Fear of flying? Travel to Ibiza by ferry!
It's all about the sea
Particularly these days, many people feel uneasy on planes. Although air transport is one of the most popular ways to travel, it is said that 7% of passengers have a fear of flying.
No worries; we would lie if we said we didn’t feel more comfortable out in the open sea too. Catching the ferry to Ibiza is one of the best experiences and the right way to get in the mood for holidays in the Balearics. Learn all about traveling to Ibiza by ferry below and plan your trip online.
Ferry sailing in the Balearic Sea
Why traveling by ferry to Ibiza is the best option?
Traveling to Ibiza by ferry is a fantastic experience! Whether you’re afraid of planes or you simply want to live the Mediterranean lifestyle to its fullest, ferry travel is a great choice.
Here are 6 reasons why a ferry to Ibiza is the way to go:
- Comfort: on board the ferry to Ibiza, you can choose between different fares and ticket types. You can book a cabin for total privacy or upgrade to a premium seat for a more relaxing journey. If you value freedom of movement, you can comfortably explore the on-board ferry services; have a drink, watch the open sea from the deck or simply have a nap.
- Open-air space: being able to breathe fresh air and practice social distancing if you need is a number one priority, especially within the context of Covid-19. You can spend the entire trip on the deck of the ferry, gazing at the sea. If you feel uncomfortable in the cramped seats of a plane, the ferry to Ibiza is a great option!
- Vehicle transfer: for the time being (and a little longer than that), you cannot carry your vehicle on the plane. Getting to Ibiza by ferry means you can bring your own vehicle and explore the island in comfort. Have a road trip or bring your caravan to live the hippie life of the Balearics.
- Exploration: you can catch the ferry to Ibiza from mainland Spain at 3 ports along the country’s east coast. Feel free to explore the regions of Catalonia and Valencia before you hop on the ferry to Ibiza.
- Luggage and pets: ferries are more spacious than planes, which means you can bring as much as you need for your holidays in Ibiza. Carry your bicycles, bring lots of luggage with clothes for any occasion and don’t forget your pet! Pets love Ibiza! Learn more about traveling with your pet by ferry in Spain here.
- Family-friendly trip: ferries are the ultimate family-friendly travel option. On board a ferry to Ibiza you can enjoy quality family time. Kids can explore the ferry, watch films and videos using the free Wi-Fi, or head to the game room. There is space for isolation and privacy, and you can get a cabin bed to put your baby to sleep in silence.
Watching the sunset from the deck of the ferry to Ibiza
Where does the ferry to Ibiza go?
There are two ports in Ibiza: Ibiza Town and San Antonio. The port of Ibiza Town is located on the southeast coast of the island, while San Antonio is on the southwest.
Depending on your destination on the island, you can choose which port better fits your itinerary. You can get to the two ports from Barcelona, Valencia and Dénia, as well as Mallorca and Formentera.
What is the best way to get to Ibiza?
The best way to get to Ibiza from mainland Spain is to catch a ferry from the port of Dénia, Valencia or Barcelona.
The trip from Dénia to Ibiza is the shortest one, lasting from 2 to 3 hours, almost as much as the plane trip, including security checks. The port of Dénia is on the southeast coast of Spain.
If you’re traveling to Ibiza passing by the north part of Spain, the best option is to take a ferry from Barcelona. Although the route is longer, there are regular daily crossings.
Tip: planning your trip from the UK? Find out how you can travel from the UK to Spain by ferry here.
Ferry to Ibiza at the impressive port of Barcelona
How far is Ibiza from mainland Spain?
The distance between Ibiza and mainland Spain is approximately 81 nautical miles (150 km). The closest port to Ibiza is Dénia in the community of Valencia, just 110 km away.
Approaching the quaint port of Ibiza Town on a beautiful day
How to get to Ibiza without flying?
You can travel to Ibiza by ferry all year round. Here are more details about popular ferry routes to Ibiza:
- Ferry from Barcelona to Ibiza: Baleària, Grandi Navi Veloci and Trasmed operate on the Barcelona - Ibiza route daily. It takes 6-10 hours to reach the island of Ibiza, and standard tickets are €40-€55 on average.
- Ferry from Dénia to Ibiza: you can travel from Dénia to Ibiza daily with Baleària. It is just 2-3.5 hours from Dénia to San Antonio in Ibiza, and tickets cost around €65-€75.
- Ferry from Valencia to Ibiza: there are around 2 daily ferry crossings from Valencia to Ibiza, operated by Baleària, Grandi Navi Veloci and Trasmed. Tickets for the conventional ferry start at €50-€56, and the journey duration is 5-7.5 hours.
- Ferry from Mallorca to Ibiza: it takes an average of 3 hours to travel from Palma de Mallorca to the ports of Ibiza. The Mallorca - Ibiza crossing is served daily by Baleària, Grandi Navi Veloci and Trasmed, with standard tickets starting at around €50.
Tip: check the latest Covid-19 ferry travel measures in Spain to plan your trip with confidence.
The lush green coast of Puerto de San Miguel in Ibiza
Book ferry tickets to Ibiza online
On Ferryhopper, you can book ferry tickets to Ibiza without any hidden fees. Take a look at our interactive Map of ferries, plan your trip step-by-step, and wave goodbye to your fear of flying as you sail to Ibiza!