Catania is an ancient port city located on the island of Sicily, right between the volcano Etna and the sea. Thanks to its baroque beauty, its historic character and the mild climate, Catania is one of the most popular destinations in Sicily. On Ferryhopper you will find all the available ferry routes from the port of Catania: book ferry tickets and organize the ideal Italian holidays!
How to get to Catania by ferry?
The ancient port of Catania is an important tourist and commercial hub. Its position in the center of six Sicilian provinces and the excellent connections with railways, highways and airports, have transformed it into a point of reference for national and international traffic.
Numerous ferries depart from Catania every day to Salerno and Valletta. With a choice of about 15 weekly itineraries, it is, therefore, possible to travel by ferry from beautiful Sicily to both the Italian peninsula and the island of Malta.
- Catania - Salerno: Traveling by ferry from Catania to Salerno allows you to avoid passing through the Strait of Messina, the airport, and the busy Salerno-Reggio Calabria motorway. There are 6 weekly crossings in the evening and the ferry ride lasts around 13 hrs. For this reason, we suggest that you book a bed cabin to make your trip more pleasant!
- Catania - Valletta: You can also take a ferry from Sicily and reach the beautiful island of Malta. There are almost 9 weekly sailings, usually in the evening, and the duration of the ferry trip Catania - Malta varies from 4 to 7 hrs.
Ferryhopper gives you all information on the available ferry ticket types for the ferry routes from Catania. Take a look at the Ferryhopper map with all ferry connections from the port of Catania and start planning your trip immediately!
What to do in Catania?
Catania is famous for its baroque style, the beautiful beaches and the tasty food. You can also admire the imposing Mount Etna. Stroll through Piazza Duomo, Via Etnea and Via dei Crociferi; get lost among the stalls of the vibrant La Pescheria market and admire the lava stone monuments around the city!
Beaches in Catania
In the shadow of the majestic Etna, you can find a 65 km coastline with golden sand beaches, as well as dark rock beaches. Ferryhopper suggests the following beaches in Catania:
- Spiaggia di San Marco Calatabiano
- Playa di Catania
- Spiaggia di Fondachello
- Foce Simeto di Catania
- Marina di Cottone
- Spiaggia del Mulino di Acireale
- Spiaggia di Acitrezza
- Santa Tecla
Sightseeing in Catania
Catania is full of impressive historical and beautiful natural sights that are worth a visit. Some Ferryhopper recommendations for sightseeing in Catania are:
- Palazzo Biscari
- Piazza Duomo
- Church of Sant'Agata
- Elephant Fountain
- Amenano Fountain
- University square
- Massimo Bellini Theater
- Collegiate Basilica
- Benedictine monastery
- Roman amphitheater
- Bellini garden
- Ursino Castle
Also, around Catania you can visit:
- Hiking Mount Etna is one of those things that should not be missing during your stay in Catania: ancient craters, lunar landscapes and breathtaking views await you!
- Alcantara Park, between white rock gorges and cactus and citrus trails.
- Discover the beautiful Taormina, just 54 km from Catania, with its famous Greek Theater.
- The villages of Savoca (famous for the Il Padrino saga) and Castelmola (famous for its almond wine).
Food in Catania
In Sicily, food is truly sacred, and certainly Catania is a city to be explored not only from the historical and architectural point of view but also for its food and wine. Here are the must-haves to try during your stay:
- Pasta alla Norma
- Horse meat
- Minnuzze di Sant'Agata
Where to buy ferry tickets from Catania?
Can't wait to stop in historic Catania, lose yourself in its historic center, climb Mount Etna and admire its beautiful coasts? Don't think about it ... Catania is the destination to choose, and Ferryhopper is here to help you find all the available ferry routes from Catania. Compare prices and book ferry tickets from Catania to Salerno and Valletta quickly, easily and at the best prices!