Halki is a stunning small island that is located in the Dodecanese. It stands out for its peaceful atmosphere, magical beaches, the picturesque port with impressive architecture and natural landscapes. On this page, you will find all information about holidays in Halki, the sights, the food and ferry routes. Book ferry tickets on Ferryhopper and plan your trip to Halki easily and quickly!
Vacation in Halki
Halki is one of the smallest islands of the Dodecanese and is located between Rhodes and Tilos. Although it is a relatively unknown destination, it is full of charm and hidden treasures. You will immediately love it when you see the beautiful picturesque port as if it has come out of a postcard. Families and couples usually choose Halki for their summer holidays and is also ideal for day trips from neighboring islands of the Dodecanese.
The colorful port of Halki, Nimborio
How to get to Halki
You can travel by ferry to Halki from the port of Piraeus. There are weekly crossings from the main port of Athens to the island and the ferry trip lasts over 1 day. In addition, there are also ferry crossings from Crete and other islands of the Dodecanese.
You can find more information on the ferry itineraries from and to Halki in the section below!
What to do in Halki
Halki is far from a tourist destination that has preserved its original character and offers rest, simplicity and quiet holidays to the visitors. Only a few hours in Halki can be enough in order to get acquainted and ease into the slow rhythms of the locals. Endless hours of relaxation on the enchanting beaches, hospitable atmosphere, walking in nature, dancing at festivals and delicious traditional food await you in Halki!
Beaches in Halki
The beaches of Halki are ideal for peaceful holiday moments. Most of them are accessible either by sea or foot. Keep also in mind that only a few have amenities for the visitors.
- Pondamos: It is the most popular beach of the islands, just a 10-min walk from the port. It has white sand and crystal clear blue waters and has amenities such as umbrellas and sunbeds. There is also a taverna and a canteen nearby.
- Kania: It has impressive turquoise waters, pebbles, umbrellas and sunbeds.
- Giali: This is a small secluded beach, ideal for isolation. It is relatively hard to access it but the deep clear waters and the white pebbles are surely worth it.
- Ftenagia: Another beach with crystal waters, pebbles and tamarisk trees. There are amenities like umbrellas and a taverna nearby.
- Areta: A small, wonderful beach with turquoise waters and impressive seabed. It is surrounded by high cliffs and is only accessible by boat.
- Trachia: Actually, this is a strip of land that is surrounded by the sea. The wonderful landscape and the heavenly waters will enchant you for sure. The beach is accessible only by boat.
The magnificent crystal waters in Halki
Sightseeing and activities in Halki
You can visit the various sights to get to know the history of Halki and discover the hidden natural beauties of the island. Some suggestions on what to see and do in Halki are:
- Walking in Nimborio: Nimborio is the port and the only settlement of the island. It is just like a painting as it has colorful houses, tiled roofs, beautifully restored mansions and graphic alleys. The City Hall with the clock tower and the church of Agios Nikolaos with the imposing bell tower stand out.
- Visiting the Chorio (Khurion): Chorio is the old capital of the island, which is now deserted. It is located about 2.5 km from the port (about a 1-hour walk). Don’t forget to enjoy the stunning view of the Carpathian Sea from the Castle of the Knights. The old church of Agios Nikolaos and its murals are also conserved here.
- Monastery of Agios Ioannis: You can walk for about 2 hours and reach its courtyard where you can relax under the shade of a large cypress tree. The biggest festival of Halki takes place here on August 29th with traditional music, food and dancing until the morning.
- Day trip to Alimia: Alimia is an islet between Halki and Rhodes which you can visit by boat from Nimborio. Here, you will swim in a beautiful beach with clear blue waters, you will find a salt-water lake and ruins from different eras!
- Monastery of Panormitis: This is a charming monastery that is surrounded by trees. The spot has a breathtaking panoramic view of the whole island!
- Hiking: Halki is small and you can easily get it around on its many paths. You can start from the port and follow the route to the monastery of Panormitis, which also passes through Chorio. From there, you can follow the trail to the monastery of Agios Georgios.
Nightlife in Halki
As you can imagine the nightlife in Halki is pretty low-key. Most visitors choose a small taverna or bar to enjoy their meal and drinks. The main events of Halki are the summer festivities, aka panigiria, where you can eat, drink and have fun all night!
Food in Halki
While in Halki, you will have the opportunity to taste delicious traditional dishes and local products. Ferryhopper suggests you should try:
- Traditional pasta
- Koulia (traditional flatbread)
- Roasted lamb (stuffed with rice and herbs)
- Halki shrimp
- Local cheeses
- Spoon sweets
Fishing boats at the picturesque port of Halki
Useful information for Halki
Nimborio is the port and the only settlement of Halki. Here, you will find most of the amenities for the visitors: ATM, supermarket, rbegional doctor's office, Citizens' Service Center, bakery, as well as most of the taverns and cafes of the island. Halki has one pharmacy, though you can also get basic medicines from the supermarket. In terms of accommodation, there are some rooms for rent. in Nimborio. Keep in mind that their number is limited, so we recommend that you book your stay in Halki well in advance.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Halki
Some useful phones for your vacation in Halki are:
- Halki Regional Clinic: +302246045206
- KEP of the Municipality of Halki: +302246045100
- Halki Port Authority: +302246045220
- Halki Police Station: +302246045213
- Municipality of Halki: +302246360200, 60201
Transportation in Halki
There are few cars on the island, as the distances are short and you get around mainly on foot. There is a taxi as well as a bus, even though there aren't many regular bus routes bu. You can also get a local boat to get to some of the island’s beaches!
Port of Halki
The port of Halki is located in Nimborio and has amenities for visitors nearby. You can find cafes, stores and taverns there.
Don't forget the souvenirs!
Island hopping from Halki
The port of Halki is well connected to other islands of the Dodecanese, some of the Cyclades and Crete. The closest destination to Halki is Rhodes, which is very easy to get to as the crossings are frequent and the ferry ride is only 35 minutes.
Halki has direct ferry routes to:
- Heraklion (Crete)
- Sitia (Crete)
On the Ferryhopper Map of ferries, you can find all available ferry connections between Halki and other islands of the Aegean. Plan your holidays now in just a few steps!
Halki ferry: schedules and tickets
The port of Halki is connected to Athens with ferries departing from the port of Piraeus. The Piraeus - Halki ferry route is served at least 2 times a week and the ferry journey lasts 24 to 30 hours.
Tip: The ferry trip from Piraeus to Halki is long and the ferry also travels during the night. For that reason, we highly recommend that you book a bed cabin for a more convenient voyage.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Halki
Are you looking forward to visiting the picturesque port of Halki? On Ferryhopper you can book ferry tickets to Halki online at the best prices. On our pages, you will find all available information about the island, the prices, the schedules and ferry connections, in order to organize your trip to the Dodecanese!