Ferry ride from Barcelona to Mallorca: complete guide
It is plain sailing!
Are you considering Mallorca for your holidays this year? It’s among the top holiday destinations for a reason so you made the right choice. You can easily reach the largest island of the Balearic Islands by ferry and also explore its Mediterranean spirit in depth.
In this guide, you can find everything you need to know from the top ferry routes to Mallorca to the best travel tips for your ferry trip from Barcelona:
- Guide: how and why to travel by ferry to Mallorca
- Ferry routes from Barcelona to Mallorca
- Family and pet travel from Barcelona to Mallorca
- Useful tips for the ferry trip Barcelona - Mallorca
The impressive natural rock arch of Es Pontàs in southern Mallorca
Guide: how and why to travel by ferry to Mallorca
Mallorca (also Majorca), is the crown jewel of Spain's Balearic Islands. It is known for its mesmerizing beaches, imposing limestone mountains, hidden coves, wineries and local delicacies such as sobrassada, the delicious cured and spiced traditional sausage.
Now, let’s see how and why to reach the beautiful island of Mallorca by ferry!
Is there a ferry from the Spanish mainland to Mallorca?
You can hop on a ferry from the Spanish mainland to Mallorca at the following ports: Barcelona, Gandia, Valencia, and Denia. The most popular route is from the port of Barcelona on the northeast coast of Spain.
Peaceful afternoon at the port of Barcelona
Why travel to Mallorca by ferry?
Traveling to Mallorca by ferry is a great option if you want to explore mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands. Ferry travel gives you the opportunity to bring your own vehicle, cut down on waiting time, and be flexible with schedules.
Normally, the ferries departing from Barcelona to Mallorca are conventional vessels. All ferries have a garage for vehicles, cabins, lounge seats, lobbies, open-air deck spaces, and restaurants.
Taking the ferry is like a mini-vacation! You can book a cabin bed, transfer your car, motorhome or caravan, carry sports gear, enjoy free Wi-Fi, or even bring your pet with you. Traveling by ferry to the Balearic island is perfectly safe, and you have the chance to relax, enjoy the sea, breathe fresh air and have fun!
Tip: a ferry can be the best option for a family vacation. Ferry companies make special arrangements for families traveling to Mallorca, including kids’ workshops and performances, as well as special meals, and cribs.
Enjoy the sea breeze on the deck of the ferry from Barcelona to Mallorca
Οnboard ferry services
Ferries from Barcelona to Mallorca are modern, spacious, and equipped with all necessary facilities.
During your ferry trip to Mallorca, you have access to many onboard services such as gastronomy and entertainment options, family-friendly experiences, and pet provisions. So, let’s take a look at the list with all the treats that you can find onboard:
- Seats and cabins: you can choose between a regular and a premium lounge seat, or a private cabin. If you’re traveling from Barcelona to Mallorca as a group or family, you may want to book a cabin for extra comfort during the trip.
- Food: on the ferry to Mallorca, you can find many finger-licking options, ranging from typical Spanish tapas to pasta. You can also enjoy gluten-free and lactose-free meals and vegetarian dishes.
- Entertainment: ferry travel is quite fun! You have access to live TV in the ferry lounges and the cabins and film screenings in the common areas. You can also access entertainment platforms with audiovisual content and enjoy films and games for both kids and grown-ups.
- Vehicles and Parking: getting to Mallorca by ferry means that you can bring your own vehicle with you. Ferries can accommodate all cars and motorcycles, as well as motorhomes and scooters.
Tip: there are also provisions for persons with reduced mobility, such as priority boarding and wheelchairs. Also, many ferries provide spacious wheelchair-friendly seating, as well as accessible cabins.
Snacking and sea-gazing on the ferry to Mallorca
Ferry routes from Barcelona to Mallorca
You can travel on the Barcelona to Mallorca ferry all year long. There are regular ferry routes from Barcelona Port to the 2 ports of Mallorca: Palma de Mallorca and Alcúdia. Find more details about the ferry crossings to Mallorca below:
- Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca ferry: the ferry from Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca takes a little over 7 hours. The route is operated by Trasmediterránea and Baleària with daily crossings and the ferry ticket price starts at €32.
- Barcelona - Alcúdia ferry: the Barcelona - Alcúdia crossing is normally operated by Baleària. Sailings are daily and the ferry trip duration is 5.5 hours on average. Standard ferry tickets are around €45.
The port of Palma de Mallorca on a sunny day
Where is the port of Barcelona?
The port of Barcelona is located close to the city center. You can walk to the port by following the beautiful street of La Rambla until you reach the coast. The closest metro station is Drassanes on line L3. There are also several bus stops heading to the port of Barcelona, including bus lines 88, 88B, 21, N0, N6 and 59.
If you’re flying into Barcelona, you can catch public buses A1 and A2 to the city center, and take metro line L3 to Drassanes. Alternatively, you can drive to the port taking road C-31 starting from El Prat and merging into the B-10 motorway. There are, also, many taxis at the airport ranks.
The ferry terminal at the port of Barcelona
Family and pet travel from Barcelona to Mallorca
If you’re traveling from Barcelona to Mallorca with kids, the ferry option is the best for you. Why? Ferries to Mallorca have entertainment facilities for children and teenagers. From arcade games, board games and workshops to magic shows your children will find themselves having fun during your family trip to Mallorca.
Plus, you can book a family-sized cabin to have a relaxing trip, before you hit the beaches of Mallorca. There are different cabin types to choose from. You can book a premium cabin with TV and other amenities to travel in total privacy. In most ferries, it is also possible to ask for a baby cot and get access to kids’ menus and other family amenities.
And if you can’t say “hasta luego” to the fluffy member of the family, we have good news! You can travel with your pet to Mallorca on the ferries of Trasmediterránea and Baleària. You can book a pet-friendly cabin, where your best friend can lie down comfortably during the trip.
Moreover, you can choose to accommodate your pet in one of the designated crates. If you prefer to stay by your pet’s side for the duration of the crossing, you can bring your own carrier. In some ferries, it’s possible to take your pet for a short deck walk to get fresh air and take extra-cute photos!
Tip: make sure you have all the necessary documents to have a smooth and fast boarding for you and your pet. You can learn more about pet travel by ferry in Spain here!
Gazing at the blue Balearic Sea from the ferry deck
Useful tips for the ferry trip Barcelona - Mallorca
Here you can find 6 useful travel tips for the ferry trip to Mallorca from Barcelona:
- The port of Barcelona is one of the busiest in Europe. If you’re traveling with a vehicle or during peak season, we recommend you get there at least 1 hour and 30 minutes before departure.
- You can have a look at the available discounts for the ferry trip to Mallorca. There are lower fares for children, babies, island residents, and groups.
- If you plan to travel with your vehicle, consider booking as early as possible, as parking spots sell out fast.
- Getting around Mallorca is no problem. You can walk to many of the attractions and beaches, ride a bike, or get a taxi. If you want to use public transport, there are trains and frequent bus services all over the island. The city of Palma also has 2 metro lines, serving 16 stations in total.
- There are many accommodation options to choose from in Mallorca. You can stay at luxury villas, boutique hotels, hostels, campsites, or your own motorhome.
- Make sure you have your boarding pass ready for check-in, to reduce waiting time and avoid unnecessary delays. Depending on the ferry company, you can either print your boarding pass or show your e-ticket.
The beautiful Plaza Mayor in Palma de Mallorca in the morning light
Book ferry tickets from Barcelona to Mallorca
On Ferryhopper, you can easily book your ferry tickets to Mallorca from Barcelona with no hidden fees. Find all the available ferry routes on our Map of ferries, compare ferry companies and itineraries, and plan your trip to the Balearic Islands.