Travelling by ferry between Italy and Greece is the perfect way to bring your camper-motorhome-caravan. There are 2 offers and discounts on the ferry ticket prices. “Camping on Board” and “All Inclusive Camping” are two offers specially designed for camper travellers. Exclusively for the Adriatic Routes (Italy - Greece), you can get at the same price of a deck and a camper or caravan reservation the following:
- Garage space for your camper or caravan.
- Access to on-board showers, WCs, 220-volt power outlets and to all public areas on board, such as bars, restaurants, etc
- Accommodation in your caravan or in an internal cabin, depending on the ferry company’s policy
- Discounts on meals and drinks served at the “à la carte” and self-service restaurants during the voyage
You can book your ferry tickets online for the ferry route Greece-Italy with your caravan! If you would like to take advantage of this special offer, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and ask for the itinerary that suits you best. Our team will happily make the best combination of offers and find the lowest price for you and your co-travellers! You can find more information in our blog post Travelling from Europe and Italy to Greece by Car, a Camper or a Caravan.
Greece-Italy offers and discounts
There are many offers and discounts on the prices of ferry tickets for the ferry connection Italy-Greece. The main offers are:
- Early Booking Discount: This is a seasonal discount that is opening in December and closing in February/March. Usually, a 20-30% discount is applied to the overall ticket price. Please note that tickets issued with this discount cannot be either canceled or refunded. Find more information about the discount here.
- International Student Discount: The holders of the International Student Card (ISIC) are eligible for discounted tickets at the same rate as Greek university students (20% discount on economy seats etc.). If you would like to use this discount, please select the related discount from the drop-down menu.
- Return Tickets Discount: When issuing a return ticket, a discount is provided by the ferry operator (usually 20% or 30% on the return ticket) and it is automatically applied from Ferryhopper's ferry booking system.
- Children Discount: Children tickets have special prices and can travel either free of charge or with a 50% discount. These discounts are automatically calculated during the pricing process. Take care, as this discount cannot be combined with other discounts e.g. Family Discount.
- Family Discount: This discount applies to all ferry operators that serve the Italy - Greece route and it is automatically calculated when 3 or more ferry tickets are issued in the same booking. The pricing is performed according to the rules of each operator.
- Automobile clubs e.g. ADAC: This offer includes 20-25% discount on vehicles of specific automobile & camping clubs & associations and the discount applies on the vehicle fare only. You are eligible for this discount if you are a member of clubs like ADAC, ANWB, TCS, ÖAMTC etc.The discount is not cumulative with the family offer, deck/airseats offer, but you can combine it with the Early Booking Offer.
If you have any questions about the offers and discounts, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Ancona - Igoumenitsa and Ancona - Patras ferry routes
From Ancona there are several weekly ferry crossings to Greece reaching the ports of Patras and Igoumenitsa. The ferry trip from Ancona to Igoumenitsa has an average duration of 17 hours, covering a distance of 390 nautical miles, while the ferry trip from Ancona to Patras can last from 22 hours to 25 hours, covering a distance of 491 nautical miles and depending on whether the ferry makes an intermediate stop at the port of Igoumenitsa. Due to the long duration of the ferry trip it is advisable to book a cabin for your trip. All the vessels executing the ferry routes Ancona - Patras and Ancona - Igoumenitsa take vehicles and have cabins.
Ferry from Venice to Greece
One of the most popular ports in Italy to start your ferry trip to Greece is the port of Venice. Starting from Venice, a wonderful city with vast historical significance, you may take the ferry to the Greek port of Igoumenitsa or Patras. Venice is the most removed Italian port that serves ferry routes to Greece so the duration of the ferry trip is the longest, namely sailings from Venice to Igoumenitsa takes around 1 day and 3 hours, traveling a distance of 500 nautical miles, while ferries executing the Venice - Patras ferry route take up to 1 day and 9 hours to travel the 692 nautical miles separating the two cities. Every ferry executing the connection from Venice to Greece has cabins and designated space for vehicles, but you should book your tickets well in advance since availability gets low and ticket prices rise especially if you want to travel during the high season!
Bari - Igoumenitsa and Bari - Patras ferry routes
The port of Bari is a great choice to start your ferry trip from Italy to Greece. There are a lot of weekly ferry sailings from Bari to Igoumenitsa and Patras. The ferry trip from Bari to Patras usually lasts 17 hours and 30 minutes while the Bari - Igoumenitsa ferry trip usually lasts around 10 hours. The ferry trip from Bari to Greece is the second shortest connecting Italy to Greece, and as a result rather popular. It is advisable you book your ferry tickets well in advance, since availability gets low as soon as April!
Ferries from Brindisi to Greece
The ferry crossing from Brindisi to Greece is the shortest between Italy and Greece. The distance from Brindisi to Patras is just 239 nautical miles and the trip usually lasts 17 hours . The distance between Brindisi and Igoumenitsa is 169 nautical miles and the duration of the ferry crossing is around 9 hours. The ferry company, Grimaldi Lines, operating the ferry routes Brindisi - Igoumenitsa and Brindisi - Patras also offers an electronic ticket, further enabling you on your ferry journey from Italy to Greece!
Early Booking Discount from Minoan Lines
Minoan Lines offer a special 20% discount for bookings made before the 28th February 2020, for travel up to the 15th January 2021. It’s great to know that this discount is cumulative with any other discounts usually offered (student, pensioner, etc), but it’s important to remember that tickets which benefited from Early Booking discounts cannot be cancelled. You can always change these tickets, but any alteration after the 28th February cut off dates would mean that you lose the discount on the altered leg, and would have to pay the difference. There are a limited number of Early Booking tickets available, so these could run out before the stated cut-off date. Make sure you book early to get the cheapest ferry ticket!
How do I book ferry tickets from Italy to Greece?
Compare all ferry operators, choose your vessel and book ferry tickets online for the ferry trip Greece-Italy with just 4 clicks on ferryhopper.com. Here you can find more about Greece-Italy ferry routes.