Kurzeme Region, Latvia
Liepāja is Latvia’s third-largest city also known as the cultural capital of the country. On Ferryhopper, you can find useful information about must-see places, local delicacies, and ferries to Liepāja and book your tickets easily and quickly!
The old forts' remains on the northern coast of Liepāja
Vacation in Liepāja
Liepāja is divided into 2 main areas: the city center, and Karosta, the northern part of the city, which used to be a secret Soviet military town.
The city is a cultural hub having several museums, musical festivals colorful markets, picturesque squares, and an impressive Concert Hall.
Also, it combines different architectural styles and historic charm with verdant parks and lakes. Therefore, Liepāja is a great destination, ideal for laid-back holidays, relaxation, and fun.
The best time to visit Liepaja is between April and October when temperatures are mild. During the winter, temperatures can drop to -20°C so if you are planning to travel to Latvia from November to March, make sure to bring warm clothes.
How to get to Liepāja
You can travel to Liepāja by plane or ferry. The Liepāja International Airport connects the city to several destinations with domestic and international flights. It is located about 10 km from the city of Liepāja and you can take a taxi, a bus, or a train to reach the city center from the airport.
Alternatively, you can reach Liepāja by ferry. There are ferry crossings connecting Liepāja to Germany. Traveling by ferry may take longer but you can embark your vehicle.
Also, you can book a cabin for a comfortable trip while enjoying the fascinating crossing and the breathtaking views from the ferry’s dock. Therefore, if you're planning to travel by ferry you can find more information about ferry routes and schedules from/to Liepāja on our Map of ferries.
What to do in Liepāja
Liepāja is an amazing city that is also known as the city where the wind was born probably because of the constant sea breezes. Liepāja is a cultural hub and has been the inspiration for a lot of famous composers and bands in Latvia.
Take a walk through the narrow cobblestone streets of the Old Town located in the south and head towards the coastline where you can search for amber stones tangled among black seaweeds.
Then, follow the road leading to the colorful Peter’s Market, just a few meters away from the beachfront, or continue your stroll through the magical park in the middle of the city with the Ghost Tree (Spoku koks), a tree with guitar chords instead of branches playing the music of Latvia's most beloved rock band, Līvi! Spooky or romantic?
Alternatively, you can visit the imposing Great Amber Concert Hall, an imposing cone-shaped structure resembling an amber stone sparkling in the daylight. After spending an hour exploring the Concert Hall, you can drink kvass (cereal-based low alcoholic beverage) or try black balsam (a local liqueur) in a traditional pub in the Old Town.
The beautiful building of the secondary school in Liepāja
Sightseeing in Liepāja
Liepāja is a welcoming city full of historical buildings balancing with impressive churches, colorful markets, and stunning natural landscapes. The city offers many options from exploring historical sites and visiting museums to strolling through the long promenade parallel to the sea.
Here you can find a list of the top sightseeing in Liepāja:
- Peter’s Market, the second-largest market in Latvia
- Karosta Prison, a military prison in operation until 1997
- The Concert Hall “Great Amber”, an impressive building hosting cultural and arts events
- The Square of Roses, the city’s meeting point for locals
- The Lighthouse of Liepāja in the colors of a candy cane
- The Monument for the fishermen and sailors lost at sea in the seaside park
- The Northern Fort, one of the four coastal defense batteries
- The Orthodox cathedral church of St.Nicholas, located in Karosta
- Kazdanga Castle and its manor complex, built between 1800 and 1804
- The Holy Trinity Cathedral, with the oldest unreconstructed mechanical organ in the world consisting of 7.000 pipes
- The Ghost Tree (Spoku koks), a musical tree dedicated to Līvi, one of Latvia's most beloved rock bands
The imposing Orthodox cathedral church of St.Nicholas in Liepāja
Nightlife in Liepāja
Liepāja has a vibrant nightlife and a vivid club and student scene with something for every taste. For a dance nightclub in Liepāja, take your friends and head towards the Old Town.
However, during summer, bars at the seafront are the best option for a cocktail and dancing until late.
Food in Liepāja
Latvian cuisine offers plenty of varieties of bread and dairy products that are addictive and delicious. Here are some of the most finger-licking local delicacies to try during your stay in Liepāja:
- pickled herring
- smoked salmon
- aukstā zupa (cold beet soup)
- maizes zupa (a sweet soup made with black bread, fruits, and cream)
- frikadelle (meatballs)
- piragi (a bread roll filled with bacon, minced meat, cabbage, or cheese)
- black balsam, a herbal liqueur made of plants, berries, and spices
- rupjmaize (a type of black bread)
- Alexandertorte (pastry filled with raspberry jam)
The traditional Latvian drink, kvass
Here are 4 tips for your stay in Liepāja:
- Always respect the rules and do not litter since it is considered to be bad manners and you can get a fine.
- In Liepāja, they eat their dinner relatively early so keep in mind that most local restaurants serve dinner until 18:00. Keep in mind that it is also expected to leave a tip of 10% of the total amount of your order. In some restaurants, a service charge is already included in your bill.
- Make sure to exchange money at banks or exchange offices that operate on weekdays from 09:00 to 16:00.
- Since 2014, Latvia’s currency is the euro and you can pay by card or cash. However, cash is preferred in Liepāja so make sure that you always have cash on you.
Useful information about Liepāja
Liepāja is the third-largest city in Latvia, a lively city with modern and impressive architecture. It has highly developed tourist services and there are things to see and do all year long.
Regarding accommodation in Liepāja, you can find many options depending on your style and budget. If you want to go sightseeing, the best area to stay is near the Old Town.
As for hospitals, there are several options in the center of Liepāja and the suburbs in case of emergency.
Important phone numbers for your stay in Liepāja
Here are some useful contacts for your trip to Liepāja:
- Liepāja Port Authority: +3713427605
- Liepāja Police Department: +37163420269
- Liepāja Public Transport Network: +37163404794
- Liepāja Hospital: +37163403231
- Liepāja International Airport: +37163407592
- European emergency number: 112
Transportation in Liepāja
Liepāja has an extensive public transport network. You can easily move around the city by tram, bus, and mini-bus on particular routes.
However, if you want to travel in the region, we recommend you rent a car to explore Latvia in comfort.
Tip: when using public transport, buy tickets before the trip at the bus station, train station, or other ticket offices, as buying a ticket on board can be more expensive.
A military fort on the seafront of Liepāja
Ports in Liepāja
The port of Liepāja is located on the western Latvian coastline. The port operates as a cargo handling facility but there are also ferry connections between Latvia and Germany.
You can easily reach it by train, bus or car. If you are driving from the capital of Riga take the A9 and follow signs for "Osta" and then “Brivosta”. However, if you are traveling from Klaipeda drive on Zirnu Street. The ferry to Travemünde departs from the Stena Line ferry terminal.
Liepāja ferry: schedules and tickets
The ferry from Travemünde to Liepāja connects Latvia with Germany. There are up to 5 weekly connections between Travemünde and Liepāja that are operated by Stena Line all year round. The ferry trip can last about 21 hours and the ticket cost starts at €60.
The beautiful port of Liepāja
Where to book ferry tickets to Liepāja online
On Ferryhopper, you can find all available ferry routes to and from/to Liepāja, compare prices, departure times, and book cheap ferry tickets to Liepāja online at the same prices as ferry companies!
Liepāja ferry timetable
View the complete ferry schedule from and to Liepāja for the upcoming week. Find up-to-date trip information, including departure and arrival dates and times, ferry operators and ticket prices.