Traveling from Volos to Skopelos by ferry
Currently, there is no direct ferry connection between Thessaloniki and Skopelos. However, you can get easily by car to Volos and catch a ferry from its port to the Sporades. Keep reading in order to find all available information on how to reach Skopelos from Thessaloniki.
Ferry schedules from Volos to Skopelos*
Is there a ferry from Thessaloniki to Skopelos?
Even though there isn’t a direct ferry route to Skopelos from Thessaloniki, you can get there from Volos all year-round. Ferries from Volos travel to 2 ports in Skopelos: Chora and Glossa. During the whole year, you can find around 10 weekly crossings and up to 3 daily ferry crossings during the summer. The route is usually serviced by 3 ferry companies: Aegean Flying Dolphins, Blue Star Ferries and Anes Ferries.
Where is the port of Volos?
Volos is located in central Greece, around 200km from Thessaloniki and its port is located near the city center.
How to get to the port of Volos from Thessaloniki?
You can reach the city of Volos by car or intercity buses (KTEL). The trip from Thessaloniki to Volos takes around 2 to 2.5 hours.
How long is the ferry ride from Volos to Skopelos?
The Volos to Skopelos ferry duration ranges from approximately 2 to 4 hours, depending on ferry company, vessel type and port of arrival. For instance, the port of Glossa is closer to Volos. In general, you will need around 6-7 hours in total to get to Skopelos from Thessaloniki.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Volos to Skopelos?
Yes, you can travel with a high-speed ferry from Volos to Skopelos. The fastest ferry to Skopelos makes the trip in approximately 2 hr.
How much is the ferry from Volos to Skopelos?
The Volos - Skopelos ferry price ranges from approximately €20.5 to €41. The ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on discounts, offers, seat and vessel type, as well as vehicle selection. Take into account that you need some extra money for gas or for the intercity bus (KTEL) ticket from Thessaloniki to Volos
What’s the ferry schedule from Volos to Skopelos?
There are 1-3 daily ferry crossings from Volos to Skopelos during the summer. The earliest ferry usually departs from Volos at 07:45 and arrives in Skopelos at 11:00, while the latest scheduled trip to Skopelos from Volos is at 19:00, arriving at 21:40.
Good to know: ferry schedules are subject to change depending on the season. Find the latest information and check real-time data for ferries from Volos to Skopelos on our fare search engine.
What’s the distance between Thessaloniki and Skopelos?
The total distance between Thessaloniki and Skopelos is around 300km as Thessaloniki is about 200 away from Volos and Volos is approximately 90km from the island.
Am I allowed to travel from Thessaloniki to Skopelos?
For the latest information on COVID-19 and ferry travel in Greece, visit our relevant FAQ section.
Magnificent turquoise waters in Skopelos
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Volos to Skopelos?
You can easily book cheap Volos - Skopelos ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with no extra fees. Find information about available routes on Ferryhopper’s Map of ferries, compare ferry companies and itineraries and plan your trip from Thessaloniki to Skopelos via Volos.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Thessaloniki to Skopelos
- Buses from Thessaloniki to Volos depart daily from “Makedonia” intercity bus station (KTEL Makedonia), around 6km from the city center.
- The port of Volos is located 15-20 minutes from the city bus and train stations. The port passenger terminal is within walking distance from the city center.
- On Ferryhopper, you can discover island-hopping options from Skopelos to Skiathos and Alonissos.
- Find more information about Covid-19 ferry safety measures and learn how to stay safe during your trip to Skopelos.
- The port area in Volos gets quite busy and it may be challenging to find secure parking. Book parking at the port of Volos in advance to make sure you have a smooth trip.
- There are 2 main ports in Skopelos: Glossa and Chora. Ferries from Volos travel to both ports on the island. Occasionally, depending on the weather conditions, ferries may travel the port of Agnontas as well.
- For more information about the trip from Thessaloniki to Skopelos, arrival ports and departure times, do not hesitate to contact the Ferryhopper Customer Support Team!
Ferry companies are usually quite flexible when it comes to luggage size and weight. You can keep your luggage next to you or store your bags and suitcases in the designated luggage area on the ferry from Volos to Skopelos.
Good to know: bear in mind that there is no check-in procedure for luggage items.
Tip: each ferry company has its own baggage allowance policy. We recommend that you don’t carry more than 50kg of luggage to avoid delays due to restricted space in the luggage area.
High-speed ferries do not have cabins, but they have numbered seats. There are cabins and numbered seats on standard ferries for a more comfortable journey.