Alonissos is the easternmost of the Sporades island complex, in the northwest Aegean, and the greenest of the four. The island is a guarantee for relaxing holidays in nature and by the sea. Book your ferry tickets for Alonissos on Ferryhopper and find out more about how to get there and what to do during your stay on this beautiful island.
How to get to Alonissos
The island of Alonissos is easily accessible by ferry from mainland Greece and the ports of Volos and Evia (Mantoudi or Kymi) during the whole year. Alonissos also has frequent ferry connections to the nearby Skopelos and Skiathos. The island has no airport so the closest airport option is either Skiathos or Volos.
- If you are traveling from Athens to Alonissos, the fastest way would be to travel by car or bus to the port of Mantoudi in Evoia (2,5 -3 hours) and from there take a ferry to Alonissos that takes approximately 2 hours.
- If you are traveling from Thessaloniki to Alonissos, and in the case that there is no direct ferry connecting the two destinations, you can drive or take the bus to Volos (2hours) and from there take a ferry to Alonissos. The ferry trip from Volos to Alonissos is approximately 3,5-4 hours.
Below you may find a brief description of the ferry schedules to Alonnisos and more information about the island. On our ferry booking engine, you can compare all the available ferry itineraries to Sporades islands.
Ferry schedules and ferry tickets to Alonissos
The port of Alonissos, Patitiri, is located on the southwest side of the island and serves regular ferry routes to the mainland as well as the neighboring Sporades islands.
- There is at least 1 daily ferry to Alonissos from Volos during the winter, while in the summer there are at least 2 daily crossings. The Volos - Alonissos ferry trip lasts from 3-4 hours depending on the ferry type and the itinerary stops.
- You can also travel by ferry from Evoia (port of Mantoudi) to the port of Alonissos. The Mantoudi - Alonissos ferry line operates 3 times a week during the winter months and daily during high season. The ferry trip duration is approximately 2 hours.
- Most of the ferries that travel to Alonissos pass by the neighboring island of Skopelos. The Skopelos - Alonissos ferry route is daily throughout the year and its duration ranges from 20minutes to 1hour depending on ferry type and port of departure (Glossa or Skopelos town).
- If you arrive at the island of Skiathos by plane from Athens, Thessaloniki or other international destinations during the summer, you can reach Alonissos by ferry from the port of Skiathos. The Skiathos - Alonissos ferry route operates daily throughout the year and the ride lasts from 1,5 to 2,5 hours.
During the summer months, there is often the option of a direct ferry connection of the port of Thessaloniki with the Sporades islands. The ferry route from Thessaloniki to Alonissos is usually operated by highspeed ferries and the trip duration is a bit more than 2 hours. This seasonal ferry route is subject to change every year so we recommend that before you plan your ferry trip or holidays in Alonissos you check the Ferryhopper search engine for all updated ferry schedules and ferry company news.
Island hopping around Alonissos
Island-hopping in the Sporades island complex is a great idea as the distances between the three main islands of the complex are short and each island has unique landscapes and beautiful areas to explore. Most of the ferries that reach Alonissos also pass by Skiathos and Skopelos, which means that you can combine a stopover to the party island of Skiathos or the perfect film sceneries of Skopelos before you arrive at Alonissos. The duration of the whole Sporades ferry ride Skiathos - Skopelos - Alonissos is around 2,5 hours so you have many opportunities to discover the nature, beaches, and lifestyle of the Sporades islands!
Find all ferry connections for the Sporades on Ferryhopper and book the most convenient and fun ferry itinerary for you!
What to do in Alonissos
Alonissos is one of the best destinations for a relaxing vacation in Greece! The island of Alonissos is a lush paradise, with many beautiful beaches and coves as well as hikes with impressive views. The island is also famous for its national marine park, a nature reserve for many terrestrial and marine species such as the Mediterranean monk seal (monachus monachus).
Beaches in Alonissos
The beaches of Alonissos are surrounded by wild nature, they have clear blue waters and many of them are organized with tourist facilities. With sand or with white pebbles, the beaches in Alonissos are the best place to enjoy the sea, the sun and the relaxing landscapes of north Sporades. Here are some of our favorite Alonissos beaches:
- Leftos Gialos
- Chrisi Milia
- Megalos Mourtias
- Glyfa beach
- Agios Petros beach
- Agios Dimitrios beach
- Yialia beach
- Rousoum Gialos
Activities in Alonissos
The rich nature of Alonissos is a central element in the island character and we recommend that you spend as much time as you can exploring the coast and mainland of Alonissos. Here are some of the most popular activities in Alonissos:
- Kastanorema gorge
- Bike tours
- Boat trip to Peristera island
Food in Alonissos
When you visit Alonissos you should not miss a stop at its great fish taverns, as fresh fish and seafood dishes are a food specialty in the Sporades islands. In Alonissos make sure you taste:
- Lobster pasta
- Fresh fish
- Olive oil
- Cheese pie
- Meat pie
- Goat stew
- Chamalia (almond pastry)
- Fouskakia (small donuts)
Useful information for your trip to Alonissos
The main town of Alonissos, as well as the port of Patitiri, are located on the south side of the island and there you can find most of the municipal, commercial and tourist facilities on the island such as banks, pharmacies, medical cliniques, ATMs, petrol stations or supermarkets. Alonissos has a good bus network which during the summer runs frequent transfers from the port of Patitiri, to the main town of Alonissos and the seaside village of Steni Vala. There are also taxi services on the island as well as car rental options if you don't want to transfer your vehicle by ferry. Here are some useful phone numbers for your stay in Alonissos:
- Alonissos Port Authority: +30 2424065595
- Municipality of Alonissos: +30 2424350201 / 2424065555
- Alonissos Medical services: +30 2424065208
- Alonissos Police: +30 2424065205
- Alonissos Pharmacies: +30 2424066096 / 2424065540
Where to book ferry tickets to Alonissos?
Traveling by ferry to the beautiful, lush, island of Alonissos is now easier with Ferryhopper! Book your ferry tickets from Volos, Mantoudi, Skiathos or Skopelos to Alonissos in just 4 clicks and start planning your ideal holidays in Sporades islands!