How to get to El Hierro: the complete guide
Plan your trip to El Hierro step-by-step!
El Hierro is a small island located in the Canary Archipelago, known for its wild, volcanic beauty. Despite its small size, El Hierro offers a wide variety of activities and sights to enrich your holidays there.
For this reason, don’t forget to check our El Hierro travel guide which includes useful info and tips for your vacation there. But first, let’s find out how to get to El Hierro!
Flight or ferry to El Hierro?
El Hierro is connected to other Canary Islands by ferry and plane. Its main port, Puerto de la Estaca, and its airport are both located near Valverde and serve routes to other destinations.
As of now, the only direct ferry crossing that is currently available to El Hierro is that from Tenerife. Alternatively, you can catch a flight from Tenerife and Gran Canaria to El Hierro.
Wondering what’s the best way to get to El Hierro? Flights may be shorter in duration, but traveling by ferry is surely more fun. Read below why traveling to El Hierro by ferry is the best way to kick off your vacation:
- Ferry traveling is more comfortable and offers beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- You can bring your vehicle on the ferry to El Hierro and get around the island with ease.
- Traveling by ferry with your pet is more convenient than flying if you consider bringing your little friend along.
- Traveling by ferry to El Hierro is the greenest way to visit the Canaries. Find out more information about sustainable ferry travel on Ferryhopper.
- Ferry trips are much safer in the era of COVID-19, as you can sit on the open-air deck and keep a safe distance from other travelers. Before your ferry ride, we recommend checking all the latest updates on COVID-19 and ferry travel in Spain.
Charco Azul, a volcanic pool in El Hierro
Traveling to El Hierro from Tenerife
There are direct ferry crossings from Tenerife to El Hierro all year long. You can usually find 1 daily itinerary from the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife to El Hierro, served by Naviera Armas. If you wish to bring your vehicle to El Hierro, traveling by ferry is the right option for you.
The ferry trip from Tenerife to El Hierro lasts about 2.5 hr. A single Tenerife - El Hierro ferry ticket costs around €50 for a standard economy seat.
Note: you can also catch a flight from the airport of Tenerife to El Hierro. The trip lasts about 40 min.
Getting to El Hierro from mainland Spain
The only way of reaching El Hierro from mainland Spain is by traveling to Tenerife or Gran Canaria first. From there, you can travel by ferry or plane to El Hierro.
Book ferry tickets to El Hierro
On Ferryhoper, you can find everything you need to visit the Canary Archipelago with ease. Check all ferry routes to El Hierro, along with the respective ferry schedules in Spain. Compare prices and book ferry tickets to El Hierro easily and quickly, without hidden fees!
Tip: on our Map of ferries, you can find all ferry connections between El Hierro and other Spanish ports. Don’t forget to check our island hopping guide for the Canaries and discover the diverse beauty of the Canaries!