Bari is one of the most important ports in the Adriatic Sea and the best departure option to travel by ferry from Italy to Greece and the Balkans. On Ferryhopper you can book cheap ferry tickets from Bari and compare all ferry schedules and ferry ticket types. On this page, you will find useful information about the port of Bari, the popular ferry routes, and what to do there.
How to get to Bari
The port of Bari is located on the southeast coast of Italy and it's the capital of the Puglia (Apulia) region. You can easily drive to Bari from central and south Italy as well as reach the city by train or bus. If you don't have your own vehicle then the fastest and easiest way to get to Bari is by train from Naples, in 3h20m, or from Rome, in 3h45min.
The New Port of Bari is used for all passenger ferries and cruise ships while the Old Port of Bari serves mostly small vessels, sailing boats, and fishing boats.
Ferry schedules and ferry tickets from Bari
From the port of Bari, you can travel by ferry to the ports of Albania, Croatia, western Greece, and the Ionian islands. On the Ferryhopper Map of Ferries, you can see all the available ferry connections from the port of Bari to plan your ferry crossings in the Adriatic and Mediterranean seas in the most convenient way for you. Popular ferry routes from the port of Bari include:
- Ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa: The ferry route from Bari to the port of Igoumenitsa in Western Greece is active throughout the year and it's one of the fastest ways to get from Italy to Greece by ferry. The Bari - Igoumenitsa ferry line runs at least once every day and the duration of the ferry trip is approximately 11 hours.
- Ferry from Bari to Patras: The ferry connection from Bari to Patras in northwest Peloponnese, operates once a day all year round. The duration of the Bari - Patras ferry route is approximately 17,5 hours.
- Ferry from Bari to Corfu: This is a seasonal ferry connection that runs weekly mostly in the summer months. The duration of the Bari - Corfu ferry trip is approximately 10 hours. There is also the option of traveling further south in the Ionian islands and take a ferry from Bari to Cephalonia (Kefalonia), a 16-hour ferry trip.
- Ferry from Bari to Durres: The ferry route from Bari to the neighboring port of Durres in the Albanian coast runs twice a day throughout the year. The duration of the Bari - Durres ferry ride is approximately 8 hours.
Since the ferry trips from Bari to Greece and Albania can be long and often overnight rides, we recommend that you book a bed cabin or a numbered seat for a more comfortable journey! On Ferryhopper you can find all ferry ticket types and all the available price range to plan your ferry trip in the best possible way!
What to do in Bari
Bari is not just a stop-over or a departure port for your ferry trip - it's a beautiful coastal city, full of basilicas, castles and historic buildings, while on its coast you will find impressive cliffs and white beaches. If you decide to spend few days in Bari, you shouldn't miss: a walk through Bari Vecchia while you taste focaccia and panzerotti, the nightlife of the Murat district, a relaxing walk on the seafront, and a visit to the beautiful seaside villages in the surrounding area, such as Alberobello, Polignano a Mare and Monopoli.
Beaches in Bari
Close to the Bari city center you will find some beautiful beaches for swimming and sunbathing, such as:
- Pane e Pomodoro: A quiet beach, well-organized and very close to the port
- Lido San Francesco: This beach is easily accessible thanks to a shuttle service that departs from the central station in Bari
- Polignano a Mare. A beautiful village located just 33 km from Bari (30min by train). The most famous beaches there are that of Lama Monachile and Cala San Giovanni, while you can also take an organized boat tour to some of the sea caves in the area.
- Monopoli: A small town, 45 km from Bari known for its crystal clear blue sea. Make sure that you visit the sandy beaches of Cala Copacabana, Porto Ghiacciolo, and Capitolo.
Festivals in Bari
There are many events held in Bari during the year, so make sure that you check what's on during the days of your visit and enjoy this lively city. Here are some of the most popular events in Bari:
- Acqua in testa: an international music festival in September
- The Feast of San Nicola: The celebration for the patron saint of the city happening on the 6th-7th of May.
- La Sagra della Zampina: Food and wine festival with music events and performances
- La Fiera del Levante: International and commercial fair with exhibitions, conferences, and events
Food in Bari
The area of Puglia is known for its delicious tastes and traditional Mediterranean recipes, based on olive oil, fresh vegetables, garlic or fish. When in Bari, therefore, you should definitely taste:
- Minestrone soup with seasonal vegetables
- Pasta al Forno (baked pasta)
- Ragu Alla Barese
- Burrata cheese
- Caciocavallo cheese
- Eggplants with tomato sauce
- Mustaccioli biscuits
Day trip to Alberobello
Your itinerary in Bari should definitely include a visit to Alberobello, the "city of the Trulli", a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Alberobello is about 54 km from Bari, and its characteristic architecture will charm you straight away. The best time to stroll around the picturesque streets of Alberobello is early in the morning or during sunset.
The main districts of Alberobello are Aja Piccola and Monti where we recommend that you walk around and admire:
- I Trulli Siamesi
- Trullo Sovrano
- Chiesa di Sant’Antonio da Padova
- Basilica santuario dei Santi Cosma e Damiano
- La Casa d’Amore
- Casa Pezzolla Museo del Territorio
Tips for your trip to Alberobello: You can easily reach Alberobello from Bari by train or bus since there are numerous daily connections. If you travel to Alberobello by car, there are a few parking lots near the center of the town, which usually cost around 5 euros per day. Alberobello is a beautiful place to visit anytime in the year, with the Christmas season being one of the most magnificent in terms of events and atmosphere.
Where to book ferry tickets from Bari?
Traveling by ferry from Bari to the ports of Greece, Albania, and Croatia is an excellent option as you can transfer your vehicle as well as experience the crossing of the beautiful Adriatic sea! With Ferryhopper you can book your ferry tickets from Bari easy, fast and at the best prices! On our Map of Ferries, you will find all the available ferry connections from Bari and the ports of Italy to the Mediterranean destinations and choose the itinerary that best suits your needs!