Traveling with Fred. Olsen Express’ largest catamaran
The big friendly giant of the Canaries!
Betancuria Express is the largest highspeed catamaran of Fred. Olsen Express. You can enjoy the experience of traveling with one of the world’s largest highspeed ferries on the route between Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura. Read our blog to find out more about the impressive vessel, the scheduled route and the on-board services.
The Betancuria Express sailing from Fuerteventura to Gran Canaria © Fred. Olsen Express, 2010
Information about the vessel
The ferry was built in 2011 in Australia and it belongs to the fleet of Fred. Olsen Express since 2018. It travels between Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura, and it is one of the largest highspeed catamarans in the world!
How big is the Fred. Olsen Express ferry?
The highspeed catamaran Betancuria Express can accommodate up to 1598 passengers and 357 cars. It is 115 m long and 26.2 m wide.
The large garage of the Betancuria Express © Fred. Olsen Express, 2010
How fast is the Fred. Olsen Express ferry?
The Betancuria Express ferry can travel at a speed of up to 70 km per hour (38 knots).
What are the onboard services?
Although the trip is short, there are quite a few services to make you feel comfortable and enjoy the journey. The Betancuria Express is a modern vessel with state-of-the-art amenities both for grown-ups and kids. You can spend your time gazing at the open sea, relaxing at the comfy seats, watching videos, or playing with your kids. Here's a breakdown of the onboard services:
- Entertainment: there’s free Wi-Fi service on board the Fred. Olsen Express ferry. You can stream your favorite series or catch up with your loved ones. You can also access the free on-board entertainment platform for live TV, series, movies, games, and music.
- Gastronomy: you can enjoy a snack or a drink at the ferry’s cafeterias and bars. There’s a selection of refreshments and food items to choose from.
- Accommodation: the Betancuria Express features comfortable spacious seating to relax and enjoy the sea views. Put on your headphones, listen to music and lay back. You may want to upgrade to a Gold Class fare for priority boarding, access to a premium lounge, as well as complimentary drinks and meals. There’s also a large garage for your car, motorcycle, or caravan.
- Families: families traveling with children can access the digital kids’ entertainment services for free. There’s an interactive game zone and children TV programs on the On Board Club platform. You can also find a game room with board games.
- Shopping: there are a few shops, where you can buy gifts, souvenirs, food, and other memorabilia.
Enjoy a cup of coffee at the premium class ferry lounge © Fred. Olsen Express, 2010
Where does the Betancuria Express ferry travel?
The largest ferry of Fred. Olsen Express travels between Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura. The ferry trip takes around 2 hours. Traveling with Fred. Olsen Express’ largest catamaran is the fastest way to get from the port Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Morro Jable in Fuerteventura.
The route is in operation throughout the year and tickets start at around €47. The highspeed catamaran normally departs from Gran Canaria once or twice a day. The earliest ferry usually leaves at 09:30 and arrives in Fuerteventura around 11:30. The evening ferry departs at 22:00, reaching Morro Jable at 22:15.
The meeting point of the magical beaches of Barlovento and Cofete in Fuerteventura
Is the Betancuria Express ferry active?
Yes, the Fred. Olsen Express highspeed ferry is currently active, operating on the route between Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura.
Book ferry tickets online
On Ferryhopper, you can book cheap ferry tickets for the Gran Canaria - Fuerteventura route. Find all ferry routes for the Canary Islands on Ferryhopper’s Map of ferries, compare ferry companies and fares, and organize your trip with ease!