Saronic Gulf, Greece
Spetses is an island of the Saronic Gulf and is famous for its classy style and rich history. On this page, you will find useful information and suggestions for holidays in Spetses, such as best beaches, activities and ferry schedules. Book cheap ferry tickets online to Spetses on Ferryhopper!
Quiet, sunny day at the port of Spetses
Vacation in Spetses
Spetses is one of the most cosmopolitan islands of the Saronic Gulf.
It is located opposite the famous tourist resort of Porto Heli as well as close to Athens so it's great for a day trip or a long weekend.
The island has beautiful beaches and a lot of historical sites for exploring.
It's an all-year-round holiday destination and great for all types of travelers including families, couples or groups of friends.
How to get to Spetses
You can get to Spetses by ferry from mainland Greece.
The main ports where you can catch a ferry to Spetses are Piraeus and Porto Heli.
You can also reach Spetses from one of the neighboring islands of the Saronic Gulf such as Hydra.
The idyllic landscape in the beach of Agia Paraskevi, on the island's west coast
What to do in Spetses
The island is famous as the birthplace of Bouboulina (pronounced Bubulina), a Greek naval commander that had an important role during the Greek War of Independence.
Her house, now a museum, is one of the top places to visit while in Spetses.
The island has a rich history and numerous monuments and historical sights that can be part of your daily strolls around the main town of Spetses.
In Spetses, apart from the impressive neoclassical architecture you will enjoy the beautiful beaches surrounded by trees and picturesque landscapes.
Beaches in Spetses
Spetses has beautiful beaches with clear, turquoise waters. They have a combination of sand and pebbles, while the majority has umbrellas, sunbeds and a beach bar or a canteen.
There are also a few beaches with water sports facilities.
Here's a list with some of the best beaches of Spetses:
- Agios Mammas: This is the closest beach to the main town of Spetses. It is a large sandy beach with shallow waters, a favorite to families with children.
- Agios Nikolaos: Beautiful and small beach near the old port of Spetses. It is sandy with great water temperature and it's perfect for quiet days by the sea.
- Agia Marina: One of the most cosmopolitan and well-known beaches in Spetses. It has tourist facilities, shops, restaurants, cafe-bars as well as water sports facilites.
- Kounoupitsa: Small beautiful beach with golden sand and crystal clear waters close to the port of Spetses.
- Anargyrios Scholi: One of the most well-known beaches on the island with blue waters and pebbles.It has umbrellas, a beach bar, tavernas and water sports facilities.
- Agia Paraskevi: Probably the most impressive beach in Spetses. It has crystal blue-green waters, and it's surrounded by pine trees. It is only accessible on foot or by boat, but there is a beach bar where you can get refreshments and snacks.
- Ligoneri: Secluded beach with sand and pebbles, it can only be accessed via dirt road. Ideal if you want to spend some time away from the crowds.
- Zogeria: One of the prettiest beaches in Spetses. It has crystal green-blue waters and it's surrounded by lush vegetation with trees reaching the sea. It's perfect if you are looking to spend some relaxing time by the sea.
- Vrellos: Small beach with crystal clear waters and pebbles. It has umbrellas, sunbeds and a beach bar.
- Agioi Anargyroi: The largest and most popular beach on the island. It's on the west coast and it has sand, crystal blue waters, umbrellas for shade and water sports facilities.
- Xylokeriza: A beach with pebbles at the south coast of Spetses. It has umbrellas and it's ideal if you are into diving as it has amazing seabed.
The crystal waters in the coast of Spetses
Sightseeing and activities in Spetses
One of the best things to do in Spetses in to stroll around the main town and port, where you will admire the architecture, and you can visit museums and numerous attractions.
We also recommend exploring the rest of the island to discover its beautiful landscapes and beaches.
Here are some recommendations from the Ferryhopper team for your vacation in Spetses:
- Plan a carriage ride to the old and new port in Dapia to admire the impressive architecture of the island. Make sure that you visit the most famous sights at the area, such as the Museum of Bouboulina, the lighthouse at the port and the Mansion of Sotiri Anargyros.
- Explore the picturesque villages of the island, such as Agioi Anargyroi, Ligoneri and Kounoupitsa.
- If you are into sea activities then in Spetses you can definitely enjoy diving, snorkeling and fishing. You can also go for a boat ride and visit some of the caves of the island, such as the cave of Bekiris.
- The island is also great for outdoor activities as it has a lot of hiking trails and cycling routes, especially in the forest of Spetses. The island also hosts one of the biggest triathlon races in Greece, Spetsathlon.
Nightlife in Spetses
Spetses is renowned for its nightlife, which centers in the new port of Dapia and the main town.
The bars of Spetses have a long history as a meeting point for Greek and international celebrities, while in the island clubs you can dance until the early morning hours.
For an alternative summer night out we recommend watching a film at one of Spetses open air cinemas.
Food in Spetses
In Spetses you will taste great Mediterranean food. There are many tavernas, restaurants and all day bar-restaurants.
One of the things you should definitely try is the traditional almond sweet of Spetses -we recommend specifically the pattisserie of Politis or Klimis.
The church of Agios Nikolaos in Spetses
Useful information for Spetses
Spetses is one of the most cosmopolitan islands near mainland Greece. The island has modern tourist infrastructures and everything you'll need for your holidays, such as supermarkets, ATMs and pharmacies.
Near the port of Spetses you will also find a regional medical clinic.
In terms of accommodation, the island has several hotels and rooms to let, the majority of which are in the main town and near the port of Spetses.
We would recommend that you book your accommodation in advance, especially if you are planning to go to Spetses for a weekend.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Spetses
Some useful contact numbers for your vacation in Spetses:
- Spetses Municipality:+302298320010
- Spetses Tourist Police:+302298073477
- Spetses Port Authority:+302298072245
- Spetses Citizen Service Center (KEP): +302298029585
- Spetses Medical Center:+302298072472
On a carriage ride admiring the architecture and landscapes of Spetses
Transportation in Spetses
In Spetses you mainly move around on foot, by bus or by boat (sea-taxis).
Only permanent residents with a special permit are allowed to move around Spetses by car.
Port in Spetses
The port of Spetses is located on the east coast of the island, close to the main town.
Island hopping from Spetses
Spetses is located between the Saronic Gulf and the Argolic Gulf and it has regular ferry connections to neighboring islands.
From Spetses you can go to the following destinations:
On our Map of ferries you can find all the available ferry connections from Spetses to plan your island hopping online!
Spetses ferry: schedules and tickets
Spetses is an ideal destination for getaways from Athens, as it is close to the city and it has frequent ferry connections from Piraeus as well as from Porto Heli and Ermioni in the Peloponnese.
Some more specific information about the ferries to Spetses:
- Piraeus-Spetses: One of the easiest ways to get from Athens to Spetses. During the summer there are at least 3 daily ferries, and the duration of the Piraeus-Spetses route is about 3 hours.
- Porto Heli-Spetses: During the summer, the ferry connection from Porto Heli runs at least twice a day and the journey takes only 10 minutes.
- Ermioni-Spetses: The routes from Ermioni run at least 2 times a day during the summer season. The journey takes about 20 minutes.
Where to book ferry tickets online to Spetses
On Ferryhopper you can book your ferry ticket to Spetses online with just 4 clicks! Compare all schedules, companies, types of ferry and prices and book your trip to Spetses and the islands of the Saronic Gulf at no extra cost.