Ferry from Valletta to Gozo
Tickets, Prices & Schedules
Is there a ferry from Valletta to Gozo?
There are usually more than 18 ferry crossings all year round from Valletta to Gozo. This service is offered by 2 companies: Virtu Ferries Gozo and Gozo Fast Ferry.
Please bear in mind that ferry timetables are subject to change from season to season. You can check our fare search engine for the latest ferry timetables and book your ferry tickets with no extra fees.
How long is the ferry ride from Valletta to Gozo?
The duration of the ferry from Valletta to Gozo takes approximately 45 min. Please, keep in mind that travel time depends on weather conditions and the type of ferry.
Is there a high-speed ferry from Valletta to Gozo?
The ferry connections from Valletta to the island of Gozo are all operated by high-speed boats (hydrofoils) that reach Gozo in 45 min.
How much is the ferry from Valletta to Gozo?
The price of a ferry ticket from Valletta to Gozo is around €12. The ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on available discounts. If you take a return ticket, you will be eligible for a discount.
Some ferry companies offer discount tickets for children. Children up to 4 years travel for free while there are discounts for students, island residents, the elderly and people with reduced mobility.
Tip: you can also travel with your pet by ferry for an additional cost of around €5.
What’s the ferry schedule from Valletta to Gozo?
There are normally around 18 daily ferry crossings from Valletta to Gozo. The earliest ferry from the port of Valletta leaves around 06:15 and arrives at the port of Mġarr in Gozo around 07:00. The latest departure is usually at 21:45 arriving on the island at 22:30.
What’s the distance between Valletta and Gozo?
The distance between the port of Valletta and Gozo by ferry is 15 nautical miles (approximately 28km).
Am I allowed to travel from Valletta to Gozo?
There are currently no restrictions for travelling from Valletta to Gozo. When you start planning your holidays, take a look at the latest updates on Covid-19, including all the documents required for your trip.
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Valletta to Gozo?
The idyllic Mediterranean landscape surrounding the port of Mġarr in Gozo, Malta
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Valletta to Gozo
Here are some important travel tips for your trip from Valletta to Gozo:
- During the summer months, it is preferable to arrive at the port of Valletta at least an hour before boarding to avoid delays.
- Ferry times change frequently. It is recommended to recheck the ferry timetable from Valletta to Gozo a few days before your departure.
- In case of hazardous weather conditions, ferry services are usually suspended. Please make sure to always consult with the company you are traveling with.
- You can also reach Malta by ferry from Sicily. Take a look at the ferry route from Catania to Malta and plan your trip!
- Explore the idyllic Mediterranean island of Gozo departing either from the port of Valletta or from the port of Ċirkewwa, a town located in the far north of Malta.
- With the Tallinja card (card that allows you to take all buses in Malta and Gozo without limit), you can also benefit from reductions on ferry tickets to Gozo.
Where to take the ferry from Valletta to Gozo
The Grand Harbour, also known as the port of Valletta is accessible by car or bus. It’s just a 12-minute walk from Saint John's Co-Cathedral, one of the most popular attractions of Malta.
Ferries and hydrofoils to Gozo depart from the Lascaris pier, which is located close to Valletta’s historical center. It is also very close to various shops, bars and restaurants.
Tip: the bus routes 45, 52, 81, X4 stop near Lascaris pier.
Each ferry company from Valletta to Gozo has its own baggage allowance policy. Specifically:
- On Virtu Ferries Gozo, passengers can bring a single luggage with a maximum size of 50x40x80cm.
- Gozo Fast Ferry also allows you to have 1 piece of luggage with no specific dimensions.
Tip: please note that ferry companies charge fees for additional baggage and baggage exceeding the size and/or weight policy.
There are no cabins on the vessels from Valletta to Gozo. Only standard seats are available on this ferry route.
Can I travel on the ferry from Valletta to Gozo with a car?
On the ferries operating the Valletta - Gozo route, it is not possible to board motor vehicles. However, you can take your bike on board for free.