Traveling from Olbia to Rome (Civitavecchia) by ferry
The Olbia-Civitavecchia ferry route is certainly one of the most popular, and for this reason, it is operated all year round, up to 27 times a week. Civitavecchia is only 72 km from Rome, so it is very convenient to travel by ferry from Sardinia and reach mainland Italy, to visit the various beauties of the peninsula. During the winter months, there are daily crossings that run at night, while daytime crossings run from May to September. The average ferry ticket price is around 178 €, but fares drop by far during the winter months.
Ferry schedules from Olbia to Rome (Civitavecchia)*
What is the frequency and the duration of the ferry journey from Olbia to Civitavecchia?
The ferry connections from Olbia to Civitavecchia are currently served by 2 ferry companies: Grimaldi Lines and Tirrenia.
- Grimaldi Lines ferries leave 6 times a week with crossings lasting about 6 hours and 30 minutes.
- Tirrenia offers up to 3 daily sailings lasting about 5 hours 30 min.
- The first crossing starts at 8:30 in the morning and the last 23:00 at night.
- Although the journey is short, you can book a bed cabin, a lounge seat or even a suite with exclusive services
What is the distance between Olbia and Civitavecchia?
The two ports both overlook the Tyrrhenian Sea and are approximately 222km (120 nautical miles) apart.
Should I book my ferry tickets from Olbia to Civitavecchia in advance?
The Olbia - Civitavecchia ferry route is very popular, especially during the summer. Consequently, we recommend that you book your ferry tickets in advance to take advantage of discounts and offers.
On Ferryhopper you can compare the ferry ticket prices, companies and schedules to select the option best suited for you.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Olbia to Civitavecchia
- All companies offer reduced rates for groups of people such as children or locals. On Ferryhopper you will find all types of ferry tickets as well as discounts and offers.
- If you are a Sardinia resident, you are entitled to discounted rates.
- The port of Olbia can be very crowded in summer. It is suggested to get to the port 90 min before the departure, especially if you are traveling with your vehicle.
- The port of Olbia that operates the ferry route to Civitavecchia is at Banchina Isola Bianca.
- If you want to reach the port by bus, there are connections made by local bus services departing from Orosei, Sassari, Santa Teresa and Siniscola as well as a direct connection from Nuoro.
- From the Olbia station, it is possible to reach the port by bus line 9 or by taxi at a cost of 15 €.
- We also recommend checking alternative routes to reach the port of Civitavecchia, such as the Porto Torres-Civitavecchia crossing. The port of Olbia is in fact just over 1 hour and 30 minutes by car from the port of Porto Torres.
- Once you arrive at your destination, you should get around the city of Civitavecchia! Don't miss its magnificent spas, the historic center, the archaeological sites and monuments.