Traveling from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Olbia by ferry
The ferry route between the port of Rome (Civitavecchia) and the port of Οlbia in Sardinia is certainly one of the most popular, since it is also active all year round. Civitavecchia (located only 72 km from Rome) is the easiest way to access the beautiful island of Sardinia from central Italy. There are daily ferry itineraries from Civitavecchia to Olbia and the ferry connection lasts approximately 8 hours. An approximate cost for the ferry trip is 100 euros for an economy return ticket but the price is of course subject to change if you transfer your own vehicle (car, motorbike or camper van), if you travel in a bed cabin or if you travel with your pet.
Ferry schedules from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Olbia*
How frequent is the ferry connection between Civitavecchia and Olbia?
The frequency of the ferry route from Civitavecchia to Olbia depends on the season: During the low season (October - April) there are usually only night departures while during high season (from May to September) there are also daily ferry connections. In the summer months of July and August, when the demand is higher, there are up to 5 ferry departures per day from Civitavecchia to Olbia.
At the moment the ferry connection between Rome (Civitavecchia) and Sardinia (Olbia) is served by the ferry companies Grimaldi Lines and Tirrenia.
Distance between Civitavecchia and Olbia
Both the ports of Civitavecchia and Olbia overlook the Tyrrhenian Sea and the distance between them is approximately 222km (120 nautical miles).
Ferry trip duration from Civitavecchia to Olbia
The ferry trip from Civitavecchia, on the western coast of Italy, to Olbia, in Sardinia, can take from 5 hours (with a highspeed ferry) to 8 hours (with a conventional ferry). We suggest that for a more comfortable ferry trip you book a numbered seat or a bed cabin, while some ferry companies offer a suite or VIP options.
On Ferryhopper you will find all the ferry options and ferry ticket types to book the itinerary that best suits your needs and your plans.
Do I need to book ferry tickets in advance for Civitavecchia - Olbia?
The Civitavecchia - Olbia ferry route is one of the most popular, particularly during the summer months. We would, therefore, recommend that you book your ferry tickets well in advance, in order to also get the advantage of any early booking offers and discounts.
On the Ferryhopper search engine you can find all the available ferry itineraries for this route, and compare different ferry company prices in order to get the best price deals for your ferry trip.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Civitavecchia to Olbia:
- All ferry companies offer reduced rates for children or families and large groups. These discounts are usually available on specific periods of the year so keep an eye on the Ferryhopper search engine results for updates and on our blog for any official announcements from the ferry companies.
- The residents of Sardinia are entitled to discounted rates in Civitavecchia - Olbia ferry connection. The discount also applies to the residents’ vehicles.
- As the ferry schedules can change according to the season and the demand, make sure that you check with Ferryhopper the itineraries that you want to book, before start planning your holidays or weekend trip in Olbia.
- The port of Civitavecchia can get quite busy, particularly during the summer months, so we recommend that you arrive on time for your ferry departure. For travelers with a vehicle we suggest that you arrive at the port at least 90 minutes before departure, while for travelers without a vehicle 60 minutes before the ferry departs is sufficient.
- Sardinia is a unique destination and an island that is best to explore by car as it’s quite big and it has many interesting and beautiful places to visit. We recommend that you either bring your own vehicle by ferry or you rent one on arrival to the port of Olbia. You can see and compare ferry ticket prices for you and your vehicle on the Ferryhopper search results.
- Passengers boarding from Civitavecchia to Olbia must follow the street ‘Prato del Turco’ to get to their gate of departure.
- The Mediterranean can get quite windy during the summer and the ferry trips can be slightly bumpy. There is absolutely nothing to worry about, apart from the chance of getting a bit nauseous. If you don’t carry seasickness pills with you, you could ask the ferry staff for assistance.
- Before taking the ferry from the port, make sure that you spend some time visiting the city of Civitavecchia! A walk around the city can be fascinating! Don't miss Civitavecchia’s magnificent spas, the historic center, the archaeological sites, and its fascinating churches.
- During the summer the city of Olbia hosts the International Folklore Week which is an amazing celebration, an event not to be missed!