Stockholm County, Sweden
Nynäshamn is a charming town located at the southern tip of the Stockholm archipelago. On Ferryhopper, you can find useful information about must-see places, local delicacies, and ferries to Nynäshamn and book your tickets easily and quickly!
The imposing church and the picturesque port of Nynäshamn
Vacation in Nynäshamn
Nynäshamn is a lovely town with about 13,000 inhabitants with a stunning 100-meter-long coastline. There, you can find seafood restaurants by the sea, cafes, shops, museums, and old towers.
The best time to visit Nynäshamn is between June and September when temperatures are mild. During the winter, temperatures can drop to -2°C so if you are planning to travel to Sweden between December and February, make sure to bring warm clothes.
How to get to Nynäshamn
You can travel to Nynäshamn by plane, train, or ferry. The closest major airport to Nynäshamn is Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN). It is about 100 kilometers away connecting the capital of Sweden with both domestic and international flights.
You can also catch a flight to Stockholm Bromma Airport (BMA) which is around 70 kilometers from Nynäshamn with mostly domestic flights. Also, if you’re looking for low-cost airlines, you can take a flight to the Stockholm Skavsta Airport (NYO) which is 122 kilometers from the center of Nynäshamn.
Also, you can reach the city by train or bus. Trains run from Stockholm to Nynäshamn every 30 minutes and the SL train takes there in less than 1 hour. If you want to travel by bus, there are many local and regional SL buses connecting Nynäshamn with the surrounding region.
Alternatively, you can travel to Nynäshamn by ferry. You can also book a cabin for a comfortable trip while enjoying the fascinating crossing and the breathtaking views from the ferry’s dock. Therefore, if you're planning to travel by ferry you can find more information about ferry routes and schedules from/to Nynäshamn.
What to do in Nynäshamn
Nynäshamn is a charming town with a few museums, amazing coastlines, and stunning natural landscapes. Take a stroll along the coastline and explore the area of Nynäshamns Fiskehamn, a meeting point for locals with little shops and cafes.
Then, you can visit one of the most popular micro-breweries in Sweden, Nynäshamn’s steam brewery (Ångbryggeri), located near the sea. Book a tour to see the beautiful steam brewery and try their first product, a Bedarö Bitter beer.
About 10 minutes from there, you will find the best seafood and fresh food (shrimp, herrings, salmon) at Nynäs Rökeri & Fiskhall. Smoked salmon is so good that many people are coming from Stockholm just to secure a few pieces of it.
Also, you can try the local cheese in a traditional dairy (gårdsmejeriet). From brie to blue cheese, it has something for every taste. Make sure to try Camembert cheese accompanied by a homemade local jam made of flowers.
A seaside restaurant in Nynäshamn
Sightseeing in Nynäshamn
Nynäshamn is a welcoming town with beautiful spots, stunning landscapes, museums, quaint alleys and cute, little cafes. Here you can find a list of the top sightseeing in Nynäshamn:
- The Nynäshamns Fiskehamn, the main gathering point for locals with little shops and cafes
- The Railway Museum, showcasing old steam engines and the long history of the railway since 1901
- The Ludde’s Cottage, one of the oldest buildings in Nynäshamn dating back to 1719
- The beach of Nickstabadet, a beautiful sandy coastline located in a small protected bay
- The Trehörningen’s Old Water Tower, an imposing 9-meter-high tower overlooking the town from the top of a hill
- The Käringboda Nature Reserve, situated to the west of Nynäshamn offering many hiking trails
A wooden Viking ship in a playground in Nynäshamn
Nightlife in Nynäshamn
The nightlife in Nynäshamn is relatively quiet. However, you will find a few pubs to enjoy local beer and wine near the port area.
Food in Nynäshamn
Nynäshamn’s cuisine offers plenty of varieties of seafood and fresh fish. Here are some of the most finger-licking local delicacies to try during your stay in Nynäshamn:
- pickled herring
- gravlax (cured salmon)
- köttbullar (meatballs)
- palt (potato dumpling)
- kålpudding (cabbage pudding)
- smörgåstårta (sandwich cake with light rye bread, creamy fillings, and fish)
- tjälknöl (reindeer fillet with stirred lingonberries and pickled mushrooms)
- kanelbullar (cardamom-scented cinnamon buns)
- prinsesstårta (pie layered with sponge cake, raspberry jam, and vanilla cream)
Smoked salmon with caper and pepper
Here are some useful tips for your stay in Nynäshamn:
- While there, experience the fika, the Swedish coffee break ritual starting at around 15:00 until 17:00. Enjoy a hot cup of coffee and delicious cardamon-scented pastries with friends or family.
- The express train from Arlanda Airport to the city center of Stockholm can be quite expensive. So, it’s better to take public transport (bus) and buy a single ticket to the city center of Stockholm. From there, you can catch a train to Nynäshamn and be there in 55 minutes.
- Sweden’s currency is the krona SEK and you can pay by card or cash. However, cards are preferred in Nynäshamn so make sure that you have your cards with you at all times. Make sure to exchange money at banks or currency exchange offices.
Useful information about Nynäshamn
Nynäsham is a paradise for food lovers with a large variety of beer, delicious cheese, and fresh fish inviting many visitors to taste them. It is a great destination for a weekend getaway and a beautiful town to relax and enjoy 2 days surrounded by its stunning natural landscapes and its picturesque port area.
As for accommodation, you can find some nice hotels near the heart of the charming town of Nynäshamn. Related to healthcare, there is a medical center in Nynäshamn located very close to the center of the town.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Nynäshamn
Here are some useful contacts for your trip to Nynäshamn:
- Nynäshamn Port Authority: +46852010615
- Nynäshamn Hospital: +46812066400
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN): +46101091000
- Swedish Police Authority: 11414
- European emergency number: 112
Transportation in Nynäshamn
Considering its small size, Nynäshamn is easy to explore on foot. You can also use the bus or rent a bike to easily move around the town and explore the picturesque Nynäshamn on two wheels.
Ports in Nynäshamn
Nynäshamn port is situated about 60 km south of Stockholm. It has three large berths with freight and passenger traffic. Regular ferry connections include crossings to Visby (the island of Gotland) and international routes to the port of Gdansk in Poland, Hanko in Finland, and Rostock in Germany.
Nynäshamn ferry: schedules and tickets
The port of Nynäshamn has ferry connections with the port of Ventspils in Latvia, Gdansk in Poland, Hanko in Finland, Visby on the island of Gotland, and Rostock in Germany. Here you can find more information on the ferry connections from/to Nynäshamn:
- Nynäshamn - Ventspils ferry: the connection between Nynäshamn and Ventspils is operated by Stena Line with 12 weekly crossings all year round. The crossings can last about 10 hours.
- Nynäshamn - Hanko ferry: there are up to 7 weekly connections from Nynäshamn to Hanko. The ticket price for the ferry trip is around €70 and the Nynäshamn-Hanko ferry takes about 14 hours.
- Nynäshamn - Gdansk ferry: there is 1 daily crossing between Nynäshamn and Gdansk that is operated by Polferries. The Nynäshamn - Gdansk ferry trip takes about 18 hours and the ferry ticket price is about €50.
- Nynäshamn - Visby ferry: the ferry connection from Nynäshamn to Visby is operated by Destination Gotland. There are about 14 weekly crossings to Visby lasting about 3 hours. Tickets start at €50.
- Nynäshamn - Rostock ferry: there are up to 3 weekly ferry trips from Nynäshamn to Rostock operated by Hansa Destinations. The ticket price is about €40 and the ferry crossing lasts around 17.5 hours.
The port of Nynäshamn in Sweden
Where to book ferry tickets to Nynäshamn online
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available ferry routes to and from Nynäshamn on our Map of ferries, compare prices, departure times and book cheap ferry tickets to Nynäshamn online at no extra cost.
View all trips from and to Nynäshamn
View all ferries departing from or arriving at Nynäshamn in the following week.