Saronic Gulf, Greece
Spetses is a Greek island in the Argosaronic Gulf known for its aristocratic atmosphere and rich history.
On Ferryhopper, you can find all the information you need about your trip to Spetses: holidays on the island, top beaches and attractions, as well as ferry schedules. Discover the top experiences in Spetses and book cheap ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with no hidden fees!
Quiet, sunny day at the port of Spetses
Vacation in Spetses
Spetses is one of the most cosmopolitan islands of the Saronic Gulf.
It is located opposite the famous tourist resort of Porto Cheli as well as close to Athens so it's great for a day trip or a long weekend.
The island has beautiful beaches and a lot of historical sites for exploring. It's an all-year-round holiday destination and great for all types of travelers including families, couples or groups of friends.
How to get to Spetses
You can get to Spetses by ferry from mainland Greece.
The main ports where you can catch a ferry to Spetses are Piraeus and Porto Cheli. The ferry trip duration from Piraeus to Spetses ranges from about 2-3 hours, depending on the type of vessel and ferry route.
You can also reach Spetses from one of the neighboring islands of the Saronic Gulf, such as Hydra.
Find more information about ferries to Spetses below.
The picturesque scenery at Agia Paraskevi beach
What to do in Spetses
The island is famous as the birthplace of Bouboulina (pronounced Bubulina), a Greek naval commander that had an important role during the Greek War of Independence. Her house, now a museum, is one of the top places to visit while in Spetses.
The island has a rich history and numerous monuments and historical sights that can be part of your daily strolls around the main town of Spetses.
In Spetses, apart from the impressive neoclassical architecture, you will enjoy the beautiful beaches surrounded by trees and picturesque landscapes.
Beaches in Spetses
Spetses has beautiful beaches with clear, turquoise waters. They have a combination of sand and pebbles, while the majority has umbrellas, sunbeds and a beach bar or a canteen.
There are also a few beaches with water sports facilities.
Here are our 10 favorite beaches in Spetses:
- Agios Mammas: the closest beach to the main town of Spetses. It is a large sandy beach with shallow waters, a favorite to families with children.
- Agia Marina: one of the most cosmopolitan and well-known beaches in Spetses. It has tourist facilities, shops, restaurants, cafe-bars as well as water sports facilites.
- Kounoupitsa: beautiful beach with golden sand and crystal clear waters close to the port of Spetses.
- Anargyrios Scholi: one of the most well-known beaches on the island with blue waters and pebbles.It has umbrellas, a beach bar, taverns, and water sports facilities.
- Agia Paraskevi: probably the most impressive beach in Spetses. It has crystal blue-green waters, and it's surrounded by pine trees. It is only accessible on foot or by boat, but there is a beach bar where you can get refreshments and snacks.
- Ligoneri: secluded beach with sand and pebbles, it can only be accessed via dirt road. Ideal if you want to spend some time away from the crowds.
- Zogeria: one of the prettiest beaches in Spetses. It has crystal green-blue waters and it's surrounded by lush vegetation with trees reaching the sea. It's perfect if you are looking to spend some relaxing time by the sea.
- Vrellos: small beach with crystal clear waters and pebbles. It has umbrellas, sunbeds and a beach bar.
- Agioi Anargyroi: the largest and most popular beach on the island. It's on the west coast and it is sandy, with crystal blue waters, umbrellas and water sports facilities.
- Xylokeriza: beach with pebbles at the south coast of Spetses. It has umbrellas and it's ideal if you are into diving, as it has amazing seabed.
The crystal clear waters off the coast of Spetses
Activities and sightseeing in Spetses
One of the best things to do in Spetses in to stroll around the main town and port, where you will admire the architecture, and you can visit museums and numerous attractions.
We also recommend exploring the rest of the island to discover its beautiful landscapes and beaches.
Ferryhopper suggests the following experiences in Spetses:
- Stroll around Dapia to admire the island's impressive architecture. Make sure that you visit the most famous sights at the area, such as the Museum of Bouboulina, the lighthouse at the port and the Mansion of Sotiri Anargyros.
- Explore the picturesque villages of the island, such as Agioi Anargyroi, Ligoneri and Kounoupitsa.
- If you are into sea activities then in Spetses you can definitely enjoy diving, snorkeling and fishing. You can also go for a boat ride and visit some of the caves of the island, such as the cave of Bekiris.
- The island is also great for outdoor activities as it has a lot of hiking trails and cycling routes, especially in the forest of Spetses. The island also hosts one of the biggest triathlon races in Greece, Spetsathlon.
Nightlife in Spetses
Spetses is renowned for its nightlife, which centers in the new port of Dapia and the main town.
The bars of Spetses have a long history as a meeting point for Greek and international celebrities, while in the island clubs you can dance until the early morning hours.
For an alternative summer night out, we recommend watching a film at one of Spetses open air cinemas.
Food in Spetses
In Spetses you will taste great Mediterranean food. There are many taverns, restaurants and all day bar-restaurants.
Here are more delicious local dishes to try in Spetses:
- fish a la spetsiota (fish cooked in tomato sauce)
- amygdalota (traditional almond sweets)
- pine honey
- spoon sweets
- lemon liqueur
Useful information about Spetses
Spetses is one of the most cosmopolitan islands near mainland Greece. The island has modern tourist infrastructures and everything you'll need for your holidays, such as supermarkets, ATMs and pharmacies.
Near the port of Spetses you will also find a regional medical clinic.
In terms of accommodation, the island has several hotels and rooms to let, the majority of which are in the main town and near the port of Spetses. We would recommend that you book your accommodation in advance, especially if you are planning to go to Spetses for a weekend.
Amazing sunset colors at Agios Nikolaos church in Spetses
Important phone numbers for your stay in Spetses
Some useful contact numbers for your vacation in Spetses:
- Spetses Municipality:+302298320010
- Spetses Tourist Police:+302298073477
- Spetses Port Authority:+302298072245
- Spetses Citizen Service Center (KEP): +302298029585
- Spetses Medical Center:+302298072472
Transportation in Spetses
In Spetses you mainly move around on foot, by bus or by boat (sea-taxis).
Only permanent residents with a special permit are allowed to move around Spetses by car.
Strolling around the promenade in Spetses
Port in Spetses
The port of Spetses is located on the east coast of the island, close to the main town.
Island hopping from Spetses
Spetses is located between the Saronic Gulf and the Argolic Gulf and it has regular ferry connections to neighboring islands.
From Spetses you can go to the following destinations:
On our Map of ferries you can find all the available ferry connections from Spetses to plan your island hopping online!
Spetses ferry: schedules and tickets
Spetses is an ideal destination for getaways from Athens, as it is close to the city and it has frequent ferry connections from Piraeus as well as from Porto Cheli and Ermioni in the Peloponnese.
Some more specific information about the ferries to Spetses:
- Piraeus-Spetses: one of the easiest ways to get from Athens to Spetses. During the summer there are at least 3 daily ferries, and the duration of the Piraeus-Spetses route is about 3 hours.
- Porto Cheli-Spetses: during summer, the ferry connection from Porto Cheli runs at least twice a day and the journey takes only 10 minutes.
- Ermioni-Spetses: the routes from Ermioni run at least 2 times a day during the summer season. The journey takes about 20 minutes.
Imposing buildings at Spetses port
Where to book ferry tickets to Spetses online
Ready for a perfect weekend escape in Spetses? Find all the information you need about ferry schedules and vacation in Spetses, plan your trip with ease and book cheap ferry tickets on Ferryhopper with no extra fees!