Traveling from El Hierro to La Gomera by ferry
The neighboring Canary islands of El Hierro and La Gomera are regularly connected by ferry via the island of Tenerife. Tenerife has frequent ferry connections with both El Hierro and La Gomera and on Ferryhopper you will find all the available ferry schedules to make your island hopping in the Canary islands easy, fun and fast! Find here useful information for your ferry trip from El Hierro to La Gomera and start planning your journey in the beautiful volcanic islands of the Canary archipelago.
How frequent is the ferry connection between El Hierro and La Gomera?
The port of Valverde in El Hierro and the ports of La Gomera connect with an indirect ferry connection via the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife. From the port of El Hierro to Tenerife (Los Cristianos) there are 8 weekly ferry crossings. From the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife, you can two destination options for the island of La Gomera: the port of San Sebastian and the port of Valle Gran Rey.
- From Los Cristianos (Tenerife) to San Sebastian (La Gomera): This is the quickest ferry route to get from Tenerife to La Gomera. There are 6 daily ferry crossings from the port of Los Cristianos to the port of San Sebastian on the east side of the island of La Gomera.
- From Los Cristianos (Tenerife) to Valle Gran Rey (La Gomera): There are at least 2 ferries per week departing from the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife to the port of Valle Gran Tey in the west side of La Gomera.
On Ferryhopper you will find all the available ferry connections to El Hierro, Tenerife, La Gomera and all of the Canary island ports, in order to organize the best travel and island-hopping experience in this beautiful island complex.
How long is the ferry trip from El Hierro to La Gomera?
The total duration of the ferry trip from El Hierro to La Gomera can be around 3,5 to 4 hours. More specifically, the ferry route from El Hierro to the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife is 2 hours and 20minutes. The ferry from Los Cristianos to La Gomera depends on the port that you choose to travel to.
- From Los Cristianos to San Sebastian de La Gomera, the ferry trip lasts around 50 minutes.
- From Los Cristianos to Valle Gran Rey in La Gomera, the ferry trip duration is 1hour and 45 minutes.
Ferry ticket price El Hierro - La Gomera:
The total cost of the ferry trip from El Hierro to La Gomera can be from 80 to 90 euros for a one-way economy ticket. If we break down the ferry trip, this calculates to:
- The ferry ticket from El Hierro to Tenerife costs around 50 euros.
- The ferry ticket from Los Cristianos (Tenerife) to the port of San Sebastian in La Gomera costs around 30 euros. If you choose to travel from Los Cristianos to the port of Valle Gran Rey in La Gomera, the ferry ticket price is around 40 euros.
The ferry ticket prices are subject to change every year so we recommend that you check the Ferryhopper search engine for all the updated itinerary details and ferry ticket prices.
Distance between El Hierro and La Gomera
The direct distance between El Hierro and La Gomera is just 63 km (34 nautical miles), however, the ferry route passes by the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife. This means that the total distance El Hierro - Tenerife - La Gomera, creates a ferry route of around 170 km (91 nautical miles).
Tips for your ferry trip from El Hierro:
- If you travel with your own vehicle from El Hierro make sure that you arrive at the port at least 90 minutes before your ferry departure. Passengers with no vehicles can be at the port around 60 minutes before departure.
- If you are planning to transfer your vehicle from El Hierro to La Gomera remember that this is an indirect ferry connection via the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife. So we recommend that you check the ferry departure and arrival times in the port of Los Cristianos and calculate some extra time for your and your vehicle disembarkation and embarking. On Ferryhopper you will find all the ferry schedules for the Canary island ports and all ferry ticket types including vehicles, bed cabins, and numbered seats.
- La Gomera is a volcanic island with unique natural landscapes. If you spend some time on this beautiful island, make sure that you visit the National Park of Garajonay to enjoy the incredible plants and trees, hike or cycle. From the view tower of Mirador Morro de Agando, you can also get an impressive view of the Park. Don't forget to visit the volcanic monolith of Roque de Agando, an impressive point in the landscape of La Gomera.
- Apart from the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife, the port of San Sebastian in La Gomera connects by ferry to the small treasure of La Palma. The San Sebastian - La Palma is a very frequent ferry crossing for which you can find more information on the Ferryhopper pages!
- La Gomera is a really beautiful island and we recommend that if you can you drive around and explore its hidden corners. An alternative way of transport across the island is via ferry: the three ports of La Gomera connect with each other by the Fred Olsen Express ferries! You can find more information about the ferry routes in La Gomera, between its ports San Sebastian - Valle Gran Rey - Playa Santiago, on our dedicated pages!